NCAA Tourney/Selection Thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: NCAA Tourney/Selection Thread

Post by MrMemorial »

A32Win wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:28 pm So this morning teamrankings.com does indeed have Vandy listed as a 10-seed with a 97% probability of being in the NCAA Tournament, as pointed out above. They rank Vandy as #40 which seems way more appropriate than the ridiculous 79 the net came up with, imho.

At a 97% probability if Vandy is not picked I will never look at their website again but if the Dores make the cut then respect will be due.
TR is a good and entertaining factual source of information. I've looked at it for years.

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

If the committee takes at least six SEC teams, I don't know how the 'Dores can be left out. SEC teams are the only teams we've played in 2023 and we are definitely one of the top six SEC teams. (I would argue we're even better than sixth best in the SEC.)

At the moment, I would like to say that we have all been brain-washed by Joe Lunardi. I hope the committee has not been drinking the Kool Aid.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Not sure what to make of Miss. State / Pitt being a play-in game. How does that bode for VU since we beat both of them? Or do our wins have any impact?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Seadog73 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:20 pm Not sure what to make of Miss. State / Pitt being a play-in game. How does that bode for VU since we beat both of them? Or do our wins have any impact?
In our minds, yes.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Arkansas an 8 Seed in the west with a losing SEC record.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Auburn? Seriously???
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MS State in, so VU is out. Which is absolute BS.

So....

Had VU not beaten UK twice - thereby advancing to the SECT semis - but instead beat Southern Miss and Grambling in November/early December, that would indicate that they are a better team than MS State? (Or Auburn or Arkansas, whom they also beat head-to-head)
Shouldn't how you're playing in February and March matter more for MARCH Madness than what you did in the second game of the season and the game right before exams, which your student athletes actually need to study for?

The argument of the committee is the fact that VU lost two games at the very beginning of the season that it "shouldn't have" writes off the fact that they outplayed ten other teams in the SEC in the regular season and tournament?
Has an SEC team that tied for 4th in the regular season and made the semis of the SECT EVER been left out of the post-expansion Dance???

Asinine. Absolutely absurd.

EDIT: Adding insult to injury, MS State is playing Pitt in the 11-seed play-in game, another team VU beat.

EDIT 2: Also, how is TX A&M’s NET so much higher than VU’s when they have TWO Quad 4 losses??? NET is bogus. Committee is more bogus. Jason, you can feel free to educate me on why the NET isn’t broke. But I’m sorry. VU has legitimate beef with being left out with their resume.
Last edited by UltimateVUFan on Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

We finished 4th sec regular season and had a top 4 sec tournament finish.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

So, to summarize, VU beat:
- a 4-seed
- a 6-seed (twice)
- an 8-seed
- a 9-seed
- TWO 11-seeds

Cool…
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

The only thing i can think of is the Committee actually evaluates the entire season, not just the last month.
Mcflash
Lieutenant

Post by Mcflash »

The only thing I can think of is the comittee had its mind made up in January.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I guess I have but one thing to add. Are we VU fans so oblivious to the history of the NCAA as to expect rational or just behavior ? The NCAA ? We should know better.

At least they didn't execute Goulborne for buying a parking pass with his own money; so I guess there is that.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

The Tar Heels turned down their NIT bid, fwiw
Locked Previous topicNext topic