Worse call I have ever seen?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

Worse call I have ever seen?

Post by thefan »

The so-called "Horse Collar" call was one of the worse against Vandy I have ever witnessed! The official who made that needs to retire or sit out a couple of weeks. Perhaps have his bank accounts audited or travel to Vegas limited!

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Worse call I have ever seen?

Post by Go Vandy! »

The fact that they absolutely refused to review tells you a lot. It-not matter which way it went- was a critical play in the game.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

It rivals the non-facemask call against Jay Cutler when a Florida (?) defender held his facemask and twisted it halfway around his head.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

I think that Cutler call was AT Ole Miss. I wish replay review rules would allow calls on facemasks and horse collars (I don't think they do). What about the Shephard fumble on the opening drive. I thought he was close enough to being DOWN to merit a review. Did anyone hear an explanation on that one?
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

How about the anticipatory “excessive celebration” call against Earl Bennett in the 2005 Florida game? I’m still mad about that one.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

MountainDore wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:39 pm How about the anticipatory “excessive celebration” call against Earl Bennett in the 2005 Florida game? I’m still mad about that one.
This one gets my vote as the all-time, particularly in terms of its DIRECT impact on the final result of the game.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

One of my personal favorites.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/HF2IHysHUig[/BBvideo]
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Not sure ncaa replay rules permit review of this.

But stand to be corrected.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:05 am Not sure ncaa replay rules permit review of this.

But stand to be corrected.
Which shows you have much more character than many SEC officials.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

That No Facemask call in Ole MS beats all others.....the official was starring right at Cutler when it happened and swallowed his whistle
Last edited by cjdore on Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

By far the worst call I ever saw was on November 28, 1981. Vandy leads tennessee 34-31 with seconds to go. UT throws the bomb to the right flag. Willie Gualt puts his hands up to catch the ball and the ball goes right through his hands and hits the turf. The ref, while looking at his feet to see if he is in bounds, NEVER looks to see if he caught the ball. He didn't. He didn't come close. But the ref calls it a catch. No one over rules him. Coach goes insane on the sidelines. Next play, from the 1, they punch it in to win 38-34. Tennessee fans just gloated over that play for a year or more.
I am serious as a heart attack too. The ball went right through his hands. He didn't bobble it, he didn't catch and drop it. HE SIMPLY MISSED IT, DIDN'T CATCH IT, AND THE DAMN REF EITHER NEVER SAW IT, OR WAS ON THE PAYROLL.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

The FL no-call PI that 3rdFloorDyer posted comes to mind, along with the DJ Swearingin hatchet job on Jordan Matthew's arm well before the ball arrived as we were driving for a win in the 4th quarter vs SC.

The horse collar was horse ****.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Holy crap. I just watched the willie gault “catch”. That has to be one of the worst ref calls in the history of college football!!!!
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

So so many to even count.

One that always stuck with me:

Freddie Milons fields a punt from VU , Alabama at home, second half long before Saban was there.

Hit while running and still upright, ball pops out, Nate Morrow scoops and scores. Game changer!

Entire stadium saw it, as entire TV audience. Called no score, no fumble-just incredible.

I never believed officials in SEC were truly dirty-until that moment.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I am pretty sure the hit on Freddie MIlons was by Tyler Unzicker.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:47 am Holy crap. I just watched the willie gault “catch”. That has to be one of the worst ref calls in the history of college football!!!!
Can you link it? I tried to find it but couldn't.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Don’t remember the game from about five years ago: Vanderbilt punted and our down field man was about 3 yards from punt returner.

Of course, we made the tackle and it was called catch interference or something like that. I think of that every time our guy is being HIT while he catches the ball.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

The worst calls I remember were in a Vanderbilt-Alabama game in the Woody era. This was early in the season when Vanderbilt was expected to be terrible and Bama was expected to be a Top 10 team again. The game was at Bama.

But we played them very close that year. They wound up winning 24-14, scoring a touchdown on a blocked punt, IIRC.

On two consecutive plays the refs robbed Vanderbilt of a touchdown and a safety. In a game that close either one of those would have made a huge difference.

They didn’t have instant replay then but the games were televised (in the 11:30 Jefferson Pilot game) so everyone could see the replays and how Vanderbilt was robbed.

On fourth and goal Vanderbilt had it inside the 1. Woody went for it. Our quarterback was Greg Zollman. Zollman did a quarterback sneak and fell into the end zone. Half his body was in the end zone including his arms with the ball. There was a mass of bodies surrounding him. Watching the replay, you can’t see clearly if his knee was down before he fell across the goal line or not.

The refs said no, his knee was down inside the one yard line. No touchdown. Turnover on possession to Bama.

The very next play, for some stupid reason, Bama’s coach (Stallings? I can’t remember) had his quarterback pitch it back to the running back. Vanderbilt had stuffed that play all game for no gain and even tackled him in the backfield a couple of times.

It happened again! As soon as Bama’s running back got the pitch three Vanderbilt defenders were on him and brought him down! As he was going down (his knee was already down) the Bama running back stretched his arm and ball across the goal line.

The refs spotted the ball there! They said second down from that spot! Even Bama fans were shocked that they did that and didn’t call a safety. They looked horrified and disgusted.

You can’t have it both ways. If Zollman was down where his knee touched (which may have been after he crossed the goal line) then the Bama running back should have been down where his knee touched in the end zone for the safety.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Slightly OT

UGa @ Vandy.
Cutler is our QB

My seat is high above Ga side ( not pressbox side)

Cutler is run out of bounds. The thUGa players on sideline very precislely open a gap for Jay and the Uga player(s) pursuing him to go through all the way to stadium wall.

THE SIDELINE PLAYERS THEN QUICKLY CLOSE RANKS SO AS TO prevent the Referees or Jay’s teammates from seeing what was being done to Jay for what seemed like an eternity.

Any guesses what thUGa’s did to 6?
midnitelamp5
Seaman

Post by midnitelamp5 »

The call on the field goal against Oklahoma while Fred was here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic