Thoughts on Vandy's loss to Tennessee

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Thoughts on Vandy's loss to Tennessee

Post by BrentVU »

1. First, give credit to the No. 9-ranked Vols. They dominated Vandy on both lines of scrimmage and overwhelmed the Dores with superior speed at the skill positions, and that was that. Coming off a devastating road loss the week before, the "Big" Orange's mindset seemed to be right.

Vandy trailed only 21-0 at the half, despite giving up a Milton-to-Hyatt bomb and a punt return TD. But that was just Act One. In the second half Josh Heupel's Vols, known as an explosive passing team, demolished Vandy with an astounding 295 rushing yards, which included 265 on four TD runs alone.

And what's remarkable is how short-handed they were. Besides Heisman candidate QB Hendon Hooker, they were missing WR Cedric Tillman (who torched Vandy last year) and at least five defensive backs. So, give them credit. None of what I say below will diminish that.

2. Still, it is beyond me how it took the brain trust 2-1/2 quarters and a 35-point deficit to figure out that a one-dimensional offense was not going to work against these Vols. Lately Coach Lea had spoken about Vanderbilt "playing to our identity," and recently that identity had been riding the back of Ray Davis, and occasionally using the speed of Mike Wright and Jayden McGowan to "puncture" the defense. Well, Tennessee knew exactly what was coming and ganged up to stop it, and Vandy waited way too late to adjust. The Vols ended with 13 tackles for loss and 3 sacks.

A.J. Swann, who had missed the last two games with an "undisclosed" injury, didn't enter until 10:43 left in the third quarter, Dores trailing 35-0, and gave the team an immediate lift. Suddenly Will Sheppard perked up and made a few catches. But the Vols eventually adjusted to that too and finally knocked Swann out of the game with a hard sack.

OK, there may have been health concerns about using Swann; I get that. The brain trust obviously thought Vandy's best chance to win was to run, use clock, shorten the game, and keep UT's explosive offense off the field; I get that. But once Vandy fell behind 21-0, the only way it was going to get back in the game was to throw the ball and loosen up that defense. If you don't trust Wright to throw the ball, well... there's a strong-armed QB on the bench who was the face of the program for two seasons and has 18 starts in 2020 and 2021, who by the way dutifully signaled in plays but didn't make a single appearance in 2022.

Vandy couldn't score a single point against a defense that had given up 63 points the week before.

3. I thought the defense played pretty well... for the first half, limiting UT to 14 points. It shouldn't have been all that tired in the second half; Tennessee only ran 55 total plays. But those four second-half TD runs were head-scratchers. Vol running backs burst through the line, usually breaking one half-hearted tackle attempt and were off to the races. To the untrained eye it appeared as though Vandy had quit playing, and maybe there was some of that. The tackling in the rain was abysmal. I would say that Tennessee, once ahead 35-0, didn't need to pass much, and Vandy seemed to be focused on not getting beat deep by the pass. Either way it's a failure. But again, Tennessee has rolled up 50 or more points on some pretty good defenses this season, including Alabama's and Missouri's. Their offense finds a way to exploit what you give it.

4. For the Vanderbilt fan, there is nothing better than beating Tennessee, and there is nothing worse than losing to Tennessee-- except losing big to them-- in miserable weather. The steady rain didn't seem to hurt Tennessee at all, but it caused a couple of fumbled snaps and slips for Vanderbilt. It seemed to take some of the starch out of the big-game atmosphere that the program had tried hard last week to generate.

Mike Wright finishes the season 4-2 as a starter, and it's interesting to me that the two losses (and his two worst performances) were in games marked by sloppy downpours (Wake Forest was the other).

Meanwhile, the officials had evidently made a pact not to call Tennessee for holding on this rainy night.

5. The only silver lining that I saw? Jayden McGowan showed some fearlessness as a kickoff returner. He had 76 yards on two returns, and Tennessee finally opted to start kicking it away from him.

6. A big thank-you to the 27 academic seniors who were recognized before the game; they have all given a lot. They had hoped for a better ending.

What's next? Vanderbilt coaches had better be hitting the recruiting trail as of today, and maybe the transfer portal too. Early signing day is Dec. 21. The most urgent need is for defensive linemen and team speed on defense. Over the next few days, we should be hearing from several senior players as to whether they plan to return or not (Ray Davis, Anfernee Orji, and Jaylen Mahoney head the list, but also linemen Hernandez, Clifton, and James). Other players, as always, could be hitting the portal (it's hard to imagine that Ken Seals wouldn't, and it's even possible that Mike Wright could).

