SECT Seeding?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

SECT Seeding?

Post by mtnvandy »

What place will likley be seeded for SECT?

Who are we most likely to play Thurs? Fri?

#BeatMSU

Obvious
Captain

Re: SECT Seeding?

Post by Obvious »

Most likey we are a 5th or 6th seed and we would get one of the teams that played Wednesday night so it would be a big advantage. We would play LSU, UGA, SC, or Ole Miss.

If everything goes our way and we win Saturday and Tennessee and mizzou lose I believe we would get the 4th seed and wouldn’t play untold Friday.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:55 am Most likey we are a 5th or 6th seed and we would get one of the teams that played Wednesday night so it would be a big advantage. We would play LSU, UGA, SC, or Ole Miss.

If everything goes our way and we win Saturday and Tennessee and mizzou lose I believe we would get the 4th seed and wouldn’t play untold Friday.
VU wins and uut loses? OK, I vote for that scenario.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vandy will be no better than a 5 seed and no worse than a 6 seed:

[tweet][/tweet]
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

But we CAN tie for 3rd place in the conference.

Tennessee (@Auburn) and Kentucky (@Arkansas) could lose tough games. Missouri (home versus Ole Miss) is a favorite to win.

A Vanderbilt win over Mississippi State, which is fighting to stay off the NCAA Bubble, could result in a 4-way tie for third place.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:44 am Vandy will be no better than a 5 seed and no worse than a 6 seed:

[tweet][/tweet]
Thank you for the correction. 5 or 6 seed is still advantageous.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

I’d rather play Tennessee than Kentucky so whatever seed that needs to be lol.
sykology
Seaman

Post by sykology »

I do not believe that the analysis that we can at best get the 5th seed is correct. Theoretically, if UK, UT, and Mizzou lose and we win, we'd be the third seed based on the 3+ team tie rules here: https://www.secsports.com/article/11098 ... iebreakers.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

sykology wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 am I do not believe that the analysis that we can at best get the 5th seed is correct. Theoretically, if UK, UT, and Mizzou lose and we win, we'd be the third seed based on the 3+ team tie rules here: https://www.secsports.com/article/11098 ... iebreakers.
You're right--there is a chance of a 4 seed. This guy puts it at a 2.6% chance of happening:

[tweet][/tweet]

sykology
Seaman

Post by sykology »

Right, it's not going to happen, but it's a little fun to know that it could.
alabamacommodore
Ensign

Post by alabamacommodore »

It actually helps us to be the #5 or #6 seed as we should get a winnable game to add to our win total. If we win against Mississippi State and win 2 games in the tourney, I would have to think we would be in the NCAA tournament.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Everything I see says miss state is still in the ncaa. Surely beating them gets us on the bubble.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

sykology wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 am I do not believe that the analysis that we can at best get the 5th seed is correct. Theoretically, if UK, UT, and Mizzou lose and we win, we'd be the third seed based on the 3+ team tie rules here: https://www.secsports.com/article/11098 ... iebreakers.
If we are tied with UK and UT, UK would get the #3 seed due to the head to head record (UK - 3-1, VU - 2-2, UT, 1-3). For the #4 seed, they would go to the two team tie-breaker, and UT would get it because they beat Alabama.
sykology
Seaman

Post by sykology »

katmai wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:18 am
If we are tied with UK and UT, UK would get the #3 seed due to the head to head record (UK - 3-1, VU - 2-2, UT, 1-3). For the #4 seed, they would go to the two team tie-breaker, and UT would get it because they beat Alabama.
That is not correct, per the link. The three team tiebreaker procedure will have Vandy at the 4 seed. However, it's not going to happen, and I agree with those that are hoping for the 6 seed to avoid Bama until the final should it get to that point.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I would rather have another shot at LSU than any of the other potential opponents we might play first game.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

The 6-seed looks likely. If so Vandy would face the winner of the LSU/GA game.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

sykology wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:05 am
That is not correct, per the link. The three team tiebreaker procedure will have Vandy at the 4 seed. However, it's not going to happen, and I agree with those that are hoping for the 6 seed to avoid Bama until the final should it get to that point.
So the vols lost and mizzou is currently tied with ole miss with a few minutes left to play…
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:23 pm
sykology wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:05 am

So the vols lost and mizzou is currently tied with ole miss with a few minutes left to play…
So did we need Kentucky to lose as well?
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

If Mo. wins they get the 4th
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

vutrain wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:36 pm If Mo. wins they get the 4th
And they did
Locked Previous topicNext topic