NC state covid issues

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

CommodoreNick
Petty Officer

NC state covid issues

Post by CommodoreNick »

At least 3 starters out. Including top reliever.

You heard it here first.

zhanglini
Commander

Re: NC state covid issues

Post by zhanglini »

DoreKnox beat you by 9 minutes :)
@AD
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

I actually posted way earlier about it but it didn't go through

I initially heard it was justice, highfell,and our starting second baseman. Happened to our football team last year too. Justice is a huge loss and if highfell is out this series is over. Trying to be optimistic despite it all
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

Actually meant the whole world series is probably over for us. If it is highfell as well I don't think it will affect the vandy series since he wouldn't pitch anyway
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Dreadful news. I’d much rather play NC State at their best.
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

Well if we lose it won't be used as an excuse. We are trying to use a "next man up" mentality. Sure sucks though
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Genuinely sorry for your young men. I have a lot of admiration for college athletes and the schedule they maintain between sports and school work.

Sometimes though a tough challenge like this can pump up the other guys - sort of a "win one for the Gipper" thing.
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

At this point I'm just hoping a game will be played.

Doesn't look good so far
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

Logically, the whole team would have to be considered exposed.

But the game is on an hour late.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

One of Vanderbilt's better pitchers, Ethan Smith, has been held hostage by the Covid Protocol for most of the season. By the time he was released by the University, it was tournament time and he was nowhere near ready to contribute, although he did make a brief appearance earlier. It's terrible how all this has played out. And I am NOT minimizing the Pandemic and the horrendous loss of life and suffering Covid-19 has caused the world.
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

Up to 14 players possibly including a few pitchers

Gametime in 30ish minutes.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

DS2001 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:24 pm One of Vanderbilt's better pitchers, Ethan Smith, has been held hostage by the Covid Protocol for most of the season. By the time he was released by the University, it was tournament time and he was nowhere near ready to contribute, although he did make a brief appearance earlier. It's terrible how all this has played out. And I am NOT minimizing the Pandemic and the horrendous loss of life and suffering Covid-19 has caused the world.
I think Ethan Smith's issue was when he came back, he got hurt, which kept him out even longer.
Wolfpack73
Petty Officer

Post by Wolfpack73 »

Yeah. Like y'all need another lights out pitcher lol
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

If I were commish..if Wolfpack can't play, Vandy play Texas one game to see who gets to finals to face MSU
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Wolfpack73 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:17 pm At this point I'm just hoping a game will be played.

Doesn't look good so far
Wolfpack 73, speaking for everyone on this board, we’re very sorry this played out like it did. NCSU has an excellent team and deserved a chance at the championship. We did not want to advance like this.

I stayed at the Embassy Suites with your players and fans. Nice people. Y’all deserved better than a COVID forfeit. 2020 AND 2021 suck.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Wolfpack, I wanted to make sure i wasn't being sarcastic. I really feel for those kids. With all they've had to go through in the last year +. When it finally looked like something good was going to happen, then this.

You should be very proud of the accomplishments of that team.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Were any of their players actually sick as in showing symptoms? Or did they just get a couple positive tests? I'm assuming they were doing the rapid covid tests as opposed to the PCRs. The PCRs are dialed up so sensitively that they give too many false positives. But dont think the rapids have the same issue.

I also wonder how we got to a situation where they had enough players to play on Friday afternoon but by late Friday evening it was too dangerous for them to continue on. Did a bunch of the guys who played Friday test positive after the game? If it was so dangerous they had to forfeit Saturday, did the NCAA put everyone at risk by having them play Friday?

Will be interesting when more information comes out (assuming it ever does) but this feels like it was handled very peculiarly. Will wait for the facts to come out but since the NCAA seems to mismanage so many things my first inclination is believe they botched this as well. Hard to know if the NC State coach was being 100% truthful but if he was and the NCAA was keeping him in the dark throughout the process, that seems very odd.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Feels like the NCAA is doing typical NCAA crap

In coordination with the Douglas County Health Dept? It’s ok the stadium’s full but Wolfpack can’t play? Seems legit
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

fldore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:35 am Were any of their players actually sick as in showing symptoms? Or did they just get a couple positive tests? I'm assuming they were doing the rapid covid tests as opposed to the PCRs. The PCRs are dialed up so sensitively that they give too many false positives. But dont think the rapids have the same issue.

I also wonder how we got to a situation where they had enough players to play on Friday afternoon but by late Friday evening it was too dangerous for them to continue on. Did a bunch of the guys who played Friday test positive after the game? If it was so dangerous they had to forfeit Saturday, did the NCAA put everyone at risk by having them play Friday?

Will be interesting when more information comes out (assuming it ever does) but this feels like it was handled very peculiarly. Will wait for the facts to come out but since the NCAA seems to mismanage so many things my first inclination is believe they botched this as well. Hard to know if the NC State coach was being 100% truthful but if he was and the NCAA was keeping him in the dark throughout the process, that seems very odd.
in his post-game press conference monday, elliott avent stated that there was "a bug" going around in the ncsu team and they needed some rest before playing again friday.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:47 am Feels like the NCAA is doing typical NCAA crap

In coordination with the Douglas County Health Dept? It’s ok the stadium’s full but Wolfpack can’t play? Seems legit
Yea I'm sure the city isn't too concerned about fans as long as people keep showing up to the ticket booth!
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic