Ron Slay

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Ron Slay

Post by Dorewithaflare »

This guy is funny.He has by-passed all these other guy in the games as they try to be funny. He is very kind with Vandy. I think headed for the big times.

indysog03
Ensign

Re: Ron Slay

Post by indysog03 »

I have loathed Ron Slay ever since his team on the early 00's ut teams with Tony Harris (who I already hated from his time at East HS beating my HS at sub-state). He was a loudmouth, he was arrogant without being able to back it up on the court, he played dirty, and some of my favorite moments from my time at VU were seeing him lose (including an especially great game where Tony Harris had more fouls than points).

All that to say that I am **extremely** reluctant to admit this; he was pretty great at color commentary. It'll be interesting to see how well he does with more experience.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Ron slay was one of my favorites during the SEC tournament. He brought the same energy to commentating during our last game and stayed focused on what was happening. I prefer to have the sec network commentators over the main espn people. The big name commentators always get off on a tangent about teams that aren’t even playing.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Slay was player of the year in the SEC. He could flap off at the mouth, but he outworked everyone to make himself a better player.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Just watched the NIT broadcast of our win and he was very good. Hope he and Vanderbilt go to Vegas.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I was prepared to continue to dislike Slay when I first heard him on the radio. He's funny, informed and always entertaining. I am very happy for his success.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

indysog03 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:15 am I have loathed Ron Slay ever since his team on the early 00's ut teams with Tony Harris (who I already hated from his time at East HS beating my HS at sub-state). He was a loudmouth, he was arrogant without being able to back it up on the court, he played dirty, and some of my favorite moments from my time at VU were seeing him lose (including an especially great game where Tony Harris had more fouls than points).

All that to say that I am **extremely** reluctant to admit this; he was pretty great at color commentary. It'll be interesting to see how well he does with more experience.
My thoughts exactly. He was one of the players I despised the most, but in his broadcasts, he has a very infectious enthusiasm. I was just like you, catching myself wondering how I could possibly like listening to him.
indysog03
Ensign

Post by indysog03 »

VUaskew wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:42 am Slay was player of the year in the SEC. He could flap off at the mouth, but he outworked everyone to make himself a better player.
That's an incredibly fair point. My focus on not backing things up was mostly around his first couple of seasons, but you're correct in that he had improved as a senior.
Locked Previous topicNext topic