13th game?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DonYates
Commodore

13th game?

Post by DonYates »

If we beat Florida why not get the 13th game that we are allowed since we played at Hawaii? Then we could go for six wins and that would be huge. That would give our guys an extra week of practice as well.

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: 13th game?

Post by Vandy187187 »

Sounds good to me
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Who would we be able to schedule at the last minute?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

That means we would have to beat either Florida or UT.....well would have to be Florida as UT will ring 50+ on us.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:44 am Who would we be able to schedule at the last minute?
I stated here some time ago that I assumed the team would schedule a 13th game (as allowed) in advance.

That's what I get for making an assumption. I guess coaches would rather get an extra Bye week.

In hindsight, one more winnable game (versus non-power-conference FBS foe) coupled with our win tomorrow over Florida could have set Vanderbilt up for a bowl bid.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:45 pm
Golddore68 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:44 am Who would we be able to schedule at the last minute?
I stated here some time ago that I assumed the team would schedule a 13th game (as allowed) in advance.

That's what I get for making an assumption. I guess coaches would rather get an extra Bye week.

In hindsight, one more winnable game (versus non-power-conference FBS foe) coupled with our win tomorrow over Florida could have set Vanderbilt up for a bowl bid.
Way too late and makes a big assumption about FL game. Nonetheless, any bowl game this year would have been huge as to trajectory of program. I will still be completely content with the season if we beat FL.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

4 is more than i thought they'd win. I'd be moderately happy (tho surprised) with 5. And isn't there still the deal where 5 Ws can get you in? (Because there are too many bowls.)
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I count 42 bowls plus the championship game, meaning 84 openings.

After Vanderbilt beats Florida I will start counting teams with 6 wins.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Coastal Carolina is open, their 12th game against Virginia was cancelled.

Not sure it’s winnable, and doubt it’s even possible at ghis point.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

1. I'm pretty sure that since we used the extra bye week we can't also schedule a 13th game.
2. Yes, the opening for a 5-7 bowl to be awarded a bowl bid is still available. However, Vandy's APR score ranked a not-so-great 57th this year, so we'll be way down the pecking order.
LeaFan
Seaman Recruit

Post by LeaFan »

Hey, long time, first time. I'm an ND fan that's been a lurker since Lea came over from ND. I looked up the 13th game rule a couple times because once in a while our fans mention how we could do it.

As I understand it, Vanderbilt could use it and could play the game the week of the conference championships. The hard part for someone like ND is finding another team that will be open that week, but with the circumstances this year, there are a couple options.

1st- Virginia - I kind of doubt they will play another game this year, but who knows. Maybe they want a senior game to send people off.

2nd - Virginia's opponent this week, Coastal Carolina - They look to be in a championship game on conference championship week. Probably not an option.

Besides that UVA-CCU game getting cancelled, the Akron @ Buffalo game was also canceled due to weather. I haven't seen anything definitive, but it sounded like they weren't going to make the game up.

3rd - Akron - They are having a rough year, so unless Vanderbilt pays them a good amount to go to Nashville, they probably want their season to end.

4th - Buffalo - This is probably the best option. They just lost a home game, so they are probably willing to play another game to make some of that money back. They also have 5 wins right now, so they might want another opportunity (even if small) to get bowl eligible if they lose this week.
Locked Previous topicNext topic