Hawaii comes to town next Aug. 26. The schedule this year was unusually tough, and it should be a little better next year.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Vandy's loss to Tennessee

Post by charlestonalum »

"Playing to our identity" cost us this game. Lea et al need to learn to "take what they give you." Do all defensive coaches have a stuborness in their DNA? I must admit that SC coaches (also in year 2) showed what being creative can do especially on offense. We did the opposite.
I hope Swann did not get another concussion. In retrospect, Seals should have been the early QB option - in the first half.
We had an improved season, but the future is not rosy if this staff cannot be more flexible and creative given the talent deficit.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

this was one of the most embarrassing losses to UT in a long long time. Like really really bad. Like had CCL not won the past two SEC games he should have been fired for the team's effort against UT last night
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

I only watched the first half and barely paid attention to any of the second half. This game came down to coaching and more specifically play calling. I think it took til the final drive of the half or second to last before Vanderbilt called a pass play on a down besides 3rd and long. Even on our first drive where we were moving after the mishandled snap we ran right up the middle on 2nd and 22. I get that running is our strength but you have to threaten with the pass. On the drive they finally threw in the first half I believe wright completed both passes. It was there for the taking. You do that early and then call a double move for a shot.

Instead we literally just ran all the time against stacked boxes and never made Tennessee worry about a deep shot. UT's DC probably should send us a thank you card after the game they had a week ago literally made this a practice for them.

For next year I do believe AJ is the better QB. However, for Vandy to win SEC games I think we are better off with Wright and a better OC. We aren't a line up and beat the man in front of you every play team. Wright's threat with his legs is what won us SEC games. We need a better play caller who can put Wright on the move with easy options to throw to and if covered run. Maybe I'm wrong and AJ can just sit back there in a pro style offense and win but I personally don't see that working.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

First, I thought there was a decent chance UT would come out listless, uninspired, uninterested in the game after the cumulative effects of last weekend. I also thought VU would come out the opposite of UT with everything to play for. Boy was I wrong.

Second, I am saddened that Ken Seals did not get a snap last night. I admit, the beatdown was so bad I quit not long after Swann came in. I saw in Brent's report (excellent as always) that Swann got injured, AGAIN. With the score as bad as it was, give Seals the snaps as a reward(?) for sticking it out. How much worse could the end result have been?

I think that may have been Heupel's best coaching all year, for the reasons stated in my first paragraph. Not so much for CCL and staff.

Recruiting - it will be interesting to see who we lose between now and 12/21, who we gain, and what effect the portal has - again who we lose and who we gain. We need help almost everywhere.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Frankly, it was one of the worst-coached games I've seen from Vandy in a long time. Yes, the effort from the players was half-hearted at times across the board, but it was a really disappointing effort from the sidelines, too.

Vandy being gashed so badly on the ground in the second half was just pitiful and so unexpected. When UT came out and Milton hit that bomb to Hyatt I thought, oh, they are going right after our weakness and we'll see that all night. But they also recognized Milton's limits at halftime and just ran right at us in the second half.

There were obviously some good things that occurred this season, but after last night I hope Clark Lea focuses his attention in the offseason on the three games where VU was outscored 166-3. I'm sure he knows we'll learn more from those contests than the five wins, but he can't rest on the laurels of the progress that was made this year. He has some hard decisions to make.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:37 am "Playing to our identity" cost us this game. Lea et al need to learn to "take what they give you." Do all defensive coaches have a stuborness in their DNA? I must admit that SC coaches (also in year 2) showed what being creative can do especially on offense. We did the opposite.
I hope Swann did not get another concussion. In retrospect, Seals should have been the early QB option - in the first half.
We had an improved season, but the future is not rosy if this staff cannot be more flexible and creative given the talent deficit.
In 1984, Vandy rolled into Tuscaloosa 3-0, having passed their way to a great start. We lined up and ran the ball down their throats on the first drive. I distinctly remember a bammer behind me standing and screaming "YOU CAN'T RUN THE BALL, YOU'RE A PASSING TEAM!" I looked back at him and said "we just did."

