Hot Dumpster Fire

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lynchsr
Captain

Hot Dumpster Fire

Post by Lynchsr »

Vanderbilt’s offense is every bit as bad as the 2019 season. Hiring an OC who had never called plays showed tonight. A pro set with 7 step drops did no and will not work.

To the OC PLEASE PLEASE watch the film from last year and 2019 to see what does and does not work. If you look at the formations and space pre snap, I can’t figure out how someone whose job is football would call the plays called tonight. Why throw to a tight sideline (WR stepped out of bounds on 2 plays luckily they were drops or they would have been flags) when the quick slants and TE and slots were open.

Only positive may be that Seals gets benched for a few games to try to clear his head. Not sure he has ever had a worse game his entire life. Regardless of the play calling, he was off tonight

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Re: Hot Dumpster Fire

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Find ONE QB an stay with him. After a good year now Seals thinks they do not any faith in him'
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I'm with the coaching staff on that.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Seals' play

Post by alathIN »

Seals was definitely off. This is easily the worst game of his VU career - which is a heck of a statement in light of him being a true freshman starter against an all-SEC schedule last year.

Before this game I was thinking I didn't mind a little bit of QB shuffle.
The main problem with rotating QBs is what it does to the confidence and leadership of the #1 QB. And based on last year, I thought poise was Seals' strongest attribute. He believes in himself and the team believes in him, so, I figured, it won't hurt to play Wright some and he'll probably bust a big play every once in a while.

But in this game Seals looked more like a terrified freshman than he ever did last year. Yeah, Wright played last year, but there was no question Seals was #1.
I did not expect it, but it seems clear that the ongoing QB battle until game week and rotating QBs in the game was not good for Seals.

Also it's obvious why Wright was a red zone QB last year. He brings some talent and another dimension into the game, but he really does not threaten the defense with his arm past the first ten yards.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Like many of us said when Lea was selected, we should have hired an offensive minded coach. Then, Lea hired a pro receivers coach as our OC. Did anyone honestly think we'd be good on offense?

I hope we do not have to endure another seven year tenure of coaching malfeasance.
dorefaninktown
Petty Officer

Post by dorefaninktown »

1000 percent doreknox

The offensive coordinator hire was risky and seemed to follow a mistake mason made in 14. The offense philosophy should start with this

Assume the line will provide zero protection.
Assume the running back will never get past an unblocked linebacker.
Assume virtually no separation by the receivers.

Now, what offense can you run with that in mind.

Only option is a QB run pass option oriented office. Doesn't have to be gus malzahnish, but does have to have options when the first option breaks down may be 19 out of 20 times.

The offense looked both stale and confusing last night. This is not merely under talent, nor is it merely poor execution, poor game plan or any other one off explanation. This is the natural result of a brain dead approach to offense.
rumbledore
Commander

Post by rumbledore »

I was thinking the up-tempo meant they had some good faith in Seals. Then they pulled him and we seemed to get a spark with Wright until he got hurt.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

dorefaninktown wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:14 pm
Assume the line will provide zero protection.
Assume the running back will never get past an unblocked linebacker.
Assume virtually no separation by the receivers.

Now, what offense can you run with that in mind.

I thought this was especially in evidence last night. It would have been hard for ANY QB to have a good game. Disclaimer: I did not see the 4th quarter. I had given up by then. Perhaps our receivers dazzled in Q4 with their speed, deception, and precise routes ..... but I doubt it.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Just pick a QB, right or wrong. These kids do not need to being wondering ....am i playing this time or am i not?
Locked Previous topicNext topic