SEC Nation coming to Vandy on September 10

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

SEC Nation coming to Vandy on September 10

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Just prior to kickoff of the Wake game.

GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Re: SEC Nation coming to Vandy on September 10

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

Could someone please direct me to the Commons Lawn? I'm the same guy who was shamed by a graduate student for not knowing where the library was when I was a junior, I believe.
GrumpyOldDore
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Isn't it on the Peabody campus?
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Here's what I found on the campus map. You're welcome.

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/map/?s=Commons

The scale is a bit large, but it is on the Peabody campus, across 21st in the cluster of red pins.
Last edited by Seadog73 on Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrumpyOldDore
Ensign

Post by GrumpyOldDore »

Thank you much. I never got past the women's dorm on the Peabody campus.
GrumpyOldDore
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Looking forward to a good game and VU win over a ranked opponent. It would be nice to have a loud home crowd.

Due to a longstanding prior commitment, I'm unable to make the Ole Miss game -- which means that due to this year's odd scheduling, my NEXT VU game won't be until Nov. 5. Hate that!
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

While the commons/Peabody is certainly a lot prettier than the parking lots… It’s a pity this is going to take place so far away from all the tailgating. Especially considering it happens right before kick off. The show will wrap and everyone will be 20+ minutes away from the Dud
Last edited by vu2003rpl on Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:37 pm Looking forward to a good game and VU win over a ranked opponent. It would be nice to have a loud home crowd.

Due to a longstanding prior commitment, I'm unable to make the Ole Miss game -- which means that due to this year's odd scheduling, my NEXT VU game won't be until Nov. 5. Hate that!
I’ve got the same problem. Totally bummed!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:23 pm While the commons/Peabody is certainly a lot prettier than the parking lots… It’s a pity this is going to take place so far away from all the tailgating. Especially considering it happens right before kick off. The show will wrap and everyone will be 20+ minutes away from the Dud
I'm really surprised they are doing this at the Commons, too. I know they are providing transportation to the Bank from there for the game, but with a small fanbase as it is, it's not terribly helpful to split them in two places that are a mile apart. We'll be criticized for having a small crowd at SEC Nation, and a small crowd for kickoff.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:23 pm While the commons/Peabody is certainly a lot prettier than the parking lots… It’s a pity this is going to take place so far away from all the tailgating. Especially considering it happens right before kick off. The show will wrap and everyone will be 20+ minutes away from the Dud
I'm not sure, but I think they do it this way on all the campuses... stage the event some ways away from the actual stadium... and they do it for a reason. They don't want the hordes of people waving flags, showing signs, and chanting a la ESPN Gameday... they're not equipped to deal with it. Though the show format is similar, it's on a much smaller scale than ESPN Gameday.

However it should be noted that the one time ESPN Gameday came to Vandy, in 2008, Corso & Co. also set up and aired from the Commons.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

BrentVU wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:28 pm
I'm not sure, but I think they do it this way on all the campuses... stage the event some ways away from the actual stadium... and they do it for a reason. They don't want the hordes of people waving flags, showing signs, and chanting a la ESPN Gameday... they're not equipped to deal with it. Though the show format is similar, it's on a much smaller scale than ESPN Gameday.

However it should be noted that the one time ESPN Gameday came to Vandy, in 2008, Corso & Co. also set up and aired from the Commons.
The one difference might be, how many of the locations from which they have aired previously had games that kicked off immediately following the show?

That being said, I'd bet ratings for SEC Nation are probably miniscule.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

I thought about this some more and due to the time of kickoff, it seems like kind of a no-win situation. My guess is the producers didn't want the show within earshot of the PA announcer at the stadium. That's a lot of pre-game background noise to have to contend with.
Locked Previous topicNext topic