And we had. The coach had devised an offensive plan to meet the weakness of that bama team and we won the game. This bunch seems almost as stubborn as Derrick Mason's crew. Until we get someone who will be willing to step out of their comfort zone and meet the enemy on the flank (as opposed to 85 up the middle runs), we will never have widespread success.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

The defensive game plan was a head scratcher. Nine teams played UT with the same plan of sagging off to limit big plays; they went 0-9. Two teams played aggressive bump and run and had success. The defensive halftime adjustment was simply mind boggling. Instead of playing more aggressive on the outside and increasing pocket pressure by bringing extra rushers, we sagged off more and widened the defense. This resulted in some devastating runs up the vacated middle.

Offensive game plan? There is no way to judge the staff as Mike would not run the plays called and immediately looked short first on passing plays. Coordinators don't call various iso plays for receivers to set up dump passes, it's the other way around. Sheppard should have had a monster game but was instead relegated to being a cheerleader for the punting team. It's those 10-15 yard strikes with potential to break as big plays that opens running lanes. The QB has to at least attempt them.

I said on this board CCL would be Mason 2.0. Still holding out hope he proves me wrong as I think he's a man of high character who loves the school and community, but the name of the game with todays rules is spreading the offense (as opposed to tight groupings).

Overall it was a pretty good season that exceeded our expectations. I'm proud of what coaches, players, staff, and those who work behind the scenes (without getting mentioned often) accomplished. Let's hope for a good recruiting haul and a healthy off-season.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

DivergentDore wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:15 am
Overall it was a pretty good season that exceeded our expectations. I'm proud of what coaches, players, staff, and those who work behind the scenes (without getting mentioned often) accomplished. Let's hope for a good recruiting haul and a healthy off-season.
The get-out-of-jail free-covid transfer thing cost us dearly. We lost some really solid talent. Even worse for Northwestern...they just finished 1-11, a Watson Brown level of losing. But seriously, after defections like the ones we had, if we had converted that 4th and one late vs Mizzou, a bowl game thread would be on here.

Schools like VU and Northwestern are going to be playing catch-up for a while. Wake Forest with 7 wins and Duke with eight. Maybe the SEC and BigTen are tougher than the ACC?
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:14 am Frankly, it was one of the worst-coached games I've seen from Vandy in a long time. Yes, the effort from the players was half-hearted at times across the board, but it was a really disappointing effort from the sidelines, too.

Vandy being gashed so badly on the ground in the second half was just pitiful and so unexpected. When UT came out and Milton hit that bomb to Hyatt I thought, oh, they are going right after our weakness and we'll see that all night. But they also recognized Milton's limits at halftime and just ran right at us in the second half.

There were obviously some good things that occurred this season, but after last night I hope Clark Lea focuses his attention in the offseason on the three games where VU was outscored 166-3. I'm sure he knows we'll learn more from those contests than the five wins, but he can't rest on the laurels of the progress that was made this year. He has some hard decisions to make.
Echoing Auric’s sentiments, Lea seems like a solid guy and has a good big picture plan… but he’s in a difficult spot of having offensive and defensive coordinators that are only ok. Probably not bad enough to be fired, but certainly not great coordinators. Raises the question if he did fire them, could he replace them with anyone better? Losing Minter to Michigan was a big loss. Ideally Lynch and Howell will leave for other opportunities of their own volition; but I’m not sure either are going to produce on that level to get better promotion offers. Need them both to take FCS head coaching gigs 🙏.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Echoing Auric’s sentiments, Lea seems like a solid guy and has a good big picture plan… but he’s in a difficult spot of having offensive and defensive coordinators that are only ok. Probably not bad enough to be fired, but certainly not great coordinators. Raises the question if he did fire them, could he replace them with anyone better? Losing Minter to Michigan was a big loss. Ideally Lynch and Howell will leave for other opportunities of their own volition; but I’m not sure either are going to produce on that level to get better promotion offers. Need them both to take FCS head coaching gigs 🙏.
[/quote]

I have to ask. If you were an AD looking for a coach, would you be pursuing Lynch ?
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:43 am
DivergentDore wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:15 am
The get-out-of-jail free-covid transfer thing cost us dearly. We lost some really solid talent. Even worse for Northwestern...they just finished 1-11, a Watson Brown level of losing. But seriously, after defections like the ones we had, if we had converted that 4th and one late vs Mizzou, a bowl game thread would be on here.

