Bella Says She Wants the Extra Year

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Bella Says She Wants the Extra Year

Post by MikeADore »

I stumbled upon a student-made podcast a couple weeks ago with two Vandy guys interviewing Bella LaChance. It was from May of this year. In a portion of their talk about her being a senior, she pointed out that she does have another year of eligibility and said she would like to stay at Vanderbilt and play another year. She did go on to mention that it would depend on whether coach Ralph wanted her for the extra year and whether a scholarship was available.

I have no doubt coach Ralph would want her to stay. She loves Bella. With Bella and Jordyn Oliver remaining for an extra year, we would have a roster of 13 next year as long as there are no transfers. We currently have three offers out for that class, so if all three choose Vandy, we'd have too many players. That's borrowing problems, though. It's extremely unlikely that all three of the players with offers will pick us, so I have to believe there will be a scholarship available for Bella if she and coach Ralph want it.

Everything we've read and heard about Jordyn Oliver indicates she has two years of eligibility left even though she has graduated. She has a covid year and a red-shirt year after suffering a season-ending injury at Duke. I don't know if she can take two years to get a masters or if she will go the Jordyn Cambridge route and get two masters.

It's worth noting again that next year is the final class that has the extra year of covid eligibility. After that, the only grads who will be available in the portal will be those with a normal red-shirt year from injury etc.

I like Bella. She's not the biggest or the quickest, but she knows how to play the game. She had the third most assists on the team last season and the second-lowest turnover numbers behind Demi Washington, but she played more than 200 minutes more than Demi and had the ball in her hand a lot more.

Here is the podcast link if anyone is interested. It's about 41 minutes long. Not necessarily a professional presentation, but they seem like good guys and Bella seemed to have fun. They had her back a couple weeks later for their season-ending show, and it lasted nearly two hours. They said the first episode was their best received. Also, both their mothers loved Bella. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjfFD4BOh8