A little analysis and Friday predictions

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

A little analysis and Friday predictions

Post by dallasdore »

Record on CWS predictions so far: 8-2 (starting to feel like I'm cruising here).

We play at 1:00 central. What is our record, and what are our hitting stats, in day games? I'm very curious.

Vandy versus NCSt: I'm seeing rumors about Rocker starting, and I'm not sure how I feel about it with the weather. If Reilly is starting with a live bullpen, I love our chances to win PLUS get to finals PLUS win it all, regardless of what happens with weather. But with Rocker starting? IF the game starts (whether on time or delayed) and there is no delay thereafter, advantage us. If the game starts (whether on time or delayed) and there is a delay, and Rocker started, enormous disadvantage for us. Our hitters are going to hit, but NCSt might as well. I would almost rather save Rocker for Saturday with this weather delay threat since Leiter is unavailable until Monday anyway, but I trust Corbs. I think the weather will have everything to do with the outcome tomorrow, and if Rocker is starting our chances for winning it all (imagine if we waste Rocker for a couple inning outing with a long rain delay, ugh). For now, I will trust that nothing strange will happen. Vanderbilt over NC State.

Miss State over Texas. Ordinarily I think this is a toss-up in game 1, although I firmly believe that MSU will go to the finals. Texas played well into the night then has to come out and play again 17 hours later. Stinks being in bracket 2. Sounds like a disadvantage, correct? Well, teams oftentimes ride that momentum when having to turn around and play again, and Texas is overall the most talented team left and still has the best overall pitching staff in the country. But Miss State is well rested and has the best 1-4 hitters lineup in the country. This will highly likely be a one run game but Miss State goes to their first finals. Miss State over Texas

VUDU
Lieutenant

Re: A little analysis and Friday predictions

Post by VUDU »

I agree with you about the weather affecting our pitching re: Rocker, but the thought is, if he pitches today (Friday), he can come back on Wednesday if we make it that far. If he pitches Saturday, he can't. Also, if rain delays the Friday game and he can only go maybe 3 or 4 innings, we could probably bring him back on Tuesday. All assuming we even make it that far, of course.

Not sure about Leiter on Saturday. Everybody thinks we'll do that, but he threw 123 (?) pitches on Monday. I'm thinking if he does pitch Saturday, he might only be able to throw maybe 70 or 75 pitches. Is it worth doing that and burning him for the finals? I don't know, but I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: A little analysis and Friday predictions

Post by dallasdore »

VUDU wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:04 am I agree with you about the weather affecting our pitching re: Rocker, but the thought is, if he pitches today (Friday), he can come back on Wednesday if we make it that far. If he pitches Saturday, he can't. Also, if rain delays the Friday game and he can only go maybe 3 or 4 innings, we could probably bring him back on Tuesday. All assuming we even make it that far, of course.

Not sure about Leiter on Saturday. Everybody thinks we'll do that, but he threw 123 (?) pitches on Monday. I'm thinking if he does pitch Saturday, he might only be able to throw maybe 70 or 75 pitches. Is it worth doing that and burning him for the finals? I don't know, but I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.
I would be stunned if we brought Leiter back for NCSt for pretty much the exact reasons you mentioned. He threw a ton of pitches on Monday, and if we use him saturday he will both have a limited pitch count, plus we lose him for the finals for sure.

I would think if Rocker got the start on Saturday, we could bring him back for a game 3 on Wednesday. No? Other than that, I just don't want to burn a start that has an early rain delay in the 2nd-5th innings and we have to bring someone else in. That sounds like suicide to me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic