This just in... VU has a game this evening

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

This just in... VU has a game this evening

Post by historybill »

at South Carolina, 5:30 pm, SEC network.

Thought I'd point it out because no one else has done so.

Mcflash
Lieutenant

Re: This just in... VU has a game this evening

Post by Mcflash »

Amen! We really need to win this game. Last week goes to naught if we slip up against USC.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

historybill wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:49 am at South Carolina, 5:30 pm, SEC network.

Thought I'd point it out because no one else has done so.
it is a big game in that is the lone remaining game where we are currently favored to win. But it is on the road so it is not without danger. Basically a must win game but a game that if we win doesn't move the needle much for us unless we can blow them out. In addition this is a team that took us to OT at home the first time we played them, partially due to 3/5ths of our lineup being inverted, as we spotted USC an 8 point lead in the first 5 minutes. I think we have a chance to jump on USC early if we start Robbins and Manjon which has been the more recent iteration.

USC is coming off a win as well, though they had lost the 8 games prior to Ole Miss, which has collapsed in SEC play.

I'd love to see us jump out to a huge lead on them early and destroy their will to win early to make this a relatively easy game. We should be significantly better than USC, which has proven to not be a good team.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

they have one of the better freshmen in the conference and a brand new coach and their women's team is number 1 on an extended winning streak - hope we can get a win in Columbia. It will not be easy and we are due to a letdown - this is a real test for the team and coaching staff.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I just hope Stack has yelled at them and reminded them that everything they accomplished in beating UT and Florida -- creating the remote possibility that if the team continues on this streak, they MIGHT make the tournament -- would be lost if they lose tonight.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Somebody is going to have to step up tonight and hopefully it is someone due - like Stute or one of the frosh. I just have a feeling that Liam may be a bit exhausted and not feel challenged going into tonight like he was at Florida. Just win!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:42 am they have one of the better freshmen in the conference and a brand new coach and their women's team is number 1 on an extended winning streak - hope we can get a win in Columbia. It will not be easy and we are due to a letdown - this is a real test for the team and coaching staff.
I'd actually be more concerned if we were playing the South Carolina women's team.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I doubt we win. yes, this is a jinx.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:56 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:42 am they have one of the better freshmen in the conference and a brand new coach and their women's team is number 1 on an extended winning streak - hope we can get a win in Columbia. It will not be easy and we are due to a letdown - this is a real test for the team and coaching staff.
I'd actually be more concerned if we were playing the South Carolina women's team.
Their women's team is very good, but I don't think they could keep up with Ezra or shoot over Liam. Rebounding would also be an issue for them.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

This is the type of game that shows if things are truly changing I think. This type of game (road game vs a bad team in an less than hostile environment) has been an issue for us in the past (think the MSU loss Stallings last year). This is a game that is in a very dangerous spot as well coming off back to back big wins and another huge opportunity at home Saturday vs Auburn. Hope to see us come out and assert ourselves early and finish the deal but I will take any win in this spot, USCe is coming off a road win and has been competitive in their last few games including taking Arkansas and Georgia down to the wire.

Ill go us winning 76-72, I think its competitive and we shouldn't freak out if it is close.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Huge game, not for any good reason. It just is. For some strange reason this year, it is ridiculously difficult for road teams (even favored ones) to get wins.

This game IS important to get to above .500 (final record) and comfortably into the NIT. The NCAA's are a pipe dream, they're out. We aren't even on any single watch list. We'd have to jump over about 25 teams with a half-dozen games left in the season. Ain't happenin'. But at least we can position ourselves well for the NIT.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:07 pm The NCAA's are a pipe dream, they're out. We aren't even on any single watch list. We'd have to jump over about 25 teams with a half-dozen games left in the season. Ain't happenin'. But at least we can position ourselves well for the NIT.
Glad to see some positive vibes! ;)
Locked Previous topicNext topic