VU vs NCSU #2

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: VU vs NCSU #2

Post by charlestonalum »

All season this team has not played with confidence we are accustomed to. I believe it is their youth, and there doesn't seem to be a leader we can depend on. We can beat NC State, but we must play much better than we did today and in our first game against them. I hope the COVID issue is not another distraction as it was today. (It was irresponsible for NC State not to vaccinate their team, but this is the doctor in me speaking. - their coach said he doesn't get into politics, but this is public health and should never have become political.) I feel sad for NC State and Vanderbilt. The COVID problem was totally preventable and should have been.

baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Need Kolwyck in the lineup.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

The NC State "hit parade" was a little misleading:
- 2 late-swing singles just past the 1B (including 1 by the P-turned-1B)
- A soft liner over Young and a seeing-eye single thru the 6-hole (the other 2 P/1B hits)
- A big bouncing ball to 3rd that would have been a routine play except that Gonzo was positioned in the 6-hole
- A soft single thru the 4- hole
- A perfect bunt down the 3B line vs the shift
- I don't recall the 8th hit
Bottom line, they literally didn't hit a single ball hard the entire game. None.

Meanwhile, Vaz & Noland were robbed of extra bases on spectacular catches by the RF & CF respectively, and Noland stroked 2 others to deep center that were caught (including the ugly DP), as did Bradfield. Vandy hit 2-3 other balls hard that were caught, as well as several routine outs. They only struck out 6 time in 37 batters faced. The problem was timing of hits and bringing runs home. This perception that Vanderbilt has passively made out-after-out for 4 games is incorrect. They've only struck out 35 times in 165 plate appearances in their 4 CWS games and have hit so many balls directly at fielders. This team is due for a big game where the ball falls and runners score.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Would rather get thrown out being aggressive and playing to win (Antico) then being afraid to get caught stealing. Need to play to win and make THEM beat us.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Looking at the box score now, I see that Bradfield was officially 0-5.

Do you agree with the Fielder’s Choice ruling in the sixth inning?

With runners on first and second, Enrique grounded to short. The shortstop’s only play was to second and the runner was safe. If, in the opinion of the official scorer, Bradfield could not be put out, the play should be ruled a base hit.

I guess the scorer thought the shortstop could have gotten Bradfield but went to second base thinking he could get the out there. Mental error.
Locked Previous topicNext topic