Schools like VU and Northwestern are going to be playing catch-up for a while. Wake Forest with 7 wins and Duke with eight. Maybe the SEC and BigTen are tougher than the ACC?
The transfers out hit us hard on the field and in APR. N'western, Duke, and Stanford were also hit very by transfers. Wake on the other hand decided to compete on the field and are +2 in transfers. Wake still had a disappointing season with only a single win over a team with a winning record.

Duke likewise benefitted from an embarrassingly easy schedule with only one win over a team with a winning record (Wake). Not only did they benefit from playing in the ACC Costal, they played nobody on out of conference schedule and avoided the top 5 teams cross division. ACC Costal division is so bad that 6 of the 7 teams had at least 1 preseason vote to win the division and everyone knew the eventual winner would be the team which played the least worst.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:14 am Frankly, it was one of the worst-coached games I've seen from Vandy in a long time. Yes, the effort from the players was half-hearted at times across the board, but it was a really disappointing effort from the sidelines, too.

Have to sadly agree on what seemed a lackluster effort. I do wonder if players became frustrated with the poor decisions from the coaching staff. They want to be given a chance to win; not sure that they were.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

DivergentDore wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:15 am The defensive game plan was a head scratcher. Nine teams played UT with the same plan of sagging off to limit big plays; they went 0-9. Two teams played aggressive bump and run and had success. The defensive halftime adjustment was simply mind boggling. Instead of playing more aggressive on the outside and increasing pocket pressure by bringing extra rushers, we sagged off more and widened the defense. This resulted in some devastating runs up the vacated middle.

Offensive game plan? There is no way to judge the staff as Mike would not run the plays called and immediately looked short first on passing plays. Coordinators don't call various iso plays for receivers to set up dump passes, it's the other way around. Sheppard should have had a monster game but was instead relegated to being a cheerleader for the punting team. It's those 10-15 yard strikes with potential to break as big plays that opens running lanes. The QB has to at least attempt them.

I said on this board CCL would be Mason 2.0. Still holding out hope he proves me wrong as I think he's a man of high character who loves the school and community, but the name of the game with todays rules is spreading the offense (as opposed to tight groupings).

If Mike wasn't running the plays called or making terrible reads he should have been yanked in the early part of the game!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

To my way of thinking, the game was inexplicable.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

I gave up before Swann came in so I didn’t see the hit. I do hope he’s OK. But putting him in down 35-0 to get knocked around when we have an healthy experienced gunslinger on the bench may have been the worst of the bad coaching calls last night.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

We were embarrassingly bad yesterday. I am not saying we could have won the game, but we should have played much better than we did. It's an actual insult to refer to Lea as Mason 2.0 since Mason never lost that badly to UT.

Lea needs new coordinators ASAP. He also needs to attend some coaching clinics this summer, too.
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

I have to ask. If you were an AD looking for a coach, would you be pursuing Lynch ?
[/quote]

One of the points often lost on hires is that coordinator and head coach are different skill sets… certainly requires wisdom in hiring to identify which skills are present. Bob Shoop comes to mind as a solid defensive coordinator seemingly without head coach capabilities. Mason may be another, but his performance as defensive coordinator at Auburn and Oklahoma State possibly call that into question as well.

I honestly think Lea has the right makeup to be a head coach… but he has to keep his eyes open to coordinator upgrades if they are available IMHO.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

TnValleyDore wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:52 pm I gave up before Swann came in so I didn’t see the hit. I do hope he’s OK. But putting him in down 35-0 to get knocked around when we have an healthy experienced gunslinger on the bench may have been the worst of the bad coaching calls last night.
Swann got sacked on a third down play, and that was his last play of the game. It looked as though his helmet did hit the turf as he fell, but not as hard as in the South Carolina game. He went into the injury tent during Tennessee's possession, and later came out and looked OK. But Wright went into the game on the next Vandy possession and went the rest of the way.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:43 pm
TnValleyDore wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:52 pm I gave up before Swann came in so I didn’t see the hit. I do hope he’s OK. But putting him in down 35-0 to get knocked around when we have an healthy experienced gunslinger on the bench may have been the worst of the bad coaching calls last night.
Swann got sacked on a third down play, and that was his last play of the game. It looked as though his helmet did hit the turf as he fell, but not as hard as in the South Carolina game. He went into the injury tent during Tennessee's possession, and later came out and looked OK. But Wright went into the game on the next Vandy possession and went the rest of the way.
Swann's dad tweeted out this afternoon that he is fine.
Locked Previous topicNext topic