Am I the only one who thought it was strange...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Am I the only one who thought it was strange...

Post by historybill »

.... that Vanderbilt didn't have a color guard holding the American flag at the game the other night?

The band played the national anthem, but everyone in the student section was sort of looking around confused, because the flag that hangs from the rafters is straight up, and can't be seen from that angle.

I don't think I've ever been to a high school, college or pro sporting event where there wasn't a color guard.

In any case, I called the athletic department and suggested that my Boy Scout Troop do the color guard on Saturday.

They told me that NCAA rules prohibit it, since they aren't college students.

That didn't make any sense, since my daughter sang the national anthem at a Vanderbilt basketball game a few years ago, but oh well.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Am I the only one who thought it was strange...

Post by mathguy »

historybill wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:15 pm
I don't think I've ever been to a high school, college or pro sporting event where there wasn't a color guard.
I've been to many events where there is flag hanging and fans are directed toward it, and the anthem is played over the speakers but there is no color guard.
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

I agree totally. What is even worse, in my opinion, is to use a digital flag. Maybe that's an NCAA rule that can be questioned for change in regard to only using college students. Isn't there an ROTC at Vandy?
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

What is even worse IN MY OPINION.....Is that 75% of people and players in attendance cannot even seem to put their right hand over their heart when the anthem is played. We seem to have forgot the most basic of things in this country!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I blame Zeppos and Sarah Fuller.**

**In case any VS members are lurking.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

dotcommie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:04 am I agree totally. What is even worse, in my opinion, is to use a digital flag. Maybe that's an NCAA rule that can be questioned for change in regard to only using college students. Isn't there an ROTC at Vandy?
Yes, but the Navy and Army ROTC units are on Spring Break.

That's why I suggested the scouts, but they told me that is no longer legal because it is a violation of recruiting rules.

I'm scratching my head about that one.

A bunch of skinny 13 and 14 year olds in Boy Scout uniforms obviously aren't bring recruited, right?
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

cjdore wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:27 am What is even worse IN MY OPINION.....Is that 75% of people and players in attendance cannot even seem to put their right hand over their heart when the anthem is played. We seem to have forgot the most basic of things in this country!
When did putting the hand over the heart become a thing? That was for the Pledge, yes. But doing it for the Anthem seems to be relatively new.

I was trained in the military to stand at attention during the Anthem, so that's what I do
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Neither team was out of the locker room for the anthem.
Locked Previous topicNext topic