Stats

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Stats

Post by Ndorefin »

I know there’s a lot of complaints about our hitters striking out. I guess everything gets magnified when you are on a losing streak, but we are #2 in the SEC with the least number of strikeouts!!! We are #2 in striking out opponents, 1 behind ut who’s played more games. We are #2 in ERA by a large margin, #2 In bat avg against and #1 in least number of homers allowed!! We are #3 in being avg, but we are not scoring runs at a pace we are accustomed to and not hitting any home runs.

I know many posters love stats and judging by our numbers, I would say we are not having a bad year, just in a slump. I hope we pick it up this weekend against a good Auburn team.

I hate to say it but ut is the most complete team I have seen in a long time and the remainder of their SEC schedule looks extremely weak with UGA being the only ranked team left to play. I actually believe our record of 26 SEC wins in a season could be in jeopardy! Their biggest concern may be that they are relying on a young pitching staff who is not accustomed to such a lengthy season. Here’s hoping they hit a rough patch soon!!!

Let’s please stop with the gloom and doom…remember, this team was in the finals of the CWS last year!!

commadore
Admiral

Re: Stats

Post by commadore »

Ndorefin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:26 pm I know there’s a lot of complaints about our hitters striking out. I guess everything gets magnified when you are on a losing streak, but we are #2 in the SEC with the least number of strikeouts!!! We are #2 in striking out opponents, 1 behind ut who’s played more games. We are #2 in ERA by a large margin, #2 In bat avg against and #1 in least number of homers allowed!! We are #3 in being avg, but we are not scoring runs at a pace we are accustomed to and not hitting any home runs.

I know many posters love stats and judging by our numbers, I would say we are not having a bad year, just in a slump. I hope we pick it up this weekend against a good Auburn team.

I hate to say it but ut is the most complete team I have seen in a long time and the remainder of their SEC schedule looks extremely weak with UGA being the only ranked team left to play. I actually believe our record of 26 SEC wins in a season could be in jeopardy! Their biggest concern may be that they are relying on a young pitching staff who is not accustomed to such a lengthy season. Here’s hoping they hit a rough patch soon!!!

Let’s please stop with the gloom and doom…remember, this team was in the finals of the CWS last year!!
Of course so was Mississippi State and they are 18-12.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

commadore wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:56 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:26 pm I know there’s a lot of complaints about our hitters striking out. I guess everything gets magnified when you are on a losing streak, but we are #2 in the SEC with the least number of strikeouts!!! We are #2 in striking out opponents, 1 behind ut who’s played more games. We are #2 in ERA by a large margin, #2 In bat avg against and #1 in least number of homers allowed!! We are #3 in being avg, but we are not scoring runs at a pace we are accustomed to and not hitting any home runs.

Of course so was Mississippi State and they are 18-12.
And Mississippi State is the descending national champion.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Another thing to remember is UT did everything right (save for the bat fiasco) the entire weekend. Played with a purpose and focus.

Screw their fans all the same....
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I knew I shouldn’t have added that last sentence….I made it much too easy for the naysayers!
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

your stats are skewed by non-conference. We are terrible against SEC pitching.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Yea we've been beating up on some bad teams out of conference. Inflating our stats. Is there any obvious place to go to see SEC conference only baseball stats by team? To easily compare our conference stats to the rest of the league? (tangent rant... For all the money the SEC brings in, their sec sports website is garbage. Never has anything useful. That site should be loaded with current year and historical standings, stats, records, etc... for all sports. They should have a baseball reference like stats for all the sec sports)

Back on topic at least vucommodores shows the current year total stats and breaks out conference stats. Obviously conference stats will always be lower but its a huge discrepancy. And we have a number of hitters that have been near automatic outs in conference. We only have 4 guys with an OPS (onbase plus slugging) above 750. And even with those 4 I cant remember many timely or big hits in big moments.

https://vucommodores.com/wp-content/upl ... 4.8.22.pdf

https://vucommodores.com/wp-content/upl ... 4.8.22.pdf

The one somewhat amazing thing is that for as bad as our hitting has been, our pitching has held our conference opponents to very similar but slightly WORSE numbers. Small enough sample size where that first game against Mizzou is still probably skewing a lot of the stats.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:19 pmAnd Mississippi State is the descending national champion.
NYD, sorry, i think you meant "depending". Or "deadending". "Deep-ending"?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:05 am
nyyankeeDore wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:19 pmAnd Mississippi State is the descending national champion.
NYD, sorry, i think you meant "depending". Or "deadending". "Deep-ending"?
All of those terms are applicable.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

The pitching and covid last year took you to the finals, to be fair we could all see this year would be like it is. Its a down year... probably going to fall out of the top 25 , probably going to be 12-18 in the SEC.... should go to the SEC tourney and bow out early... won't host a regional... and likely doesn't get out of the regionals. It it what it is, hoping other teams do poorly , so your mediocre team can go further is for sh*t
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 am The pitching and covid last year took you to the finals, to be fair we could all see this year would be like it is. Its a down year... probably going to fall out of the top 25 , probably going to be 12-18 in the SEC.... should go to the SEC tourney and bow out early... won't host a regional... and likely doesn't get out of the regionals. It it what it is, hoping other teams do poorly , so your mediocre team can go further is for sh*t
I’m glad we were he only team to benefit from the Covid year! Since this is our team, who is your team….let’s hear it?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Ndorefin wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:45 pm
PinkFloyd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 am The pitching and covid last year took you to the finals, to be fair we could all see this year would be like it is. Its a down year... probably going to fall out of the top 25 , probably going to be 12-18 in the SEC.... should go to the SEC tourney and bow out early... won't host a regional... and likely doesn't get out of the regionals. It it what it is, hoping other teams do poorly , so your mediocre team can go further is for sh*t
I’m glad we were he only team to benefit from the Covid year! Since this is our team, who is your team….let’s hear it?
To be fair, I think Pink was referring to NC State's covid-related disqualification at Omaha which allowed Vandy to advance. Pink, if I'm wrong, please advise.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Vandy187187 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:01 am your stats are skewed by non-conference. We are terrible against SEC pitching.
Whose stats aren’t skewed by non-conference??? We played 3 games against ranked teams, ut played 1 which they lost, Arky hasn’t played any!! Ole miss just played their first on Tuesday and lost.

We’ve lost 6 straight SEC games and you state we are terrible against SEC pitching…..that’s quite an astute observation!
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

I have no team..... just wish people would be honest .... realize what we have here and build it over. Recruiting is an issue. New lefty , no size, maxed out velo to 92 93. From a scout perspective he better get the secondaries down pat..... or as the innings stack up in college the arm issue arise...not a jake eder
Locked Previous topicNext topic