Sports illustrated on the AR antics

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Sports illustrated on the AR antics

Post by doubledore9603 »

dunc77
Ensign

Re: Sports illustrated on the AR antics

Post by dunc77 »

"Because of the unfortunate design of Vanderbilt's court, he had the worst possible vantage point."

In reality, with the expansion of the coach's box, the coach's view is exactly the same as it is for every normal configuration.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

It is good to see that at least a few Arkansas fans recognize how disgraceful their team's behavior yesterday was.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Thank you Punk #0 for helping fully ignite the fire in this Vanderbilt team. Sixty-three 2nd half points?! It was clear a few games ago that we fans need to stop expecting our team to lose, and Punk #0 may finally have gotten our team chemistry and fight on track. Expect to win.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Absolute must read ! Thanks doubledore.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Great reporting.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

It should be noted that the article is from an Arkansas beat writer, not some neutral observer. Makes it all the more telling.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

The Black kid is an immature punk. Doug Shows had to have seen what went down. I still can't believe the instigator wasn't charged.

The postgame interviews demonstrated the belief the players have in their coach. They see him day in and day out. I wish more fans took their lead instead of making assumptions based on short-tempered frustrations and preconceived notions.

I like that they've taken on his personality and pluck. Here's to better shooting percentages for the remainder of the year!
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

That is a really interesting story. I didn't realize Davis was about to do something horrible to Manjon? The referee yanked them apart immediately. I'll go look at that part again sometime.

Manjon probably should've been moving Black firmly to the right or left or backward away from QMB, if he was going to touch him at all but better to ask a ref to do it. But what he did was push him forward which caused him to fall over QMB's legs.

It's never a good idea to touch another player even if he's standing over your own player. It's better to get the ref to do it immediately. And if you're going to do what he wanted to do, he should've just pulled him away from QMB rather than push him down over QMB. Given the way that our coaches were treated by Black for trying to move Black away, it would probably have turned into a fight if Ezra had attempted to move him out of the way.

The crybaby taunt was well reported. And it's true that the Arkansas fans didn't like the taunting. I saw that myself online.

Do they really call technicals for standing over somebody like he mentioned should have been done? I thought that the TV announcer said that you see that a lot even though it is what instigated the problem. If they do normally call a technical for that then that one should've been called when they looked at the replay.

It might be something that people get away with a lot with no call because nobody's touching anybody or speaking.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:17 pm That is a really interesting story. I didn't realize Davis was about to do something horrible to Manjon? The referee yanked them apart immediately. I'll go look at that part again sometime.

Manjon probably should've been moving Black firmly to the right or left or backward away from QMB, if he was going to touch him at all but better to ask a ref to do it. But what he did was push him forward which caused him to fall over QMB's legs.

It's never a good idea to touch another player even if he's standing over your own player. It's better to get the ref to do it immediately. And if you're going to do what he wanted to do, he should've just pulled him away from QMB rather than push him down over QMB. Given the way that our coaches were treated by Black for trying to move Black away, it would probably have turned into a fight if Ezra had attempted to move him out of the way.

The crybaby taunt was well reported. And it's true that the Arkansas fans didn't like the taunting. I saw that myself online.

Do they really call technicals for standing over somebody like he mentioned should have been done? I thought that the TV announcer said that you see that a lot even though it is what instigated the problem. If they do normally call a technical for that then that one should've been called when they looked at the replay.

It might be something that people get away with a lot with no call because nobody's touching anybody or speaking.
Yes. A call against Saban Lee for doing that to a South Carolina player in the waning minutes of a game helped to turn a 5-point lead to a loss in Vanderbilt's 0 and 18 2018-19 season.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Carolyn Peck, recapping the incident, said something like: “After the offensive foul ….” or “After the charge….”

I didn’t see anything in the discussion that indicated the ref may have made a bad call.

call.

:''''(
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

And wasn’t the egregious technical against Robbins in the VCU game considered a taunt. You know, the one where he tapped his head in an exceedingly aggressive manner. The call that sent our coach into the stratosphere.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

This is truly a must-read.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

This is truly a must-read.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:44 pm
memphisVUalum wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:17 pm That is a really interesting story.....

Yes. A call against Saban Lee for doing that to a South Carolina player in the waning minutes of a game helped to turn a 5-point lead to a loss in Vanderbilt's 0 and 18 2018-19 season.
I'm very surprised to hear Saban did that. I am sure I saw it at the time but forgot.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:59 pm And wasn’t the egregious technical against Robbins in the VCU game considered a taunt. You know, the one where he tapped his head in an exceedingly aggressive manner. The call that sent our coach into the stratosphere.
Yes, I remember. Apparently they thought Liam was doing a signal for a taunt and we had thought it could mean something else. The refs were then presuming a silent, non-physical head tap motion was intended as a taunt. And called a technical.

With that reasoning in mind, this other ref set should have understood what Black was doing and called him for a technical. They had plenty of time to review it and no excuse not to see what started this but it is like they only saw that Black was pushed and fell and only counted everything after that. Dumb. You can count what came after too for technicals but that's one-sided to not count what started it.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Looked like a charge to me too. QMB was in position.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

dunc77 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:10 am "Because of the unfortunate design of Vanderbilt's court, he had the worst possible vantage point."

In reality, with the expansion of the coach's box, the coach's view is exactly the same as it is for every normal configuration.
Exactly…Musselman was right in front of the first skirmish with Stute and JW. CJS and crew had a front row seat to the baseline insanity.
Locked Previous topicNext topic