OT: Titans are done

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

All n 4 Vandy
Lieutenant

OT: Titans are done

Post by All n 4 Vandy »

Loss to Texans. 5th in a row. on their way to 7 (maybe 8) iar. I hope this leads to wholesale housecleaning after the season. And I'm a Titans fan.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: Titans are done

Post by MrMemorial »

Here's the thing. They have won over and over the last few seasons against inferior teams...games they didn't actually deserve to win. The local sports media would treat them like they were the 1985 Bears after every undeserved win vs each inferior opponent. But that can't last forever. Now the bill has come due. Maybe they shouldn't have done backflips and summersaults after those undeserved wins. Karma is a b!tch. In no way should anybody feel sorry for them. This is their comeuppance.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

Boy, I can see that you are not a Titans fan, I don't know that they are done for in the future or not, time will tell.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

All n 4 Vandy wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:37 pm Loss to Texans. 5th in a row. on their way to 7 (maybe 8) iar. I hope this leads to wholesale housecleaning after the season. And I'm a Titans fan.
Well, the mayor TOLD them to cancel.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

janvandy66 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:47 pm Boy, I can see that you are not a Titans fan, I don't know that they are done for in the future or not, time will tell.
I didn't say they were screwed long-term. They are just now learning a tough but long well-needed lesson in humility. Whether I am a fan or not is irrelevant. I'm calling it the way I see it...and pretty sure correctly.

VU went 5-7. Titans also dropped below .500 --> HOWEVER... let me know when they have a medical school, a law school, a school of engineering...right now as far as I've heard they only have one thing on their plate: football. So with nothing but football to attend to, if they can't do any better than yesterday's game...losing at home to a team that was 1-12 and lost 9 in a row?

Let me know if anything in the above paragraph is inaccurate.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I'm not happy about it, but I agree the Titans are done. When they couldn't agree to a deal with A J Brown and traded him away for draft picks, I feared 2022 was not going to be good. Their RB (Henry) is terrific, but Tannehill is average on a good day, and the rest of the team is, well, Titan-like.
Last edited by geeznotagain on Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

When half of your team can't play because of injuries then you can't beat anybody and I agree when they lost A.J. Brown that was a tell tell sign of bad things to come. When the NCAA voted to pay college players and let them transfer anywhere then that was also a terrible situation for us at Vandy. The big get bigger and the small schools are left behind. Thats the world we live in fans.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Maybe we should build them a $10 billion stadium. Would that help ?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I've been a Preds fan for a long time but the deal about former first round draft pick Tolvanen being given away for nothing in return? Not even a draft pick or a minor league prospect? Nothing. Nada. Goose egg.

And he was immediately picked up by a first place team. I think Poile lost some fans with that move.

And the guy was not paid extravagantly. It was not a salary dump at all. Maybe the next coach would have liked having him on the ice instead of being a healthy scratch how many times in a row.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

They play at JAX for the division title no matter what happens against Dallas on Thursday. The winner of the division gets a home playoff game. The game will likely be against the Ravens or Bengals, so an uphill battle. But they're probably only a 3 or 4 point underdog at home in the playoffs. They may not be great, but they're in the mix after being in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. Just saying...
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:16 pm They play at JAX for the division title no matter what happens against Dallas on Thursday. The winner of the division gets a home playoff game. The game will likely be against the Ravens or Bengals, so an uphill battle. But they're probably only a 3 or 4 point underdog at home in the playoffs. They may not be great, but they're in the mix after being in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. Just saying...
This is something that annoys me about both the Titans and the Predators. The mentality that “Look how great a season we had, we made the playoffs!” When they really had a mediocre season and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

The Titans wouldn’t be in the playoffs four straight years if the AFC South wasn’t so putrid. The Colts, Jaguars and Texans are the worst teams in the league every year. When all you have to do is have a better record than those teams, it’s not that great of an accomplishment. Quit acting like you’re world beaters. Beating the worst teams in the league to make the playoffs only to lose in the first round is not a successful season, IMO.

Same with the Predators. They barely made the playoffs the last two years and got beat badly in the first round and their owners and GM bragged about what a great season they’d had in their postseason news conference.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

If Tannehill is out the rest of the season Titans have NO chance with Willis....none!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

What's the supposed injury keeping Lewan out all season? He was hosting the halftime on the field at the Arizona Bowl today on the brain-dead excuse for a channel called "Barstool" and he was trotting and jumping all over the place. His WWE loudmouth mannerisms in announcing fit in perfect with that "sports station."

But shouldn't it concern whoever replaced Robinson that he is moonlighting while on their payroll at "Barstool" and doesn't even have the slightest hint of a limp while doing so?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Lewan should have been waived before training camp. He never makes it thru a season and his cap hit was huge! Robinson was in way over his head and didnt give this team a chance….inexcusable! To have 2 first round draft picks not even see the field is mind boggling!! One of the worst GMs in the history of sports.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

janvandy66 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:47 pm Boy, I can see that you are not a Titans fan, I don't know that they are done for in the future or not, time will tell.
I don't know if this was aimed at me or MrM. But i hated every one of those losses. Being realistic (and, it it turns out, exactly right) doesn't mean someone isn't a fan.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I used to be a Titans fan. Until they drafted "Pac Man" after they said they couldn't draft Randy Moss because he was caught with 2 joints in middle school. And then they caved in and paid Chris Johnson $$$$$$$$$$$$ which turned him from an aggressive star runner into a tippy-toes has-been. There were lots of reasons to stop liking the Titans over the years.

Thus I am NOT a fan anymore, which doesn't make anything in this thread any less true. It looks like the fans and former fans are pretty much in agreement on many points.
Locked Previous topicNext topic