Starting to get Interesting

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

Starting to get Interesting

Post by jeff93 »

The team is 2-2, with the only losses being on the road to ranked teams.

Conference almost seems wide open. Not saying they are contenders or close, but I don't think .500 is out of the question.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Starting to get Interesting

Post by mathguy »

Does start to make you wonder if another NIT run is possible.

The non-conference went so poorly I don't even see how we could climb into the fringe bubble of the NCAAs...
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

mathguy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:35 pm Does start to make you wonder if another NIT run is possible.

The non-conference went so poorly I don't even see how we could climb into the fringe bubble of the NCAAs...
They do tend to look at end-of-season play to some extent. But yes, it would take a monumental conference season to claw back onto the bubble.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:42 pm
mathguy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:35 pm Does start to make you wonder if another NIT run is possible.

They do tend to look at end-of-season play to some extent. But yes, it would take a monumental conference season to claw back onto the bubble.
I thought they had specifically removed the "last 10 games" as a criteria for the selection committee to consider. I mean, I know there is always a recency bias, but I thought they specifically tried to avoid that these days.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Exciting win. Let’s not get carried away lol
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

mathguy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:44 pm

I thought they had specifically removed the "last 10 games" as a criteria for the selection committee to consider. I mean, I know there is always a recency bias, but I thought they specifically tried to avoid that these days.
Perhaps so. I may have missed that.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

mathguy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:44 pm

That is my recollection as well, which is why the early season losses are frustrating - The committee is looking at the overall body of work. At this moment we at least have a tier 1 win to counter balance the quad 4 loss we have against Grambling St. and hope that Southern Miss can stay in the top 75 to keep that loss as a quad 2 loss as opposed to a quad 3 loss.

I don't know that it would require a monumental conference season - in terms of overall wins - 10 wins gets us there IMO, especially if we win at least one in the SECT. Let's say we have to and do get wins against USC, Ole Miss and MSU - that gets us to 5 wins. We would then have to get 5 additional wins from the remainder of our schedule. The following games would give us Quad one opportunities (as of yesterday - these rankings are fluid and will change)- UT, Bama, and Auburn at home; UK, Bama, Florida aTm on the road. That is 7 of the remaining 11 games - that would imply that we would need to win at least one more quad 1 game to get the 5 additional wins - that is assuming we win at UGA, UF at home, at LSU, and UK at home. It would also seem that UK is a team that could play their way back to a quad 1 win given their win at UT today, which would mean getting to 10 wins would give us two more quad 1 wins. A bunch of the other 6 wins would be quad 2 wins as well.

This is the flip side of our schedule - if we can grab wins, we can make the tournament.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

One at a time: Bama is very good and our next game. See Bama thread.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

This was such a pipe dream in January
Locked Previous topicNext topic