New videoboard coming to the Gym next season

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

New videoboard coming to the Gym next season

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Re: New videoboard coming to the Gym next season

Post by DS2001 »

Spend that money for some AC!
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

DS2001 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:14 am Spend that money for some AC!
Or a decent PA / sound system.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I thought it was telling that the backup location for this year's commencement ceremony was Bridgestone Arena and not the gym. There may have been other reasons for that and maybe it was a one-time only event, but I also wonder if the Chancellor said, enough is enough, and whether we'll see upgrades to Memorial as a next phase of Vandy United.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

OldDude wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:41 pm
For sure on the A/C.
As for the sound system, that’s an interesting conundrum in that space.
I’m by no means a sound engineer, but as an avid amateur musician who has sound-treated my basement for use as a rehearsal/recording space, I know a little bit about acoustics. I think the sound system itself in Memorial is plenty robust. However, the acoustic environment is such that you have cinder block walls and crevices all over the place that garble speech intelligibility. They could feasibly sink a lot of money into acoustic treatments for the gym (and I do mean a LOT…acoustic solutions are EXPENSIVE) that would reduce reflections and make it easier to hear the PA.
However, the trade-off would be that crowd noise would be greatly reduced as well. Frankly, I’ll take a garbled PA system over losing the possibility of hearing Memorial Gym rocking with a raucous crowd again (which we saw glimmers of last season for the first time in a while)!
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:34 pm
OldDude wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:41 pm
For sure on the A/C.
I’m by no means a sound engineer, but as an avid amateur musician who has sound-treated my basement for use as a rehearsal/recording space, I know a little bit about acoustics. I think the sound system itself in Memorial is plenty robust. However, the acoustic environment is such that you have cinder block walls and crevices all over the place that garble speech intelligibility. They could feasibly sink a lot of money into acoustic treatments for the gym (and I do mean a LOT…acoustic solutions are EXPENSIVE) that would reduce reflections and make it easier to hear the PA.
However, the trade-off would be that crowd noise would be greatly reduced as well. Frankly, I’ll take a garbled PA system over losing the possibility of hearing Memorial Gym rocking with a raucous crowd again (which we saw glimmers of last season for the first time in a while)!
A sound system upgrade would be much less expensive than AC. AC would probably be in the mid-high 8 figures range.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Do they understand that 70% of the people won't be able to see that video gadget?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:34 pm...
It was built as a combination gym/performance center. You would think acoustics would have been near a top priority.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:50 pm It was built as a combination gym/performance center. You would think acoustics would have been near a top priority.
May have been initially, but that was before Clyde built the balconies!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Haptown wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:27 amMay have been initially, but that was before Clyde built the balconies!
I always thought it was designed to accommodate additional levels. Were changes in acoustics considered? I don't know.
Locked Previous topicNext topic