nice to have a home win

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

nice to have a home win

Post by alathIN »

Would love to hear from folks who were there.
I'm sure there was a big Gator fan turnout, but even so, it's nice to reward the VU fans who came out in the cold to cheer for their Commodores.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: nice to have a home win

Post by charlestonalum »

Yes lets here it from thise at the game. Fayettevtalking to you.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:16 pm Yes lets here it from thise at the game. Fayettevtalking to you.
It was definitely a good game and fun to be at. Wasn't really that cold and the sun was out all day. I'm hoarse from all the yelling on all those Gator 3rd and 4th downs.

I'd say the UF crowd was large but not overpowering. They only brought a pep band. Others can chime in but my estimate is a 50/50 split. This image was late in the game after several Gator fans had left. There were several in Sections A & B but weren't obnoxious (and had nothing to be obnoxious about).
VU-UF.JPG
VU-UF.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1486 times
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

In addition to an SEC win, most Vandy fans came home with this:

Replica Stadium.JPG
Replica Stadium.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1456 times
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:16 pm Yes lets here it from thise at the game. Fayettevtalking to you.
But also Charleston, given how upset you were about Tennessee storming the field after their bama game, you probably wouldn't have liked what students who hadn't left for Thanksgiving break did at game's end. And you wouldn't want to see Aria Gerson's tweet of that happening.

And here's another tweet of the "storming." . More like an orderly procession onto the field.

Personally, I thought it was lovely. 8-)
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

If both the west and east stands are the same size, I think there would be more UF fans on those sides. We sat in the end one and I did not look around me to see how many fans of which team were in attendance.

In the other post here, I saw some Vandy fans with 4 or more of the stadium models.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I wasnt thinking about Fall break. Would have been nice to have more students there
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

vutrain wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:32 pm If both the west and east stands are the same size, I think there would be more UF fans on those sides. We sat in the end one and I did not look around me to see how many fans of which team were in attendance.

In the other post here, I saw some Vandy fans with 4 or more of the stadium models.
You could be right vutrain; it might have been a 55-45 Florida crowd. It's hard to gauge the side I'm sitting in. I'd say they had more fans in Section A where I was than Vandy fans, and possibly in B.

And yes, I too saw several people carrying as many of the stadium replicas as they could. I saw several Gator fans grab them too. I felt sorry for the young woman who was behind the table where they were given out because she couldn't enforce the one-per-person rule.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

There were so few students at the game that I didn’t even look to see if any were going onto the field.

Many of the Florida fans left before the last “drive” for the Gators.

I saw some of their fans at the Vanderbilt Bookstore after the game. Perhaps they collect souvenirs of their vanquishers. And a group at Jack Cawthon’s BBQ later were saying, “I still can’t believe Florida lost that game.”

Plenty of Orange and Blue in the streets afterwards. I hope they enjoyed the Nash.

— Oh, and the scalpers were out before the game. Must have told ticket buyers it was a sellout.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Five other observations about being at the game:

1) A WHOLE LOT of Florida fans left half way through the fourth quarter, when the score was 28-12. I mean a WHOLE LOT of Florida fans; especially the ones that were sitting down low. I was amazed by this; the game was far from over, as we saw. That may have helped Vandy down the stretch.

2) Considering the state of the program the last 3 years, I thought the Vanderbilt crowd was pretty good. I mean... have you SEEN the crowds at Duke and USC?

3) I think Florida dropped about 8 passes. Had they not dropped those, Florida wins.

4) I've never been to a football game with so many breaks in the action -- official reviews, TV timeouts, problems with the clock

5) I know this has been talked about, but the music between plays is way, way too loud... it is 3 times louder than the marching bands. It's rock concert loud; so loud that you can say anything to the person next to you. Not a big fan of this.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

historybill wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:17 am

I know this has been talked about, but the music between plays is way, way too loud... it is 3 times louder than the marching bands. It's rock concert loud; so loud that you can say anything to the person next to you. Not a big fan of this.
My seats are Section A, Row 29. Perhaps it is different closer to the middle, but we can not understand the PA announcer.

The music we can hear fine. :lol:
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

historybill wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:17 am Five other observations about being at the game:

1) A WHOLE LOT of Florida fans left half way through the fourth quarter, when the score was 28-12. I mean a WHOLE LOT of Florida fans; especially the ones that were sitting down low. I was amazed by this; the game was far from over, as we saw. That may have helped Vandy down the stretch.

2) Considering the state of the program the last 3 years, I thought the Vanderbilt crowd was pretty good. I mean... have you SEEN the crowds at Duke and USC?

3) I think Florida dropped about 8 passes. Had they not dropped those, Florida wins.

4) I've never been to a football game with so many breaks in the action -- official reviews, TV timeouts, problems with the clock

5) I know this has been talked about, but the music between plays is way, way too loud... it is 3 times louder than the marching bands. It's rock concert loud; so loud that you can say anything to the person next to you. Not a big fan of this.
I really think this #5 keeps people like me from ever wanting to attend the games in person. I have complained- obviously to no avail.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

I'll bite as my wife and I did make it up to First Bank yesterday. After joining the VU community as a student in '83, I can finally strike watching Vanderbilt beat Florida in person off my life's wish list. While I did not expect VU to pull it out, I had optimistic expectations of a competitive game (I picked Florida by 6 pts) as I thought the chilly weather might bother them a bit (I really think it did) and it just looked like a "come out flat" game for them after whipping So. Carolina the week before and possibly looking ahead to the biggest UF-FSU game in years. Turns out I wasn't optimistic enough.

I too was in Section A. It looked and felt to me like a neutral crowd of maybe 24-27K people. I won't argue about which side had more but neither had more than ~60%. There were also two or three small groups in Tennessee gear in our vicinity pulling for the home team. And yes, the sound in Section A is terrible. There seem to be two competing sets of speakers and you can't understand the PA announcer.

The kinds of things that needed to happen for us to have a chance fell into place nicely yesterday. Besides the TD on the muffed punt, we were gifted key first downs from stupid UF penalties. Mahoney made a great play on the interception but it took a lucky bounce to make it even possible. Still, call me impressed with what Lea has been able to do this year. I am amazed how well we ran the ball yesterday and against Kentucky and how the defense has improved. Without that, it would have been opportunity missed. The guys are really playing hard for Lea.

I will close with another mini gripe from an otherwise most enjoyable Saturday. Sounding the Admiral after a VU score is sorta cool. Sounding it on every "3rd down!" is too much.
Locked Previous topicNext topic