CJS on Jim Rome podcast today

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alwaysvu
Captain

Re: CJS on Jim Rome podcast today

Post by alwaysvu »

I think Jerry's stakhouse is a real good recruiter but the team lacks structure and that's his job

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

CJS needs to keep his ass off Rome or any other radio or tv show and concentrate on winning a few games. Period.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:35 pm I honestly believe in his recruiting strategy of 3-4 stars and develop them and keep them. That being said people are leaving whether by design or not it's either a talent eval problem or a retention problem the last 2 years.

I like defense and rebounding focus. What I am not liking is the lack of importance on preseason wins (pre-sec-season) and shooting/scoring the ball. 4 years in we need to want/try/achieve winning every game we can. Not hey I'm gonna tweak lineups and stuff so we are good for SEC don't care if we lose a few games. Win every game you can learn along the way but don't sacrifice losses for experience.

Scoring is an issue and when you can't shoot the ball you need more structured and motion offense to create points vs 1 on 1 execution. There's things I love about Stack and things that drive me crazy at the same time. He needs to move towards the middle on his approach. He needs to also stay off Twitter and if you want to get thrown out of the game to make a point, do it the right way.
I don't think losing by two points to an upper tier SWAC team (as opposed to bottom of their conference) when your best player is out is about a coach not trying to win. I have no opinion on the paragraph about scoring. Staying off Twitter is always a good idea for a coach other than to say pleasantries although somebody from the staff has to perform some public outreach promo.

He probably should skip reading Twitter though because social media is a distracting downer and works against having the confidence to get the job done.
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

Well, with an OOC RPI of #178 against a #110 ranked schedule, I don't really think CJS can blame the schedule for the team's overall performance. Whether you want to point to overall talent or coaching being the more likely culprit, well, that's up to you.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

The SEC starts next week and does anyone else feel that we are not prepared for what awaits for us?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VUgearhead wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:51 am Well, with an OOC RPI of #178 against a #110 ranked schedule, I don't really think CJS can blame the schedule for the team's overall performance. Whether you want to point to overall talent or coaching being the more likely culprit, well, that's up to you.
in the '60s, '70s, late '80s, '90s, and 2000s we win that game by over 20 no matter what player is out.

Just in case anyone is wondering how "good" Grambling is, since they beat us they have lost to Virginia Tech 74-48 and lost to Liberty 75-56. Nuff said.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:58 pm
memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:07 am
Jason94 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:24 am

The mistake isn't scheduling Grambling before exams - he scheduled a game prior to exam last year. The mistake is not being prepared and losing the game against a team that we should be far superior to. How many times will he make this "mistake" before learning to not do it again? The rigors of academics for Vanderbilt student athletes should no longer be a surprise to him.

I guess that most here want a coach who either 1) knows what it takes to be successful from the jump or 2) is a quick learner and doesn't make what he considers to be a mistake two seasons in a row. I assume we aren't paying CJS over 7 figures for the fun of it. He is currently utilizing a rotation that implies he expects to win this season, and therefore should be judged by how much actual winning is occurring. Beyond losing to teams we shouldn't be losing to, we aren't losing to these teams because they got on some fluky hot streak from three - which would at least be understandable. We are playing a very experienced rotation while making a lot of freshman like mistakes while our freshmen save Colin Smith sit on the bench.

If he changes approach and gives his freshmen more PT to provide valuable experience, then expectations and criteria for success will be adjusted accordingly.
The mistake was scheduling it two days after the Pitt road game so that he couldn't really have time to get them as ready for Grambling as Grambling, who had a week off, was for them. They had a day and a half before they were on the court again. Who was responsible for scheduling it in that cavalier a manner? CJS or someone outside of the school? Stackhouse mentioned after the Grambling game this between games timeframe discrepancy as compared to Grambling's much longer period rested and preparing for VU in advance of the game.
Scheduling is the responsibility of the head coach. These things happen all the time as well in conference scheduling, where a team could have to play Thu-Sat while their Sat opponent plays Tue-Sat - it is a little tougher, but not an excuse IMO. And again, we had a similar situation last season where we played Loyola Chicago on two days after they had essentially 5 or 6 days (they played a DII team three days ahead). This is also something that is typically not made long in advance - as in probably this summer. He lost those games last year as well, so one would have thought that he had learned his lesson had he thought that was a critical factor.
I was thinking he might have done the scheduling, but I did not know. It did seem like the timing of that game played a factor along with Wright's injury and any other depth problem we had that particular game. I did not say that's an excuse. It and depth that game simply seemed to factor into the loss whether that is inexcusable or not.
Locked Previous topicNext topic