Radford vs John Marshall Virgina 2a State championship

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Radford vs John Marshall Virgina 2a State championship

Post by Vandysmith »

Radford coach was very unhappy with game and things needed to be chance in his words. I heard another coach talk about if all the players grew up in the John Marshall area and John Marshall should be in another classifieds. If I understand it right, they think it not fair to play them in the state playoff? It was on YouTube and I didn't understand everything clearly.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Radford vs John Marshall Virgina 2a State championship

Post by mathguy »

You made me look it up.

Looks like a combination of sour grapes and legit complaint.

If this Marhsall team is considered among the best teams in the country (which they apparently are) ... what the heck are they doing playing in a AA playoff instead of a 4A or 5A (if Virginia has one)?

It is also fair to criticize the way that AAU stuff here is clearly altering the landscap of HS ball. It sounds like the Marshall coach is a big AAU coach and that his AAU team is more or less the HS team ... which has to start making you wonder how many kids found a way to get and address in the district even if they aren't really living or from there.

And if you have a address change than everything is legal ... but everyone knows about the schools that find apartments to give 3 month or 6 month leases during sports season and everyone hates it.

So ... kind of sounds like the Radford coach is whining about the things no one likes ... but that no one can change.

Or that's what I got as an outsider reading 2 articles online, clearly making me an expert.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

You needed to look it up to get your own perspective about this. Maybe their school size, I'm not really sure if that the case but you would think so.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

It fun to look things up!!!
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Vandysmith wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 am You needed to look it up to get your own perspective about this. Maybe their school size, I'm not really sure if that the case but you would think so.
I know that often schools are split in those divisions because of school size, but (at least in Kentucky ... I assume elsewhere) schools are allowed to "play up" and join higher divisions if they think their program supports it. I know there is at least one football school in Kentucky that is 3A by size but plays 5A because they can compete for state titles in 5A, but playing 3A they just beat people 88-0 and probably risking injuring their opponents.

I suspect the Radford coach here is complaining something like that ... that if Marshall is going to be this good, they need to play in a tougher division rather than beat up on small schools.
Locked Previous topicNext topic