CBS Sports: Vandy included among the losers in the transfer market

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

CBS Sports: Vandy included among the losers in the transfer market

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

A bit premature IMO and it remains to be seen if the newcomers are better than the losses (individually or in the aggregate), but not exactly the kind of publicity you want.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -struggle/

jeff93
Lieutenant

Re: CBS Sports: Vandy included among the losers in the transfer market

Post by jeff93 »

It would be really good to know what happened. I am a Stack supporter but something doesn't add up. You finish the season one of the hottest teams in the country, you are returning an all senior starting 5 (Manjon, Laurence (senior in years on campus), Wright, Stute, and QMB) which would be one of the most experienced starting 5s in VU history, and you effectively lose the whole team.

I understand there are individual circumstances, but it appears there is something more to it. It could anything like:

1. VU is not a fun school anymore
2. Coach is bad at relationships
3. Being on the team is not fun
4. Everyone is cashing in on some level of NIL (even $5k/year changes a kid's lifestyle significantly while in college), and VU is probably behind the curve organizationally from an NIL perspective.

In any event, this team should have been building on momentum and experience - now both momentum and experience are negatives.

What happened?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

jeff93 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:55 am It would be really good to know what happened. I am a Stack supporter but something doesn't add up. You finish the season one of the hottest teams in the country, you are returning an all senior starting 5 (Manjon, Laurence (senior in years on campus), Wright, Stute, and QMB) which would be one of the most experienced starting 5s in VU history, and you effectively lose the whole team.

I understand there are individual circumstances, but it appears there is something more to it. It could anything like:

1. VU is not a fun school anymore
2. Coach is bad at relationships
3. Being on the team is not fun
4. Everyone is cashing in on some level of NIL (even $5k/year changes a kid's lifestyle significantly while in college), and VU is probably behind the curve organizationally from an NIL perspective.

In any event, this team should have been building on momentum and experience - now both momentum and experience are negatives.

What happened?
Exactly
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

CBS sports is a big loser in my book!! Basketball season is not until fall.
Locked Previous topicNext topic