Just thinking ahead

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyJim
Chief

Just thinking ahead

Post by VandyJim »

Like Mike and others I continue to check the internet to find any information I can about transfers and our incoming recruits. And honestly, with Pissott and Oliver transferring through the portal, I'm even more excited than I was several weeks ago when thinking about our 5 incoming recruits. I'm imagining Pissott and Oliver starting, with Sasha Washington and our two guards returning from injuries. That's an experienced 5 with the ability to play inside and outside. Quick on defense too. We will have a decent bench as well and I imagine 2 of the freshmen will play significant minutes: Greene and Makurat. But I think Gilmore, Mitchell, and Pierre may need time to develop to face post play in the SEC and my fear is that given the nature of transience in women's basketball, we may lose them in a year. I hope not. But the portal both giveth and taketh away.

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Re: Just thinking ahead

Post by bornadore57 »

Do we have any more scholarships available for next year?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

bornadore57 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:20 pm Do we have any more scholarships available for next year?
Two, but I would be surprised if they use them. It's awfully tough to keep 15 players happy in this day and age. We have 13 now. Of course, if someone special comes along, I'm sure they'd jump at it. But, I suspect we're done for this year and are concentrating on lining up some players for the '24 class. We're just about six months away from early signing period in November.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

Now - just go ahead & nail the signing of Jaloni Cambridge!!
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Anyone have any insight or scoop on our chances of getting Jaloni Cambridge?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyJim wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:59 am Anyone have any insight or scoop on our chances of getting Jaloni Cambridge?
I have no inside knowledge. I can only say I have never seen nor heard her mention Vanderbilt and have never seen her sporting any Vandy gear. I think we can safely assume that, considering their relationship with Jordyn and the family, the staff knows exactly where it stands with Jaloni. She is deeply immersed in the instagram culture, but in recent months I can find no real indication of where she is leaning. She has played it close to the vest. There have been instances where she posted photos from South Carolina, LSU and Baylor.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

We have to get her, she is from our city and the best player in the country. Every effort must be made to sign her, if we do get her we can compete for for a national championship. She is that good.
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Becoming (once again) a strong team in a strong SEC is one thing, competing for a national title is quite another. I just wonder though if it matters to sisters to play together in college or if each sister needs her separate space. If it is the latter, then she will end up elsewhere.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

VandyJim wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:07 am Becoming (once again) a strong team in a strong SEC is one thing, competing for a national title is quite another. I just wonder though if it matters to sisters to play together in college or if each sister needs her separate space. If it is the latter, then she will end up elsewhere.
Unfortunately, the sisters won’t be playing together, but I can see Jordan being a student assistant. For VU to get a local player, there has to be a strong desire to become sort of a “hometown hero”. Although we were able to acquire Garland (with a strong relationship with Drew) and Jenkins (joining to vastly talented team with high expectations), we haven’t had much luck with the females. The UConns, USC and formerly, ut, and now LSU, appear to have a stronger drawing power in the women’s game. I also wonder if the Cambridge family has some hard feelings toward VU over the brother’s situation with us a few years ago. I don’t believe we will get Jaloni, but, if we have an outstanding year, we may have a shot….let’s hope!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

The last few years of Balcomb- who i personally liked- and then White have put this program so far in arrears. Much like the Vandy United $300 mil and growing! might get us out of the basement of the SEC, but not by far. I suspect by the time it is all over, Malcolm Turner's $800 mil may not be far off the mark. His unforgivable sin was that he lavishly refurbished his own office before anything else.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

VandyJim wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:07 am Becoming (once again) a strong team in a strong SEC is one thing, competing for a national title is quite another. I just wonder though if it matters to sisters to play together in college or if each sister needs her separate space. If it is the latter, then she will end up elsewhere.
I have seen where Reece at LSU is pulling in right at 300K from her NIL Deals. That’s why LSU is getting these transfers. They purchased a championship. Cambridge will be paid handsomely, so we have NO shot at her. It’s probably a waste of time to recruit her. I am sure her family will steer her to the dough.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Doubledore wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:01 pm
I have seen where Reece at LSU is pulling in right at 300K from her NIL Deals. That’s why LSU is getting these transfers. They purchased a championship. Cambridge will be paid handsomely, so we have NO shot at her. It’s probably a waste of time to recruit her. I am sure her family will steer her to the dough.
I think Reese blew past $300K already. Take a look at this list of NIL valuations released by On3. It's based on the number of social media followers. Gymnasts are also raking in the money:

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/womens-nil-100/
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Interesting—makes the chance for Cambridge even slimmer.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Doubledore wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:33 am Interesting—makes the chance for Cambridge even slimmer.
Is she also a gymnast?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MikeADore wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:16 pm
Doubledore wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:01 pm
I think Reese blew past $300K already. Take a look at this list of NIL valuations released by On3. It's based on the number of social media followers. Gymnasts are also raking in the money:

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/womens-nil-100/
Thanks for the link Mike ! I am old enough to remember when NBA players didn't make the money LSU is shelling out (I know I'm not adjusting for inflation). The whole thing just makes me totally sick of this NIL system, but it may be VU has to jump in. Goodbye cruel world t9714 !
DoreFan49
Chief

Post by DoreFan49 »

I do not believe that we can give up hope for signing Jaloni. I have had conversations with the parents of many highly recruited women college basketball players in the past and I do not believe it comes down to money with the majority of them.

Here is my list of the most important criteria these parents used in helping their daughter thru the decision making process.

1) The happiness of their daughter.
2) The quality of the academics at the university of choice.
3) The potential of their daughter to have sufficient playing time.
4) The academic ability of their daughter to succeed at the university of choice.
5) The quality of the coaching their daughter will receive to prepare her for the next level and the rest of her life.
6) The emphasis placed on defense by the coaching staff.
7) A coaching staff that emphasizes playing as a team.
8) A coaching staff that motivates their players by building relationships between the staff and the players and among the players.
9) A coaching staff that promotes a family atmosphere and where their daughter will feel at home.
10) The potential of a program to be competitive in their league and contend for championships or make great progress toward those goals.

I have read many articles about Jaloni's recruitment and all of those articles confirm to me that she is willing and able to sign with a school that offers her the opportunity to succeed as a player. There is no mention of a desire for the kind of instant wealth that NIL may bring.

In addition to this, I have confidence that CSR will not even consider a player who only has concern about getting the best monetary deal.

Jaloni has many excellent choices and Vanderbilt is one of the best IMHO.
Locked Previous topicNext topic