Pop..

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lynchsr
Captain

Pop..

Post by Lynchsr »

Bubble bursted!!! This sucks

bernstml19
Lieutenant

Re: Pop..

Post by bernstml19 »

We out
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Inexcusable.

I don't know every team's resume across the country, but there are 3 teams in our conference that we are objectively better than. We have comparable records, head to head wins, better conference records, and better & more quality wins.

Completely inexcusable.
BEATUT
Commander

Post by BEATUT »

They need to check the analytics on that formula. Doesn't seem to be working when 2 SEC teams with losing records get in over the 4th place team which including the tournament had the 3rd most wins. Travesty!
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Two years in a row the non conference part of the schedule sealed our fate… Stack has to fix this problem this coming season. There will be no excuses.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I can't help but think if we had won just two of the six games we lost in pre-SEC play we'd be in. You can't dig yourself a deep hole like that to start the year. Slow starts are unacceptable. You start the year with 12 victories over cupcakes and motor into the SEC schedule with a full head of steam.
Last edited by Doreknox on Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

DS2001 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:45 pm Two years in a row the non conference part of the schedule sealed our fate… Stack has to fix this problem this coming season. There will be no excuses.
I feel sorry for teams we play in the nonconference next year. Stack will be looking to light them up. He won’t like that he has to change the way he coaches because of idiots on a selection committee.
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

So seems to me this sets a precedent to just schedule 12 sisters of the blind and blow them all out to start the season.

Why would anyone want to play good teams or ones on par with us if it’s only going to hurt in the long run when you can have guaranteed wins.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

GoheenFan88 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:12 pm So seems to me this sets a precedent to just schedule 12 sisters of the blind and blow them all out to start the season.

Why would anyone want to play good teams or ones on par with us if it’s only going to hurt in the long run when you can have guaranteed wins.
It has definitely changed. You used to want to schedule a tough non conference to build your resume. Now you need to blow out the quad 4 and finish above .400 in conference play
VirginiaDore
Ensign

Post by VirginiaDore »

Amen. Would be otherwise if the conference schedule weren’t so challenging, but of course it is and always will be.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

GoheenFan88 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:12 pm So seems to me this sets a precedent to just schedule 12 sisters of the blind and blow them all out to start the season.

That is BS. It isn't like we lost 6 games to a bunch of top 10 teams and that our schedule was completely loaded. We lost games to two bad teams on our home court, and then played poorly against two more bad teams in Wofford and Alabama A&M. We had tough games against (seed in parenthasis) Memphis (8), NCSU (11), Pitt (11), St. Marys (5) and VCU (12), only one of which was on the road. A team that is a tournament team should have won at least two or three of those games, as while those are good or decent teams, none of them are world beaters, and I don't think it is a stretch to say that were we to play those games again in March we would have won 3 of them.
VirginiaDore
Ensign

Post by VirginiaDore »

Obviously once you schedule winnable games, you need to win them.
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:29 pm

That is BS. It isn't like we lost 6 games to a bunch of top 10 teams and that our schedule was completely loaded. We lost games to two bad teams on our home court, and then played poorly against two more bad teams in Wofford and Alabama A&M. We had tough games against (seed in parenthasis) Memphis (8), NCSU (11), Pitt (11), St. Marys (5) and VCU (12), only one of which was on the road. A team that is a tournament team should have won at least two or three of those games, as while those are good or decent teams, none of them are world beaters, and I don't think it is a stretch to say that were we to play those games again in March we would have won 3 of them.
In previous years this is a NCAA team hands down regardless those early season losses. My point is if they are going to put so much on early season now then where is the incentive to schedule anyone decent at all?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

GoheenFan88 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:38 pm

In previous years this is a NCAA team hands down regardless those early season losses. My point is if they are going to put so much on early season now then where is the incentive to schedule anyone decent at all?
I get your point, but it is a poor one, as we lost to two bad teams, in Southern Miss and Grambling state, and if you play bad teams you need to go undefeated.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:41 pm

I get your point, but it is a poor one, as we lost to two bad teams, in Southern Miss and Grambling state, and if you play bad teams you need to go undefeated.
I don’t like it at all but Jason is saying exactly what the committee is saying. Many things in life I think are stupid and whatever else but there is a clear path to the NCAA and we lost a couple bad games. That negates the wins against pretty good teams. The head to head doesn’t really matter. It’s something I don’t like at all but it is what it is.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Texas A&M has TWO Quad 4 losses to VU’s one. Why is the difference in their NET 62 spots??? I understand that their overall resume/body of work is superior to VU’s. But the system as a whole has to take head-to-head results into account in some way shape or form. And how can you make a legitimate claim that a P5 team that plays great against a bunch of cupcakes in November/December but then can’t even break .500 in their conference has a better chance of advancing in the NCAAT than a team that finished 3-4 games ahead of multiple other teams in their conference that received bids and also advanced to their conference semis? That team is more worthy of a tournament spot. How can anyone argue differently? I’m not asking for an explanation of the process. I fully understand it. My argument is that the process for selecting teams is clearly flawed. Dickie V agrees.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35845806
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I recall one year not too long ago Alabama won 22 games with a good SEC record and were promptly rewarded with an NIT bid because they played TOO many cupcakes.
There’s a balance as to how to schedule non conference games.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

DS2001 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:02 pm I recall one year not too long ago Alabama won 22 games with a good SEC record and were promptly rewarded with an NIT bid because they played TOO many cupcakes.
Apparently not any more. VU had the #19 SOS, won 13 SEC games all told to reach 20 wins on the season, suffered 11 of their 14 overall losses to Quad 1 teams, and yet were overlooked in favor of one team that won 10 SEC games and two that won 9. VU also beat all three of this teams.
What is the reasonable argument that VU doesn’t belong in the field over those teams?
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

DS2001 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:02 pm I recall one year not too long ago Alabama won 22 games with a good SEC record and were promptly rewarded with an NIT bid because they played TOO many cupcakes.
isn't that the remedy? play a balanced pre-conference schedule, ready to win from day 1 and to minimize squeakers, hence preparing for the conference grind.....and never ever lose by 57 points if possible, even to the number one team in the nation on their home court.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:41 pm

I get your point too and Vandy likely should have defeated them both but if you look a little deeper Southern Miss won the Sun Belt regular season title and will be in the NIT as a result and Grambling St. tied Alcorn State for the SWAC title. They may be tier 99 losses but it doesn't tell the whole story.

So next season it should be all home games with something like this:
LIU
Green Bay
Hartford
IUPUI
Division 3 team
Trevecca
Whites Creek
Boys Club

Go something like 15-0 and win 5 or 6 games in conference including the tournament - automatic 9 seed.
Locked Previous topicNext topic