Backcourt

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

Backcourt

Post by jeff93 »

Manjon and Lawrence could be one of the better backcourts in the nation next year. Their skillsets are really complimentary.

Key is to get QMB and Dort skill level up to take the pressure off of them.

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Lawrence

Post by LawoftheWest »

Lawrence has made major strides in improving his game from last year and during this year.
He has been a very pleasant surprise this year. I think injuries held him back in the past.

Question: In what particular areas does Lawrence need additional improvement to be an NBA prospect?
He has decent size for a shooting guard at a listed 6' 4". He is explosive driving to the basket.
As examples, does he need: More strength? To improve three point shooting?

I look forward to seeing him and Ezra next year.
Obvious
Captain

Re: Backcourt

Post by Obvious »

Lawrence has the athleticism for the next level. If he can further improve his 3 point shooting he can be at least a second round pick. His ability to finish at the rim is second to none as far as former Vanderbilt players. He is similar to Saben Lee in my opinion. Lee might have been more athletic but Lawrence is probably more skilled. Also, Lee left after his junior year. Lawrence will have the extra year to solidify his game for the next level.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Lee was a significantly more explosive athlete and defender. Agree that Ty is a bit more skilled in most areas, though Lee might have had an edge as a facilitator. If Ty can continue to develop his 3-point shot and up his defense a bit he has a chance.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

Actually I think his biggest need is to improve his ball handling. I find that a bit odd to say since he came in as a point guard mainly. Maybe his ball handling is good enough, but its like he can do the spectacular, but struggles at times with the focus to do the basics well enough. I'm a HUGE fan of his, and I have completely changed my opinion on him as this season has gone along. Probably most of the SEC season I've at some point during almost every game that I can see him playing in the NBA someday, but I can't get a great feel for how well he will play. I'm glad he has more time at Vandy, partly because I love his game so much, but I also can see him improving lots more between now and the end of next season
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Re: Lawrence

Post by TwoSaints »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 am Question: In what particular areas does Lawrence need additional improvement to be an NBA prospect?
He has decent size for a shooting guard at a listed 6' 4". He is explosive driving to the basket.
As examples, does he need: More strength? To improve three point shooting?
He's not explosive at all by NBA standards, so relying on that is a mistake. And in the modern NBA, a slender 6'4" without super long arms is not decent sized. Remember, playing the wing in the NBA means guarding people about the size of Devin Booker, Ant Edwards, or Kevin Huerter every night and people like Kevin Durant, Jaylen Brown, Paul George, or Luka Doncic about once a week. So I would say that Jordan Wright has decent size for an NBA shooting guard, not Tyrin Lawrence. And he's not super quick, like Saben Lee, or particularly athletic by NBA standards either.

He's got some important attributes that will translate: He shoots well off the bounce, he can penetrate, he can change speeds, he's got an adequate handle (although the Pat Beverleys and Matisse Thybulles will terrorize him), he can pass alright on the move, and he's a willing defender and rebounder. But none of those stand out.

What he'll need to do is become a much better shooter (I mean, like >40% from three and showing NBA range and >80% from the line) and defender if he wants to play the wing. Or--and this is his real chance--he needs to take Ezra Manjon lessons and become a true point guard. If I were him I'd work a lot on my shooting, of course, but I'd really focus on tightening my handle with both hands, passing on the move with each hand, entry passes and lobs, running the pick & roll, moving my feet much more quickly on defense, reading the passing lanes, cutting over and under screens, and moving without the ball. Maybe watch a lot of film with Ezra and ask him what to work on. And maybe watch some film on guys who are great moving without the ball--Havlicek, Reggie Miller,... the two guys that play for U Conn...

It will be interesting to see him go up against Kobe Bufkin of Michigan. He's about the same size and has similar numbers, but is two years younger (which makes a huge difference to the NBA). He's probably going to be drafted in the last third of the first round.
Locked Previous topicNext topic