Let the fun begin...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Let the fun begin...

Post by MrMemorial »

I thought the portal wasn't officially open until the 13th but...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2023/D1

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Let the fun begin...

Post by MrMemorial »

BJ Mack at 6-8/250 already has rumors started on this next (3rd) school.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:26 pm I thought the portal wasn't officially open until the 13th but...

Six Ga State players in portal ? Must be a wonderful place.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Our second interested transfer. Post player from Dartmouth.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I'm sorry. I'm having a difficult time understanding this "new world order." So, it is okay to reach out to players on other teams, even though they are not yet able to enter the transfer portal?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I believe Dylan Disu knew he was going to Texas but he ever entered the portal.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:39 pm

Contact list is pretty strong.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

OldDude wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:50 pm
Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:39 pm

Contact list is pretty strong.
As are his numbers.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

bornadore57 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:44 pm I'm sorry. I'm having a difficult time understanding this "new world order." So, it is okay to reach out to players on other teams, even though they are not yet able to enter the transfer portal?
I think teams have to be in the know these days. If the kids can change schools every year without sitting out then the school shouldn’t be at a disadvantage. Meaning, an 18 year old will change his mind on a whim and probably blindside some coaches in the process. It is only fair that college teams are prepared for the exodus of players and have an idea of how to fill in the void in time for next fall (only a 6-7 month break).
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Sooooo…who’s leaving??? Can’t think of any of the younger guys I want to see move on.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:22 pm Sooooo…who’s leaving??? Can’t think of any of the younger guys I want to see move on.
Hopefully none. And the players in contact are just in a wait and see period. I like the potential of the freshmen. After all, they were a top 25 signing class.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:35 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:22 pm Sooooo…who’s leaving??? Can’t think of any of the younger guys I want to see move on.
Hopefully none. And the players in contact are just in a wait and see period. I like the potential of the freshmen. After all, they were a top 25 signing class.
Don't we need at least one player to leave "early" to have enough space from a scholarship standpoint? I know we have three in the incoming class, so we could have 5 at most. There are 5 freshmen (Dia, Dort, Shelby, Lewis, Smith), no sophomores, three juniors (Lawrence, Thomas and Stute) and then you have Wright, QMB, Manjon as seniors who have a covid year left. That is a total of 14 players, one above the limit. So unless I'm missing something, at least one current player would have to leave or we have oversigned our freshman class.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:00 pm
Don't we need at least one player to leave "early" to have enough space from a scholarship standpoint? I know we have three in the incoming class, so we could have 5 at most. There are 5 freshmen (Dia, Dort, Shelby, Lewis, Smith), no sophomores, three juniors (Lawrence, Thomas and Stute) and then you have Wright, QMB, Manjon as seniors who have a covid year left. That is a total of 14 players, one above the limit. So unless I'm missing something, at least one current player would have to leave or we have oversigned our freshman class.
Yes that’s correct someone has to leave unless Qmb can find another way to pay for school
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:03 pm

Yes that’s correct someone has to leave unless Qmb can find another way to pay for school
Could NIL money be used ? I mean nothing seems against rules anymore.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:03 pm

Did someone say he'd be starting his PhD work? If he'd be on a grad student stipend...
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Chris Ledlum, a grad transfer from Harvard, has also heard from Vandy:

[tweet][/tweet]
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:26 pm I thought the portal wasn't officially open until the 13th but...

Grad transfers can enter the portal anytime.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:58 pm Chris Ledlum, a grad transfer from Harvard, has also heard from Vandy:

[tweet][/tweet]
We recruited him out of high school.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Another Ivy League grad transfer...Paxson Wojcik of Brown. His father played at Navy with David Robinson and has been a coach and assistant coach at a number of different campuses.

[tweet][/tweet]
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Great to see interest in high-level players. But it does seem to indicate anticipation of more openings than we know of. In addition to Robbins and Ansong, I think most of us anticipate Wright moving on. That makes room for the 2023 signees.

Who else leaves? There’s been speculation about Noah Shelby based on PT. But many have noted that he and Lee Dort were a package. If Shelby does leave, I sure hope Dort doesn’t follow. I know transfers seem inevitable. But honestly, this is the first time in years I’ve hoped to maintain the roster as is.
Locked Previous topicNext topic