Win with dignity

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Win with dignity

Post by VanDSIRROM »

The most impressive thing about the 'unprecedented, record setting win' is the humbleness and dignity of our Vandy Boys. Most Clemson players took their beating in stride; however, in the 9th inning one Clemson guy was 'smarting off' to our catcher. Scott just acted like he didn't hear him--he wasn't about to 'take the bait'.

It was note worthy, too, that Conner (3 hr & 10 RBI) was the first guy to start shaking hands with the Clemson players. Unfortunately, SECN cut off our broadcast at that point. It's encouraging to see our guys be 'level headed' about what they accomplished. After all, Clemson may be the best offensive team in the country.

A 'Tip of the Hat' to our guys for being true gentlemen.

"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Re: Win with dignity

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Agreed. I think it begins at the top, with Coach Corbin.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

After seeing the scores of most of the games, I can't help but believe the stadium contributed to the offensive output of the paper tigers over the season. Sort of like home run totals in the Colorado Rockies Coors Field.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

VanDSIRROM wrote:The most impressive thing about the 'unprecedented, record setting win' is the humbleness and dignity of our Vandy Boys. Most Clemson players took their beating in stride; however, in the 9th inning one Clemson guy was 'smarting off' to our catcher. Scott just acted like he didn't hear him--he wasn't about to 'take the bait”.
Call me curious....could you enlighten us as to what the Clemson player was saying? I watched the replay and I couldn’t read his lips from where I was sitting.
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

commadore wrote:After seeing the scores of most of the games, I can't help but believe the stadium contributed to the offensive output of the paper tigers over the season. Sort of like home run totals in the Colorado Rockies Coors Field.
The high scores have been everywhere. Out of the 92 games completed through today, 90 of them had at least five runs, and our 2-0 win over Saint John's was the lowest scoring game of the weekend.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

First of all the Clemson crowd is very hostile and obnoxious. Their players showed poor sportsmanship, one inning late one player was called out on strikes and screamed at the umpire and slung his bat showing up the ump. The next hitter was called out on a check swing,and he argued and pouted all the way to dugout. Another class act by Corbs was he didn’t wave in many runners and we didn’t score when we could have. Didn’t “rub it in”
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

It was also mentioned on the Clemson site that many on the team were out at a bar until 2 AM Saturday night doing shots. I would just bet that the Vandy Boys were all tucked in......just saying
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

VanDSIRROM wrote:The most impressive thing about the 'unprecedented, record setting win' is the humbleness and dignity of our Vandy Boys. Most Clemson players took their beating in stride; however, in the 9th inning one Clemson guy was 'smarting off' to our catcher. Scott just acted like he didn't hear him--he wasn't about to 'take the bait'.

It was note worthy, too, that Conner (3 hr & 10 RBI) was the first guy to start shaking hands with the Clemson players. Unfortunately, SECN cut off our broadcast at that point. It's encouraging to see our guys be 'level headed' about what they accomplished. After all, Clemson may be the best offensive team in the country.

A 'Tip of the Hat' to our guys for being true gentlemen.
It was Duvall
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

Give the Clemson players a break. They lost big and gave up 19 runs. Haven't you ever wanted to put your fist through a wall during one of the many 0-60 Vandy football games over the past 30 years? And we're fans who aren't even playing.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Mrcommodore wrote:Give the Clemson players a break. They lost big and gave up 19 runs. Haven't you ever wanted to put your fist through a wall during one of the many 0-60 Vandy football games over the past 30 years? And we're fans who aren't even playing.
But your true character is shown in these circumstances
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

cjdore wrote:It was also mentioned on the Clemson site that many on the team were out at a bar until 2 AM Saturday night doing shots.
Obviously don't know if that's true or not, but it could help explain why Clemson was so flat and unemotional. About the 3rd inning I commented to my wife that the whole Clemson team just seemed disinterested.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Clemson waitress and fan reported this and reported that she watered down their shots because she was afraid it would effect their play. I think though a bigger issue was we caught them in a 2nd daily game in 95 degree heat with a shallow bullpen.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Can’t recall Vandy ever getting beat 0-60 when they were ranked in the top ten.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

vujoe wrote:
Mrcommodore wrote:Give the Clemson players a break. They lost big and gave up 19 runs. Haven't you ever wanted to put your fist through a wall during one of the many 0-60 Vandy football games over the past 30 years? And we're fans who aren't even playing.
But your true character is shown in these circumstances
This.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I think Chris Burke was very complimentary of VU throughout the broadcast. He has been so much better with more experience and it appears he has learned that impartiality is a must in being announcer.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

If Clemson players knew which pitchers were going to be used

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

I'd be out, too.
Last edited by DeefromAtlanta on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

Their ranking (and past year's experience at the regionals level) only magnifies their frustration. They have every right after that kind of shellacking to vent. The true character is shown by being gracious in the face of that frustration.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

AuricGoldfinger wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
Classy tweet.
Classier player.
He's improved a lot since he's been here. Always was a great glove man, but has developed into an excellent hitter as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic