NCAA Site Showing Vandy Some Love

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandyambush
Vice Admiral

NCAA Site Showing Vandy Some Love

Post by vandyambush »

Vandy and Miss. State getting the most picks to win it all.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... ncaa-title

commadore
Admiral

Re: NCAA Site Showing Vandy Some Love

Post by commadore »

I like the last guy who still picks UCLA.
Last edited by commadore on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:31 pm I like the last guy who still picks UCLA.
Those are their original picks before the tournament so we can see how accurate (inaccurate) they were. Pretty sporting of them.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:32 pm
commadore wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:31 pm I like the last guy who still picks UCLA.
Those are their original picks before the tournament so we can see how accurate (inaccurate) they were. Pretty sporting of them.
But if you look at the paragraph where all else made their final prediction, he still says UCLA.

Wayne Staats
College World Series picks: UCLA, Texas Tech, Arkansas, LSU, Vanderbilt, East Carolina, Stanford, North Carolina
College World Series champion: UCLA
Quick thoughts: UCLA-Vanderbilt is the matchup most baseball fans expect (and many want to see). Chances are, something can and will get wacky in the Regionals and Super Regionals. Vanderbilt could easily crush its way to the title, but I think UCLA wins its second national championship this year. I trust Ryan Garcia and UCLA's pitching more than anything else.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 pm
Good2BGold wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:32 pm
But if you look at the paragraph where all else made their final prediction, he still says UCLA.

Wayne Staats
College World Series picks: UCLA, Texas Tech, Arkansas, LSU, Vanderbilt, East Carolina, Stanford, North Carolina
Quick thoughts: UCLA-Vanderbilt is the matchup most baseball fans expect (and many want to see). Chances are, something can and will get wacky in the Regionals and Super Regionals. Vanderbilt could easily crush its way to the title, but I think UCLA wins its second national championship this year. I trust Ryan Garcia and UCLA's pitching more than anything else.
And just above those four picks it says this: "Here's who we had heading to Omaha for the College World Series (the original picks)." Like I said, that was the guy's original pick before the tournament began.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Whatever. Agree to disagree.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm Whatever. Agree to disagree.
What is there to disagree about other than whether or not you can read plain English? It clearly states those were their "original picks." :roll: What part of that are you unable or unwilling to understand?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:50 am
What is there to disagree about other than whether or not you can read plain English? It clearly states those were their "original picks." :roll: What part of that are you unable or unwilling to understand?
Wayne Staats

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NCAA or its member institutions.

If you go back and look, the highlighted teams are his original picks. While it doesn't copy over, he marks through the ones that have been eliminated. UCLA is then XX out. Then, it says COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION: UCLA. This says nothing about "original picks." This says CHAMPION. He then goes on to discuss the championship series and discusses UCLA and Vandy. This is his thoughts going forward. Not behind. Period. What are your reading limitations?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am
Good2BGold wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:50 am
Wayne Staats

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NCAA or its member institutions.

If you go back and look, the highlighted teams are his original picks. While it doesn't copy over, he marks through the ones that have been eliminated. UCLA is then XX out. Then, it says COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION: UCLA. This says nothing about "original picks." This says CHAMPION. He then goes on to discuss the championship series and discusses UCLA and Vandy. This is his thoughts going forward. Not behind. Period. What are your reading limitations?
My reading limitations, whatever they may or may not be, are obviously not anywhere close to your own. I say that because it clearly states at the top of that section that what follows are the prognosticators "original picks." Considered through that lens, it's understandable why the one guy's pick says he's picking UCLA because he made that pick before UCLA was eliminated. Your take on it would mean that despite UCLA being eliminated, the guy is still picking them. Now honestly, does that make any sense? No, it doesn't. I get that you wanted to make fun of the guy, but he would have to be a complete idiot to still be picking UCLA to win it all. Do you really think the guy's an idiot, especially when it plainly states they are his "original picks"? But let me make it even more clear. The original picks at the bottom were made by Andrew Cyr, Anthony Chiusano, Wayne Cavadi, and Wayne Staats. Wayne Staats is the guy you are making fun of. Only Cavadi and Chiusano made new picks which are at the beginning of the piece. Cavadi picked VU originally (at the bottom) and is still picking them (at the top), while Chiusano originally picked UCLA (like Staats) and is now picking Mississippi State. That makes it extremely clear that the picks at the top by Cavadi and Chiusano are new picks, post-super regionals and pre-CWS, while the four sets of picks at the bottom are the pre-NCAA tourney picks made by all four prognosticators. For whatever reason, Staats and Cyr were not asked to submit post-super regional and pre-CWS picks. The teams that are Xed out are the prognosticators' original picks that didn't actually make it to Omaha.
Last edited by Good2BGold on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Whatever.
Dorefrom88
Commander

Post by Dorefrom88 »

The part below for "The Original Picks" was originally published before the regionals. I remember reading it. Here is a link to the cached copy from Google.
KarenYates
Site Admin

Post by KarenYates »

Gentlemen,
When you start going at each other it locks the thread down which is unfair to other posters who wanted to participate.
Locked Previous topicNext topic