Coaches being much more transparent about injuries this season

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Coaches being much more transparent about injuries this season

Post by BrentVU »

Coach Lea opened his Tuesday press conference with a list of injured Commodores and their status for Saturday. How things have changed! In recent years, coaches have gone to great lengths to conceal injuries. Remember how Coach Franklin, for instance, would answer all such questions with, "We don't discuss injuries."

I think the reason for this is... gambling. Yes, seriously. I hear there's been a push behind the scenes (probably coming from the conference office) to try to prevent unwanted gawkers and lurkers from getting too close to the players in order to find out who's injured and who's not. As an example, if I knew that A.J. Swann or C.J. Taylor was out injured for Saturday's game but the rest of the world didn't know it yet, it gives me a leg up on all the other bettors in the world. it's a foreign world to most of us, but yes, there is a market for information like this. Announcing injury statuses (without going into details about the medical details, which could raise other issues) is an effort to head off this problem to a degree.

Here's a story about Brian Kelly from earlier this summer...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ts-betting