CWS Strike Zone

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

CWS Strike Zone

Post by Levon »

I've watched all 4 CWS games so far. The strike zone is certainly larger--especially wider but also higher--than the regular season and even thru the Supers (I watched a lot of those games too), but inconsistently so. Even my neophyte-baseball-fan girlfriend has commented on it. The umpire in the LSU-UT game loves him some big, high curve ball strike calls. He looks straight out of 2019. He's got a Greg Maddox type strike zone. Skenes, who is dealing tonight, got a called strike 3 on a pitch high & outside. Several hitters have reacted with genuine surprise at strike calls. Even Peterson & Burks have commented on the unusually wide strike zone.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: CWS Strike Zone

Post by Levon »

If LSU goes on to win this game, Vols fans will, with some justification, claim they got jobbed by the home plate ump and his "generous" strike zone. The strike 3 call to end the 3-run UT 8th was egregiously bad.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

LSU holds on beats Tenn 6-3. Let the wailing begin.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Levon wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:09 pm I've watched all 4 CWS games so far. The strike zone is certainly larger--especially wider but also higher--than the regular season and even thru the Supers (I watched a lot of those games too), but inconsistently so. Even my neophyte-baseball-fan girlfriend has commented on it. The umpire in the LSU-UT game loves him some big, high curve ball strike calls. He looks straight out of 2019. He's got a Greg Maddox type strike zone. Skenes, who is dealing tonight, got a called strike 3 on a pitch high & outside. Several hitters have reacted with genuine surprise at strike calls. Even Peterson & Burks have commented on the unusually wide strike zone.
If umpire crews are kept together in the postseason that was an SEC crew. Jeff Head was 3rd base umpire and crew chief.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

DivergentDore wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:39 pm
Levon wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:09 pm I've watched all 4 CWS games so far. The strike zone is certainly larger--especially wider but also higher--than the regular season and even thru the Supers (I watched a lot of those games too), but inconsistently so. Even my neophyte-baseball-fan girlfriend has commented on it. The umpire in the LSU-UT game loves him some big, high curve ball strike calls. He looks straight out of 2019. He's got a Greg Maddox type strike zone. Skenes, who is dealing tonight, got a called strike 3 on a pitch high & outside. Several hitters have reacted with genuine surprise at strike calls. Even Peterson & Burks have commented on the unusually wide strike zone.
If umpire crews are kept together in the postseason that was an SEC crew. Jeff Head was 3rd base umpire and crew chief.
Makes sense, but I didn't recognize the home plate umpire from any SEC games I saw this year.
Locked Previous topicNext topic