Sec tournament pitching rotation

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Sec tournament pitching rotation

Post by GooseJones15 »

First of all this way too early, but remember all series will be thurs fri sat this weekend. That means Fellows won’t be available till Thursday in tournament Raby Friday Hickman sat.. so the bottom line we are looking at probably Eder Reed s. Day or your guess. We have a dilemma. In my opinion we can’t win a tournament without king Gillis Tyler brown reed s, Day stepping up. That’s the way I see it. To win regional you got to have a quality bullpen and depth. But first things first. We must throw everything and everyone at Kentucky this weekend. Gonna be high drama and fun. Hope we step up and compete. Go get em Vandy Boys!

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: Sec tournament pitching rotation

Post by fldore »

Part of me thinks that if we win the first two against kentucky, then maybe we should save Hickman for the opening round game of SEC. But of course if we win two against kentucky, it's less likely that we'd need a strong showing in Hoover to get a national tourney seed spot. And on the flipside, if we have a poor showing against Kentucky, you'd want Hickman to start game 3 to salvage the series. But in that case, we may need a strong showing in Hoover so I'd be more inclined to save him.

Winning that first game in Hoover now has a lot more significance (especially for a team on the ncaa bubble) because it guarantees you two more games. Whereas if you lose, you are out. No double elimination in the first round anymore.

And if we were to win the first game, I'd imagine you go with Fellows on Wednesday and Raby on Thursday. They will have pitched thur/fri respectively the week before so you're still getting almost a weeks worth of rest. Although I suppose you could argue that since the wednesday game isnt an elimination game then perhaps you could go bullpen by committee. And then save Fellows for Thursday which is either an elimination game or will advance you to the semi's.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

what about Hickman's control issues Sunday? Just an aberration, I hope.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

We are going to use everyone needed to beat Kentucky this weekend, so the rotation next week may depend on who is available on Tuesday. I'm expecting our top bullpen guys to be used- Gillis, Brown, King, Schaller, and Day, and there's a decent chance we see Fisher and Eder in spots. Wouldn't surprise me to see one of these guys go a few innings Thursday behind Fellows this week and start Tuesday if the pitch count isn't too high. King seems like a good candidate to do this on 4 days rest.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

Our focus is to win the Kentucky series,whatever it takes. We aren’t concerned about the tournament at this point. In the big picture if you are in regional it really is beneficial to lose early in the tournament,and rest your pitching staff and get them set for the regional. Last year is a good example. We gonna throw everything and everybody we have this weekend ,and then worry about the tournament Sun.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Beat Kentucky and then worry about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic