Not enough talent to compete in SEC simple as that

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

janvandy66
Ensign

Not enough talent to compete in SEC simple as that

Post by janvandy66 »

We do not have enough talent to compete in the sec. If we don't recruit a lot better then we have we will never have a winning record and that is up to the coach and staff. What else can you say!!!

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Re: Not enough talent to compete in SEC simple as that

Post by DS2001 »

That is obvious. I sit in the first couple of rows on the Vandy side and there are 20-30 players down there that have no business suiting up for an SEC game. I’m not talking about the kickers/punters either. And I’m not talking about the running backs. It’s the linemen, linebackers that have me concerned. The casual fan could look out on the field and see the size disparity.
If we don’t recruit/develop both sides of the line, it simply isn’t going to get appreciably better.
I look at Barton Simmons down there and wonder what he must be thinking. I think they’re really having a hard time recruiting decent linemen.
Most of what’s down there on the sideline right now isn’t going to cut it in SEC games.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Absolutely: we don't have enough SEC talent - just like always. Maybe we can figure it out but if it were simple we would have done it. It has way more to do than who is the coach. The good thing is, football is the only sport that we perennially can't recruit enough student atletes to win or be competitive. It starts with the student part, of course. SEC schools don't have to worry about admissions...
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Then the question becomes, is there a point at which a university that prides itself on being a moral institution decides that it's unfair to continue sacrificing its football student athletes at the altar of SEC cash that benefits the other student athletes. Some on here think that's fine. Maybe the Divinity School or the Philosophy Department could consider that dilemma.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Agree.
However Lea & Co's recruiting is clearly better than previous. Much of the talent there is on this team is young, which doesn't translate to wins now, but is encouraging for the future.
I'd say the main challenges are:
1) can they maintain recruiting momentum for this cycle given the results on field and
2) can they improve on field results in the near future to boost recruiting and prevent wholesale fan base disaffection.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

alathIN wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:15 am Agree.
However Lea & Co's recruiting is clearly better than previous. Much of the talent there is on this team is young, which doesn't translate to wins now, but is encouraging for the future.
I'd say the main challenges are:
1) can they maintain recruiting momentum for this cycle given the results on field and
2) can they improve on field results in the near future to boost recruiting and prevent wholesale fan base disaffection.
3) Can they retain good talent and not lose them to the portal.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

The recruiting has to extend beyond normal recruiting. Need to exploit the transfer portal which past adm have never really been in favor of. And maybe because of the extra Covid year, it’s amazing how many teams have 24-25 year olds playing. We also don’t have the same extensive array of grad degree programs that state schools have to entice grad players to stay or transfer in
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

Agree with your statements. Would like to add the importance of continuing the investment in athletic programs. Vandy has been recruiting off the sketches, plans and commitments but to see buildings rise in the endzones after the end of the season will provide concrete proof of the commitment.
DonYates
Commodore

Post by DonYates »

That includes coaching talent.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

We have players with SEC size, and they don't have SEC speed.
We have players with SEC speed, and they don't have SEC size.
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

Since there is no longer amateurism, any reason we can't just pick up some guys cut from pro football teams with eligibility left? There should be a bunch of them--maybe now motivated by the real world to get a degree. Since college athletes have the right to be professional and be eligible, it would seem professionals would have the right to be college students and be eligible.
GrumpyOldDore
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:38 am Then the question becomes, is there a point at which a university that prides itself on being a moral institution decides that it's unfair to continue sacrificing its football student athletes at the altar of SEC cash that benefits the other student athletes. Some on here think that's fine. Maybe the Divinity School or the Philosophy Department could consider that dilemma.
Estimates for the yearly SEC dividend after UT & OU join: $100 mil/year. That many reasons Vandy will never voluntarily leave the SEC.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:46 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:38 am Then the question becomes, is there a point at which a university that prides itself on being a moral institution decides that it's unfair to continue sacrificing its football student athletes at the altar of SEC cash that benefits the other student athletes. Some on here think that's fine. Maybe the Divinity School or the Philosophy Department could consider that dilemma.
Estimates for the yearly SEC dividend after UT & OU join: $100 mil/year. That many reasons Vandy will never voluntarily leave the SEC.
As I said in my first post, some on here are fine with sacrificial lambs.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

janvandy66 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:25 am We do not have enough talent to compete in the sec. If we don't recruit a lot better then we have we will never have a winning record and that is up to the coach and staff. What else can you say!!!
Our freshmen class is good enough. If we stack two more of those together, we'll be plenty competitive against middle of the road SEC teams. You can see some flashes, but we just need more.

I'm more concerned about AJ. We need to sit him the rest of the season and take good care of him.
Last edited by buffy on Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:47 am
Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:46 pm
As I said in my first post, some on here are fine with sacrificial lambs.
Fayette, have to remind you that Vanderbilt has beaten your Vols 5 times in recent memory and the player sarifices were worth it. Just ask them. As others have said, if we stack a few more classes we will win some SEC games again, maybe even the Vols. You can bet the players do not regret playing for Vanderbilt in the SEC: they are competitors - some not recruited by SEC who would love to show the SEC how wrong they were. Of course they and we would prefer to win every game - that would be more fun and make all the work even more rewarding, but for reasons amply dicussed we do not have enough athletes
So choose another criticism of Vanderbilt: nobody is sarificing except the places like UT who can't abide by recruiting rules - those places are sacrificing their name, such as it is, just to win. Glad we do not do that.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Don't flame me for asking because I honestly don't know. Can one sport leave the SEC and not affect the other sports at that University for staying in the SEC? Not sure I phrased that right so in layman terms, can the football team leave and not affect the baseball or basketball teams (men's and women's?)
Locked Previous topicNext topic