Re'Mahn Davis has committed to... Kentucky

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re'Mahn Davis has committed to... Kentucky

Post by BrentVU »

Where he will likely play in the same backfield with NC State transfer Devin Leary...

Warning: Don't click play the video unless you're sure you can withstand the sight of Davis in a blue Wildcat uniform...

[tweet][/tweet]

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re'Mahn Davis has committed to... Kentucky

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I just threw up a little in my mouth for the second time today...
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Hope he doesn't play much.

Call it or me what you want, but transferring to a division rival reeks of poor taste. Kind of like when Ethan Smith transferred to the UT baseball program (nice 1 2/3 inning season you had there, bud), it's almost like rubbing it in our face. If he had gone to another division , say AU, LSU, etc., it's much more palatable.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Only raises one question for me......Why are colleges like Vanderbilt spending hundreds of millions of dollars on these programs when the game is now officially over? For decades we knew how harmful the free agent system is for college sports. Now we celebrate it. No fans at most schools. Losing money at most, and now we have to buy players? If not for new gambling laws college sports would be a dying proposition.

Can't wait to se what this looks like by 2030. What is that about the goose and the golden egg?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Davis is a young man who is doing what is best for him. He gave 100% effort at all times. I wish him well.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

What does this say about the UK coaches? We beat them there and this is their answer. If we beat them next year I know who will be looking for a job and there won't be many tears at Vanderbilt. Gives new twist to "if you can't beat 'em" - buy their players.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

He is doing what he thinks is best for him, but as I feel for every RB we face, I hope we beat him into the ground come the KY game.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I want good things for the kid, but that's bs. Shouldnt be able to transfer to a division member school. Period.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

baseball1234 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:16 pm Davis is a young man who is doing what is best for him. He gave 100% effort at all times. I wish him well.
I guess you are a nicer man than I.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Not that it matters one iota, I think it stinks too. Just about anywhere else ok.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

College sports will be dead in 10 years except for a few power house programs. It will be the minor leagues for everyone else. How many of you go to watch minor league baseball?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

It's pretty widely acknowledged he was not able to get in to grad school at Vanderbilt.
His choices were 1) take an athletic scholarship for 1 year of grad school, 2) give up on grad school 3) pay for grad school out of his own pocket.
I don't see any reason to begrudge him making a graduate transfer choice from this option set.
Yes, it would have been preferable had he gone somewhere other than Kentucky.
But if there's anyone for VU fans to begrudge here, it's the grad school admission department.
On the net scale of contributing vs detracting, Ray Davis left Vanderbilt better than he found it. Holding a grudge against Davis is misdirected.

However, I do agree I'd like to see an improved Vanderbilt defense hold him to -2 yards per carry next year. That's not petty, it's just competition.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

alathIN wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:48 pm It's pretty widely acknowledged he was not able to get in to grad school at Vanderbilt.
His choices were 1) take an athletic scholarship for 1 year of grad school, 2) give up on grad school 3) pay for grad school out of his own pocket.
I don't see any reason to begrudge him making a graduate transfer choice from this option set.
Yes, it would have been preferable had he gone somewhere other than Kentucky.
But if there's anyone for VU fans to begrudge here, it's the grad school admission department.
On the net scale of contributing vs detracting, Ray Davis left Vanderbilt better than he found it. Holding a grudge against Davis is misdirected.

However, I do agree I'd like to see an improved Vanderbilt defense hold him to -2 yards per carry next year. That's not petty, it's just competition.
What I understand being intimated by some including me is that the conference should discourage intra conference transfers. There plenty of other grad schools at othe P5 schools with much lower academic rank. Commish ahould make a strong suggestion not to eat our own. What would it be like if Auburn got a bunch of Bama boys and vice versa? Not good I fear.

It is preposterous to blame our graduate schools that all take education very seriously. Lots and lots of students aren't admitted to grad school which have far fewer spots than undergraduste school which permits them to allow athletes to matriculate and be heavily tutored.

As for Davis, I asmire the young man and, too, wish him well. Wish he were going to a non-SEC East grad school hiwever. He is one heck of a young man and RB, from what I have read.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Stinks....wish we could have kept him. Now, where will Swann go?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic