The last time Vandy beat KY up there but lost at home

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

A32Win
Ensign

The last time Vandy beat KY up there but lost at home

Post by A32Win »

... was 1963. JFK was still the President and he had just outlasted Nikita Khrushchev in a nuclear staring contest known as the Cuban Missile Crisis.

As far as I can tell the Roy Skinner coached 62/63 Commodore team is the only other team to have accomplished this feat until tonight.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
Last edited by A32Win on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Re: The last time Vandy beat KY up there but lost at home . . .

Post by Troubadore »

1. Going in, I was certain the refs would absolutely not allow us to win up there, and they did their best - UK had 35 free throws to our 13. Awesome work, team and Stack! Especially with Liam out early.
2. Can we have a do-over against LSU? 18-12 / 11-6 would have been a much more attractive line for bubble consideration
3. Word on Liam? Whatever lies ahead we need him. MVP.
4. I recall debate on this board about whether we'd win 10 games this season. Yes, this team has really come around. Keep it rolling toward whatever tourney we earn...
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I don't think young people appreciate how rare wins over Kentucky in Lexington are. I've been watching Vanderbilt basketball since the 1967-68 season, and I've only seen four of them. (1973 and 1974, 2007, and last night.)

Yes boys and girls, Vandy once went 32 straight years without winning there, from Roy Skinner through Kevin Stallings, until Shan Foster and Derrick Byars broke the string in 2007.

Wednesday's win improves Vandy's all-time record in Rupp Arena to 2-46, if I count right. (The 1973-74 wins came in UK's old coliseum.)

To do it as they did last night, and to do it on UK's Senior Night, is absolutely monumental.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Incredible photo
Last edited by Obvious on Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
jeff93
Lieutenant

Post by jeff93 »

2. Can we have a do-over against LSU? 18-12 / 11-6 would have been a much more attractive line for bubble consideration

I rationalize it this way: Would you rather lose to LSU and beat UK at Rupp, or win at LSU and lose to UK at Rupp - I'll take the former.
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

BrentVU wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 am I don't think young people appreciate how rare wins over Kentucky in Lexington are. I've been watching Vanderbilt basketball since the 1967-68 season, and I've only seen four of them. (1973 and 1974, 2007, and last night.)

Yes boys and girls, Vandy once went 32 straight years without winning there, from Roy Skinner through Kevin Stallings, until Shan Foster and Derrick Byars broke the string in 2007.

Wednesday's win improves Vandy's all-time record in Rupp Arena to 2-46, if I count right. (The 1973-74 wins came in UK's old coliseum.)

To do it as they did last night, and to do it on UK's Senior Night, is absolutely monumental.

I thought we beat them up there in 06 and 07 ?
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

We did beat KY in Lexington in both of those years. We won 4 in a row against them in 2006 and 2007.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

Wins at KY have always been a rare and wondrous event for the Dores over the years.

I was there in January of 1973 the night that Freshman Joe Ford calmly stepped to the line and sank both ends of a one and one with about three or four seconds remaining to beat the Cats 76-75 and put an end to a multi-year losing streak! Thanks Joe.

Less than two weeks later we went up to Lexington for a rematch and beat them again 83-76!

Now for the rest of the story as told to me by Bill Ligon:

Just a couple of days before the second game it seems that Bill had committed a very minor infraction of some sort or another. So Coach Skinner, who was not normally a strict disciplinarian by any means, decided that he ought to make an example out of Bill and therefore he would not allow Ligon to play in this game.

Apparently, according to Bill, the rest of the team was so irate at Coach Skinner for benching him over some trivial thing that they literally vented their frustrations at the poor Kitty Cats and gave em a nice little spanking on their home court.
historybill
Admiral

Re: The last time Vandy beat KY up there but lost at home

Post by historybill »

Vanderbilt beat Florida in football and won a basketball game in Lexington.

There have been many years where one of those would have seemed inconceivable... but both?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

GoheenFan88 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:06 pm
BrentVU wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 am I don't think young people appreciate how rare wins over Kentucky in Lexington are. I've been watching Vanderbilt basketball since the 1967-68 season, and I've only seen four of them. (1973 and 1974, 2007, and last night.)

I thought we beat them up there in 06 and 07 ?

Edit - I see Harpo posted the exact same thing before I did.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

A32Win wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:45 pm … story as told to me by Bill Ligon:

Just a couple of days before the second game it seems that Bill had committed a very minor infraction of some sort or another. So Coach Skinner, who was not normally a strict disciplinarian by any means, decided that he ought to make an example out of Bill and therefore he would not allow Ligon to play in this game.

Apparently, according to Bill, the rest of the team was so irate at Coach Skinner for benching him over some trivial thing that they literally vented their frustrations at the poor Kitty Cats and gave em a nice little spanking on their home court.
Can’t believe that was 50 years ago, so I’m likely misremembering.

Seems that among the freshman class F-Troop, Joe Ford had already been starting as Tom Arnholt graduated in 1972.

And I believe the suspension or whatever it was called included Ligon AND fellow junior Lee Fowler (later N.C. State A.D. c. 2000-2010).

Freshmen Jeff Fosnes and Butch Feher got the start and for at least most of the championship season of ‘73-‘74 Ligon and Fowler came off the bench.

Jan van Breda Kolff and Terry Compton were the other starters. Center Bob Chess, Ligon and Fowler were the primary reserves. Chess played big against Leon Douglas in the ‘74 game at Alabama.
Locked Previous topicNext topic