Legitimate concerns

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Legitimate concerns

Post by Go Vandy! »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:20 pm I just don't want any coach to be "irked" that we left him off of our list!

Those were good times....
I'm guessing the Willis Wilson comment will outlive both him and me (I'm 68) in Vandy lore.

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

alathIN wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:53 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:39 pm
Starkiller wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 am Not a lot of good coaches are going to see Vanderbilt as a long term job. It’s a stepping stone to something better. Fans just need to come to terms with this.

Baseball is an exception, but Vandy just isn’t a school that will ever be a national title contender.

I certainly would hate to lose Stack, but I don’t begrudge him. I fully expected him to be on the look out for a better job after the way this season ended and boosting his resume after plenty of rough seasons here.
Name ONE basketball coach that we had that was in it foe the short time.
Skinner was there for 15 seasons.
Dobbs was there for three until we fired him.
He whose name I won't say was there two LONg years before we ran him off.
CM Newton was there for 8 years before going home to bbe an AD.
Fogler was there for 4 years and left because they wouldn't pay him anywhere near what he was worth.
VBK wanted to retire here but was fired after 6 years.
Stallings was here for 17 years.
The Clapper was here three horrible years before being fired.
Now Stack.
History does not bear out your claim.
We haven't had a coach successful enough to get hired away since Fogler.
I think the idea of the OP is that we should hope for a coaching tenure successful to the degree that blue blood programs want to hire him.
That's not true CKS's name came up several times and I remember him turning down at least one opportunity.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:21 pm
baseball1234 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:25 am If he's in the running for an NBA job that he would accept, what could he possibly say publicly? He is a credible guy. He can't say that he's not interested because if he jumps ship, then he will have mislead recruits and the fan base. If he says that he is interested, he would be hurting his chances with recruits. He can't win by making any statement. I agree with others who said that his silence cannot be helpful but his hands are tied, We can only hope that the Pistons decide on a coach sooner rather than later.
Exactly….by saying nothIng, we are in limbo! The only thing he could say publicly is that he is not interested and if he isn’t, he needs to say so, promptly! Otherwise, we are a program with a coach with one foot out the door.
My guess is that the silence would mean he is interested. I'm a homer, don't get me wrong, but he should be interested in this job. He has to take a look.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

dore74 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:40 pm To state the obvious, this sucks. Suspect that the kids that left VU for the portal didn't do so for this reason. Conversely, kids looking at VU for a transfer site may shy away due exactly to that reason.

If he stays do his bona fides as a potential NBA coach help or hurt us. Will recruits look at him as someone who can leave at any time or as someone who an help them get into the pros--and who is a really good college coach.

I'm not sure what the right thing for him to here is. From Vandy's perspective a quick decision one way or another is obviously best. As some have noted NBA coaching searches can string along for a while. If indeed the chatter continues someone needs to say something. We could find ourselves with a rush to the door from our non-portal players (I'm not sure what the incoming class can/would do) and needing to build a coaching staff, suspect he'd take some with him. Not great prospects.

Well, all there is for us to do is wait, and like me, needlessly speculate.
Given the year-to-year nature of half your roster, I don't think it hurts us. Everyone goes into this thinking that if it doesn't work out, you're only a transfer away from being where you want to be.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

commadore wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:17 am
I think the idea of the OP is that we should hope for a coaching tenure successful to the degree that blue blood programs want to hire him.
That's not true CKS's name came up several times and I remember him turning down at least one opportunity.
Who offered CKS that he turned down?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Is this what happened re: CKS? (this is a question, not a statement)

After the 2011-12 season, South Carolina showed interest but CKS stayed in exchange for an assurance that his next team here was allowed to suck without repercussions.

Asking for a friend.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I don't remember who other it was in the late 2000s. Sue me, I am old. I just remember talking about the possibility of following the Ingram jet again.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

commadore wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:21 pm I don't remember who other it was in the late 2000s. Sue me, I am old. I just remember talking about the possibility of following the Ingram jet again.
Now those are ALWAYS good times!

Speaking of which, does ADCSL have access to use it? Or was it only a David Williams thing?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:46 pm
commadore wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:21 pm I don't remember who other it was in the late 2000s. Sue me, I am old. I just remember talking about the possibility of following the Ingram jet again.
Now those are ALWAYS good times!

Speaking of which, does ADCSL have access to use it? Or was it only a David Williams thing?
There was always a rumor about Purdue. I don’t know if Purdue ever actually offered but many believed Stallings would have taken that job.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

I think Iowa State wanted to talk to him at one point.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

GoVU wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:33 pm I think Iowa State wanted to talk to him at one point.
That's the one I was thinking about.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

I think, with all of this, you have to consider the source. 247 doesn't have much of a journalistic track record when it comes to this sort of thing. They do have a long record of reporting rumours about recruiting, many of which are on target. But many of them are also off target.

