Big trouble for Alabama's Brandon Miller from January incident

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Big trouble for Alabama's Brandon Miller from January incident

Post by Charlie Nickens »

Supposedly provided Darius Miles with the weapon used to kill a single mom on the strip at Aalbama.

Jpdated info: https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/darius- ... ce=twitter This must have legs the way al.com /Birmingham News protects Univ of Alabama athletics.

Obvious
Captain

Re: Big trouble for Alabama's Brandon Miller from January incident

Post by Obvious »

Wow. And this happened over a month ago? How does something like this not get brought up? I’d say more than Miller is looking at big trouble.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Bringing a murder weapon to the alleged murderer puts you in some sort of culpability, doesn't it?

Coach, hate to tell you this, but he sure as h*ll did something wrong. Nice PR move by Oats saying they "cried and prayed" over it. No, you were just happy to have Miller playing all season.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

It’s the year 2023, you are going to get caught.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VUaskew wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:24 pm Coach, hate to tell you this, but he sure as h*ll did something wrong. Nice PR move by Oats saying they "cried and prayed" over it.
Maybe "cried" that he might lose his stud player before the big dance and "prayed" he wouldn't.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Well. Sure glad that Nashville product “got away” from VU. Even if he “can’t be charged” with anything according to the article, the fact that he brought a gun to the scene is damning enough. Doesn’t matter that it wasn’t his gun.
And of course he’s not going to be charged with anything. Star player for the local big state university. Future NBA’er. Of course, he would almost certainly be charged with something under different circumstances. Pretty ridiculous.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Local Montgomery news just did an interview with a cop in Tuscaloosa. He said there was no law under which they could charge Miller. I am an attorney and think if I was a DA I could find something to charge him with.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I know it is not analogous at all, but remember when our freshman pitcher, Donny Everett, drowned right before the NCAA tournament: our team was so devastated including the coach that we promptly dropped the two games and were out of the tournament. So I felt sorry for the Alabama basketball team having to come to Nashville after one of their players was involved in the shooting death, but they played the game and beat us like nothing had happened. I thought at the time, things are very different for these 2 teams. I don't know what it means, but the response to tragedy was so different. I get it that it is different losing your teammate vs one being involved in another death, but... Now to learn that their star Miller provided the gun - just so tragic and unfortunate.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

If Oats had any sense of ethics, not unlike, oh, VUFB and the Chris Boyd situation, he'd be bounced from the university if nothing else.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

On Paul Finebaum show long time faculty member quoted handbook to say that university has a bias to protect athletes and Miller should be suspended or expelled but will not be. Faculty are upset
NateSY
Captain

Post by NateSY »

commadore wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm Local Montgomery news just did an interview with a cop in Tuscaloosa. He said there was no law under which they could charge Miller. I am an attorney and think if I was a DA I could find something to charge him with.
I’m definitely not an attorney, but I feel like any rational person who had a friend they knew was out drinking, ask them to bring them a gun, would know that the intent was to use that gun. Which I presume would be enough grounds to charge him as an accessory wouldn’t it?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

NateSY wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm Local Montgomery news just did an interview with a cop in Tuscaloosa. He said there was no law under which they could charge Miller. I am an attorney and think if I was a DA I could find something to charge him with.
I’m definitely not an attorney, but I feel like any rational person who had a friend they knew was out drinking, ask them to bring them a gun, would know that the intent was to use that gun. Which I presume would be enough grounds to charge him as an accessory wouldn’t it?
You would think, but maybe the law in Tuscaloosa is different for athletes (kind of like in Knoxville).
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Overlooking all legal ramifications, it comes down to a matter of ethics and doing the right thing, which would be to kick his dumb rear-end off the team and out of school.

Coach Lea kicked our highest rated recruit and another off the team for something that we never knew anything about, yet here's this case blowing up in the national media, and the Coach knew of Miller's involvement, and yet here he is, playing ball and taunting crowds like he doesn't have a care in the world.

I am sure I am wro9ng, but something tells me that public opinion will sway over to the victim's side and Mr. Miller's playing days at UA will be over. Not that he cares, really...
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I imagine they’ll kick him out of school…after basketball season. :roll:
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Opposing teams need to insist that Bama players, locker room and bench area be searched before games. :roll:

Sorry, but any rational person knows that nothing good was going to happen with that gun.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Did he have a license to carry/transport that gun? If he hadn't brought that gun would the young lady still be alive? Seems like he would be an accessory to the crime...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I’m trying not to see this through a basketball perspective. Clearly, Alabama has chosen to go for it all. Nashman asked the most important question, would the woman still be alive? The facts are that a woman is dead and the weapon used was delivered to the scene. It was a premeditated murder. If anyone ever asked me to bring them a gun, I would decline. The kid had no business bringing another kid a gun. Nothing good was going to come from that situation. And there’s always a strong possibility that someone would be shot and/or killed. I don’t know how it will all play out but there’s a woman dead and the kid who brought the gun is still playing and never missed a minute.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:38 pm Did he have a license to carry/transport that gun? If he hadn't brought that gun would the young lady still be alive? Seems like he would be an accessory to the crime...
But-but-but...2nd Amendment...Alabama and all...gun rights...
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Miller won't be charged and won't miss a minute of playing time.

And from Obvious' post above:

but there’s a woman dead and the kid who brought the gun is still playing and never missed a minute.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

The District Attorney for Tuscaloosa County is an elected position. He knows that if he seeks an indictment of Miller his chances of re-election are diminished. Just saying. I have no idea about the integrity of the DA.

As to the University of Alabama, they want to win, at football, or any other sport. Big donors expect it. Again, just saying. Oats looked like a fool with his comments. Will the athletic director, or the school's administration do anything, such as kicking Miller out of school. Time will tell. But, as suggested above, action may take place after the basketball season is over.

Call me cynical. But the actions regarding Miller have been disappointing as of now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic