Another cautionary tale from the portal

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Another cautionary tale from the portal

Post by BrentVU »

Mike Wright is reportedly making an official visit to Ole Miss this weekend as a potential landing spot. He might want to consult Dashaun Jerkins about his experiences there.

Jerkins, who was probably the best player on Vanderbilt's defense in 2020, transferred to Ole Miss after three seasons at Vandy (leaving him with a potential two left to play before a possible try for the NFL). He had averaged 48 tackles per season in his 3-year Vandy career that included 27 starts. You would think a guy with that kind of SEC experience would have become an immediate contributor on defense for the "Portal King", who contends the grass is greener in "The Sip."

Well, you'd be wrong. Jerkins appeared in only five games for the Rebels in 2022 (he didn't get into the game at Vandy). Confined to reserve and special teams roles, he had only five tackles all season, and one INT (vs. Central Arkansas). Ole Miss's season was ultimately disappointing, ending with losses in five of the last six games.

Word is out today that Jerkins will transfer to FCS Campbell University for his fifth season of eligibility; this was most likely a roster-clearing move by the "Portal King."

NashvilleNative
Seaman Recruit

Re: Another cautionary tale from the portal

Post by NashvilleNative »

“The Sip” is the lamest of the lame nicknames.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I always thought Mike should have moved to WR once he lost the starting job to AJ. He is tall, mobile, and has speed for days. If he can catch, he would be a perfect fit at wide out. I just do not see him being a starting QB in the SEC. I mean the guy is smart, a natural leader, and super athletic. Maybe I'm wrong and he goes somewhere and kills it as QB, but from what I saw, I think he should transfer to a smaller conference if he wants to be a QB or move to wide out.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Wide out or non-power five conference team is about right. If he goes to Ole Miss as a QB, he likely will see fewer snaps than he would have at VU.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

think Josh Grady....
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I have a question: in a situation like this, would Mike transfer immediately, when the spring semester starts this month at Ole Miss? Or are you committing to transferring in this summer or fall?

I ask because wouldn't a regular (non athlete) student have to go through the admission and enrollment process several weeks or months earlier than the day the semester starts?

Mike was listed as a junior in 2022. I like him and hope he stays
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

FayetteDore wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:21 am I have a question: in a situation like this, would Mike transfer immediately, when the spring semester starts this month at Ole Miss? Or are you committing to transferring in this summer or fall?

I ask because wouldn't a regular (non athlete) student have to go through the admission and enrollment process several weeks or months earlier than the day the semester starts?

He would enroll at his new school in the summer or fall.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:35 am
FayetteDore wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:21 am I have a question: in a situation like this, would Mike transfer immediately, when the spring semester starts this month at Ole Miss? Or are you committing to transferring in this summer or fall?

He would enroll at his new school in the summer or fall.
Thank you Sir.

Evidently, most other schools don't mind accepting student-athletes transfers in as juniors or even seniors.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Not to be rude, but I expect a VU student in good standing, as Mike surely is, would need about a 5 minute admissions process to be accepted at any other SEC school, particularly Ole Miss.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Third assistant strength and conditioning coach goes to admissions and says, "We've got this kid for the football team. He needs to be enrolled so that he can practice in the spring. I don't care what classes you put him in. We will have someone from the tutoring staff pick up his books and assignments."

Done!
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

It was just a question. The real point is that no one else seems to have any objections to transferring in an upper classman, or concerns about "devaluing the degree" because the student earned half his credits elsewhere.

Coach Guepe was SO prescient. 8-)
Seadog73
Admiral

FayetteDore,

Post by Seadog73 »

my use of "rude" was meant for any Ole Miss lurkers, or not to be rude to any other SEC school. It wasn't directed at you, and I could have been more clear.
Locked Previous topicNext topic