Has any news source with a strong track record of reporting agreed with this? I don't think so. A few sources with good track records with the NBA (notably The Athletic) have reported that the Pistons are interested in him. That doesn't mean they've contacted him or offered him--and since they only just bumped Casey upstairs I imagine they're still not sure whom to go after in any case. I seriously doubt that any NBA team will make any offers until Nick Nurse's situation in Toronto is resolved. He and Golden State assistant Kenny Atkinson will almost certainly be the top two candidates for any position. Detroit is also reportedly interested in Ime Udoka, despite the extraordinary scandal that cost him his job in Boston last fall. I imagine they'd have to think really hard about whether to offer him a job or not. All three of those guys are far better candidates than Stack. (Although, of course, if Nurse did leave Toronto for Detroit or Houston, that wouldn't necessarily help us because Stack started his coaching career in their system.)

Obviously, Stack has strong ties to Detroit and connections in the organisation. As a popular former player, he'd be a popular choice. And I think it would be naïve to assume that he wouldn't listen if they offered him. But that doesn't mean he'd leave Vanderbilt for the Pistons.

So maybe we should all just cool down a bit. The sky ain't falling yet. We still have some very good players on our roster for next year (especially if, as I suspect, the NBA tells Tyrin that he's not draft-ready yet), some good young players coming in (and another good recruit, Jason Rivera-Torres, for whom we're a finalist), and hundreds and hundreds of good players in the transfer portal. Let's see what happens!
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

One more thing: Houston also has a coaching opening and they've already contacted NBA teams to get permission to interview their assistants (including Golden State's Kenny Atkinson and Phoenix's Kevin Young). But Stack is not among their reported targets. If you're interested in following a couple of NBA reporters who have a very strong record on front office matters such as coaching hires, here are two good ones:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania
https://twitter.com/wojespn
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I just find it odd that QMB leaves right after saying he was coming back, J Wright leaving still does not make sense to me. I could be wrong, but I think Stack is probably leaving. I am not really upset by that. I think he is a good coach, but we still have not been to the tourney under his leadership. Not saying we did not do some good things this year, we most certainly did. It does feel like he has always had his eye on the NBA. Maybe I am wrong, maybe he comes back next year and proves me wrong. However, this is the feeling I get from him.

As far as Vandy being a steppingstone, I am glad Corbin did not feel this way. Or LSU would probably have 2-4 more titles in the last 10 years. If Stack leaves, we have to find someone who believes in Vandy and can recruit, coach and utilize the portal. Or at least find staff members who can do these things. We need someone with the salesmanship of James Franklin, a recruiter like Nate Oaks (Alabama coach) who can get kids excited about coming to Vandy, and then have the loyalty of Tim Corbin. That is a tall order, but filling a tall order is what is necessary if we want to go to a Final Four. I for one believe Vandy can do it, without belief what is the point of watching, and supporting our team. It is the hope and belief that keeps us coming back year after year.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Fwiw, we have a couple players on official visits this week. I hope we get them signed before they leave.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Um … Kevin Stallings WAS hired away from Vanderbilt. Saved us from having to fire him. I wonder if Pitt paid VU a buyout.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:55 pm
Um … Kevin Stallings WAS hired away from Vanderbilt. Saved us from having to fire him. I wonder if Pitt paid VU a buyout.
No, I think VU payed Pitt a dowry...
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Bigger problem to me is the overall focus away from any real team loyalty among players. The NCAA has chosen money over everything
else. As have coaches and players. College sports have finally acquiesced-officially. And the rich will get richer-the rest will decline and eventually fold their programs.

At least we don't have to read about cash in McDonalds bags any more. Sure are strange and sad times, in so many ways.
indysog03
Ensign

Post by indysog03 »

jpmando wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:26 am Bigger problem to me is the overall focus away from any real team loyalty among players.
While I think the transfer portal needs some sort of refining, I will say that enforcing loyalty for players while letting coaches jump from school to school like mercenaries at wartime was a bigger problem and worse look.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

jpmando wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:26 am Bigger problem to me is the overall focus away from any real team loyalty among players. The NCAA has chosen money over everything
else. As have coaches and players. College sports have finally acquiesced-officially. And the rich will get richer-the rest will decline and eventually fold their programs.

At least we don't have to read about cash in McDonalds bags any more. Sure are strange and sad times, in so many ways.
The NCAA didn’t “choose” this, at all…..it was forced onto them by the courts! I don’t believe this will be good for the NCAA, financially, because it will turn off many of the borderline fans who may lose interest. I also believe the NCAA will never be hurting, money wise, because the tv contracts will never dry-up.
Locked Previous topicNext topic