SEC standings / SECT pairings

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

SEC standings / SECT pairings

Post by Versus75 »

Too many tiebreakers in play right now to say, “If the SEC Tournament was to be played today,” ... but I can speculate.

01. (12-0) Alabama
02. (10-2) Texas A&M
03. ( 8-4) Tennessee
04T ( 7-5) Missouri / Auburn / Kentucky
07T ( 6-6) Vanderbilt / Arkansas / Florida
10T ( 5-7) Georgia / Mississippi State
12T (2-10) Ole Miss / South Carolina
14. (1-11) LSU

Vanderbilt will likely still be in that 4-11 logjam at the end of the regular season. It’s imperative to stay out of a play-in game (seeds 11-14).

A #10 seed would play #7 then potentially #2 / #3 / #1.
The 8/9 seeds play each other then the winner gets #1.
#7 plays #10 then (see above).

I like the #6 seed pairings: #11 / #3 / #2 / #1
... or let's go on a roll and get to #3.

Not saying the ‘Dores could not beat Alabama, but I would rather go through a few others first.

edited for formatting
Last edited by Versus75 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: SEC standings / SECT pairings

Post by charlestonalum »

one at a time as the old cliche goes.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:15 am one at a time as the old cliche goes.
I think this stuff is fun - none of us are playing the game so we can speculate or look ahead all we want with zero impact on what happens on the court. I think if we can manage to grab 5 or 6 wins we for sure will be matched up with a team that we are fighting to make the tournament against. We are at the end of a group that includes Ark, UK, MSU, UF, Mizzou and Auburn who all have imperfect resumes but reasonable shots to make the tournament if they keep winning. AU and UT are in and this feels like a 5 or 6 bid league and aTm is close. We do play 4 of those teams down the stretch. Wins against them not only help our case but damage theirs which can make a big difference.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

Has anyone received anything from Vanderbilt about buying SEC Tournament tickets ? I am a season ticket holder so should get an offer to buy some soon I hope.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:02 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:15 am one at a time as the old cliche goes.
I think this stuff is fun - none of us are playing the game so we can speculate or look ahead all we want with zero impact on what happens on the court. I think if we can manage to grab 5 or 6 wins we for sure will be matched up with a team that we are fighting to make the tournament against. We are at the end of a group that includes Ark, UK, MSU, UF, Mizzou and Auburn who all have imperfect resumes but reasonable shots to make the tournament if they keep winning. AU and UT are in and this feels like a 5 or 6 bid league and aTm is close. We do play 4 of those teams down the stretch. Wins against them not only help our case but damage theirs which can make a big difference.
Win 5/6 and defeat either Auburn or Kentucky and we will have a decent tournament case. It will also require winning at least 2 games in the SEC tournament.
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years, some years multiple sports, and have never received an offer for tournament tickets.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

I always get offers by email and I have had season tickets in Section D for 27 years. Not sure how they determine who gets the seats in the VU section.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

My comment was we better be focused on winning at SC or we can forget our chances. I trust the ciachescand players are scheming for SC who won at Oxford Saturday.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:02 pm
My comment was we better be focused on winning at SC or we can forget our chances. I trust the ciachescand players are scheming for SC who won at Oxford Saturday.
It’s good to have the possible scenarios in mind so we know what we are playing for. Yet, temper expectations and all that. The talk of tournament possibilities should get the fan base excited to support the team. Still some major wins out there for us to go get.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

I understood your comment, but it is for the wrong audience. Our speculation here has zero impact on how the team performs. I trust CJS and staff are getting the team focused on the USC game, leaving us free to discuss whatever.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:41 pm

I understood your comment, but it is for the wrong audience. Our speculation here has zero impact on how the team performs. I trust CJS and staff are getting the team focused on the USC game, leaving us free to discuss whatever.
Unless the players are reading their press clippings.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

GoVU wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:07 pm Has anyone received anything from Vanderbilt about buying SEC Tournament tickets ? I am a season ticket holder so should get an offer to buy some soon I hope.
I believe you are out of luck, but please phone or e-mail the Vanderbilt Ticket Office to confirm. I received an e-mail from the VU Ticket Office on Jan. 17 and another on Jan. 24 saying that the deadline for requesting tickets for the SEC Men's Tournament would be Jan. 27.

Check your InBox and Spam Folders for those dates or late January in general. Good luck! Maybe they have had some requests by folks who have changed their minds.

VU Tickets
615.322.4653 (ext.1) or ticket.office@vanderbilt.edu
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

Thanks. Never saw it.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:45 pm
Jason94 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:41 pm

Unless the players are reading their press clippings.
Or more precisely, unless the players are reading this board and ignoring what their coaches are telling them. Which seems quite unlikely. We don't control what the players read nor what the press writes. we only control what we say here, and I would guess most players hadn't heard of Vandymania nor care about what is said here. I would consider it a major issue if players are taking cues from a somewhat obscure message board.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Another reason for my post was it would be more valuable to me for someone like Jason who knows more than I do to write about SC and what it will take for our team to beat them. I know the coaches are telling the team that, but not being on the team myself, it would be a good use of the board to have material like that posted instead of all the what ifs etc. What are the strengths and weaknesses of our next opponent and what do we need to do to win. That is my point.
Locked Previous topicNext topic