One of my few gripes of baseball....

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

One of my few gripes of baseball....

Post by commadore »

Cunningham comes into the game with a solid lead and runners on base. He lets those score, plus 3 more to tie the game. We come back to win and HE gets the win. Just doesn't seem just to me. I know there is no one else in this case to give the win to, but I don't like it.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: One of my few gripes of baseball....

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:09 am Cunningham comes into the game with a solid lead and runners on base. He lets those score, plus 3 more to tie the game. We come back to win and HE gets the win. Just doesn't seem just to me. I know there is no one else in this case to give the win to, but I don't like it.
100% agree. Many baseball scoring rules need updating, this is certainly one of them, particularly as starting pitchers go fewer and fewer innings. Within reason, the Official Scorer should be able to award the "Win" to whichever pitcher was most effective or critical to the victory.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

You should see me when I try to explain this to my wife.

It may be the worst statistic in sports.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I could not watch or listen, what was the problem for Cunningham yesterday or was it fielding - did anything standout as contributing to the bad inning?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:03 pm I could not watch or listen, what was the problem for Cunningham yesterday or was it fielding - did anything standout as contributing to the bad inning?
No, he just got rocked. Very similar to last week, but Corbs and Brownie left him in the game and he settled down after that.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:03 pm I could not watch or listen, what was the problem for Cunningham yesterday or was it fielding - did anything standout as contributing to the bad inning?
Cunningham to p for Owen. Wagner,
Co. pinch hit for LaPlante. Wagner, Co. walked (3-2). Be. Anderson
singled to right field, RBI (2-2); Wagner, Co. advanced to second;
Murillo advanced to third; Gonzalez, F. scored. Connor Tate homered
to right field, 4 RBI (2-2); Be. Anderson scored; Wagner, Co.
scored; Murillo scored. Condon walked (3-2). Harber struck out
swinging (1-2). Collins flied out to cf (1-2). 6 runs, 4 hits, 0
errors, 1 LOB
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Cunningham to p for Owen. Runners on 2nd and 3rd 1
Wagner, Co. pinch hit for LaPlante. 1
BB Wagner, Co. walked (3-2). BB Wagner, Co. Cunningham 1
1B
Be. Anderson singled to right field, RBI (2-2); Wagner, Co. advanced to second; Murillo advanced to third; Gonzalez, F. scored. 1B 9 1RBI Be. Anderson Cunningham 1
HR Connor Tate homered to right field, 4 RBI (2-2); Be. Anderson scored; Wagner, Co. scored; Murillo scored. HR 9 4RBI Connor Tate Cunningham 1
BB Condon walked (3-2). BB Condon Cunningham 1
K Harber struck out swinging (1-2). K Harber Cunningham 1
Collins flied out to cf (1-2).

Little more explanation from a different box score.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Wins are essentially a meaningless stat except for starters. There are a number of different examples where a reliever gets a win (whether he blew a lead or just pitched a scoreless frame in a random inning in the middle of a game) where he ends up getting a win. Some are preposterous such as your example and others could have been given to anyone. maybe they just should be team wins unless it's given to the starter.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Versus75
Admiral

Or the wind could have been only 5 mph ...

Post by Versus75 »

... and Schreck catches the ball. Cunningham is a hero.

Owen still is not going to get the win since he didn't go five innings. At least Cunningham pitched several innings.

What would you have done if Cunningham gave up the slam, finished the inning, and was replaced by another pitcher who completed the game? Official scorer probably would have given the W to pitcher number 3 ... or he could give Cunningham the W and pitcher number 3 a Save. Then they both get credit even though Cunningham wasn't so good.

Had Georgia gone up 9-8 in the sixth inning and not lost the lead, Marsh would get a Win after allowing 3 runs in 2.0 innings. Stuff like this is going to happen in a high scoring game.
commadore
Admiral

Re: Or the wind could have been only 5 mph ...

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 pm ... and Schreck catches the ball. Cunningham is a hero.

Owen still is not going to get the win since he didn't go five innings. At least Cunningham pitched several innings.

What would you have done if Cunningham gave up the slam, finished the inning, and was replaced by another pitcher who completed the game? Official scorer probably would have given the W to pitcher number 3 ... or he could give Cunningham the W and pitcher number 3 a Save. Then they both get credit even though Cunningham wasn't so good.

Had Georgia gone up 9-8 in the sixth inning and not lost the lead, Marsh would get a Win after allowing 3 runs in 2.0 innings. Stuff like this is going to happen in a high scoring game.
It is just a gripe. I offer no solutions; I'm not that smart. It is like my wife, who likes baseball. She thinks the rule you have to catch a ball in some form to have an out is ridiculous. Specifiically, when a catcher drops a third strike he has to throw to first. She says "well why don't they have to do it with a runner on first?" I said that was just the rule and most likely was a safety exception. She also doesn't like the rule that if a ball is foul, but then rolls fair before getting to the base it is a fair ball. I pointed out that if it is fair and rolls foul it is foul, but she doesn't buy it. Oh well. To use the line I hate: It is what it is.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Sounds like your wife is more of a fan than mine. She asked why they don’t have a second base coach.
Versus75
Admiral

Dropped third strike rule is there …

Post by Versus75 »

… because if Catcher has to make throw as he would on a ground ball, he could throw to second and start a double play.

Similar logic as Infield Fly Rule.
commadore
Admiral

Re: Dropped third strike rule is there …

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:05 am … because if Catcher has to make throw as he would on a ground ball, he could throw to second and start a double play.

Similar logic as Infield Fly Rule.
Thank you. Have followed baseball over 60 years and have never heard that. Makes perfect sense.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

3rdFloorDyer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:58 am Sounds like your wife is more of a fan than mine. She asked why they don’t have a second base coach.
Curious as to your reply. I'll wait...lol
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:56 am
3rdFloorDyer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:58 am Sounds like your wife is more of a fan than mine. She asked why they don’t have a second base coach.
Curious as to your reply. I'll wait...lol
My wife likes to go to games, not watch them on tv or the internet. As for a second base coach, there have been games where I wished we could have had one.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

commadore wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:09 am Cunningham comes into the game with a solid lead and runners on base. He lets those score, plus 3 more to tie the game. We come back to win and HE gets the win. Just doesn't seem just to me. I know there is no one else in this case to give the win to, but I don't like it.
Well he blew that Save and got the win!
Locked Previous topicNext topic