Successful Season

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Successful Season

Post by alathIN »

Winning four games this year, including an SEC win, makes this a successful season.

No, that doesn't mean four wins is the ceiling or that's the long term goal for the program.
But it does mean there is undeniable evidence of improvement.
The ship is on the right course.

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Successful Season

Post by VUaskew »

This is what progress looks like.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Apparently progress and success are the same thing. I used not to think so. If i score 2 out of 100 on a test, then score 3 the next day, that's now considered success.
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CommodoreDad
Captain

Post by CommodoreDad »

What might be missing…
A genuine belief in what we are capable of…
“DARE TO BELIEVE!”
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:42 pm Apparently progress and success are the same thing. I used not to think so. If i score 2 out of 100 on a test, then score 3 the next day, that's now considered success.
Ultimate success? No.
But achieving a milestone of progress is a success.

If you define interim progress short of the final goal as a failure, you must be a source of great cheer and encouragement to everyone around you.

You've heard it, Vandy fans. Until we win the SEC Champoinship, every season is a failure.
Actually, even that would be a failure if we don't win the national championship.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

CommodoreDad wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 pm What might be missing…
A genuine belief in what we are capable of…
“DARE TO BELIEVE!”
Haven’t seen you post here in a while.

— fellow (former) 600 North 19th Street laborer
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Need, 1, possibly 2 more solid recruiting classes. Hopefully, this game, a good game against Florida, and not getting blown out at UT helps
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

If we can beat UK on the road, we can also beat UF at home. We can't turn the ball over like we did against UK and expect another W. We got a little lucky last game and I will take it.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Minoadoc wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:17 am Need, 1, possibly 2 more solid recruiting classes. Hopefully, this game, a good game against Florida, and not getting blown out at UT helps
This staff has shown they can recruit.
Maintaining that requires some on field success to prove the program is building.
Getting an SEC win and doubling the Vegas projected win total helps build that case, even if the total W-L is not where we want to be.

Florida has been on the upswing. Beating them will be a tall order but maybe not impossible.
The UT game will be ugly. Containing elite receivers is this team's Achilles heel and UT has them, plus a very good QB. Probably the most explosive offense we play all year. Would love to be wrong.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Snapping the streak and doubling our win total from last year makes this a successful season. Very happy for the win. I wish we could have won the last two games, too. We'd be bowl eligible if we had.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

No doubt, this year is improvement over last year. That is success. I hope to type that same first sentence on this board at some point during the 2023 season.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

alathIN wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:23 am
Minoadoc wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:17 am Need, 1, possibly 2 more solid recruiting classes. Hopefully, this game, a good game against Florida, and not getting blown out at UT helps
This staff has shown they can recruit.
Maintaining that requires some on field success to prove the program is building.
Getting an SEC win and doubling the Vegas projected win total helps build that case, even if the total W-L is not where we want to be.

Florida has been on the upswing. Beating them will be a tall order but maybe not impossible.
The UT game will be ugly. Containing elite receivers is this team's Achilles heel and UT has them, plus a very good QB. Probably the most explosive offense we play all year. Would love to be wrong.
After seeing the shameful way the viles ended their game yesterday, I believe they will do their utmost to hang a hundred on us. If they do, we shouldn't let them off the field unbloodied.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

commadore, if you are serious in saying "we shouldn't let them off the field unbloodied" and mean for fans to throw things or players to simply fight them outside the applicable rules, I could not DISAGREE with you more. We are better than that and we should never behave as they, and their fans, behave. I hope I am misreading your post and if so I apologize in advance.
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:42 pm Apparently progress and success are the same thing. I used not to think so. If i score 2 out of 100 on a test, then score 3 the next day, that's now considered success.
That is not a fair or accurate comparison, so it demeans what this team has actually accomplished, so far.

If you wanted to say "I got a zero two tests ago, but I'll get at least a 33/100 this time" would be accurate. And while it still might not be considered passing (not without a grading curve- which is definitely a debatable topic in this case), it certainly IS PROGRESS.

Success is quite a relative determination. I don't think anyone would doubt that even if you don't think we have 'achieved success', we have gotten closer to it than many expected we would this season.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

If progress isn’t success, what is it? Failure? Progress can be behind schedule or ahead of schedule I suppose, but I can’t say it is failure in this case. It looks like success to me, especially with two games remaining on the season.

How many people predicted or expected 4 wins in the first 10 games? Would another win on Saturday turn progress into success, even if it is followed by a blowout loss in the finale? I wonder how many would call the season a success if it ended with the biggest upset of the season by beating ut?
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Well Bobby Johnson will be forever known as the "deuce" for his ability to only win 2 games a year. Is Clark Lea now know as "quattro"?
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

i admit to having vandy colored glasses, but we legitimately had a chance to beat Mizzou, and a lesser chance to beat SC. We still lack the talent of even middle of the pack SEC teams, but we may not be far behind. Need to continue talent upgrade, speed in the DB and WR, and as always bigger better OL/DL
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

cjdore wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 am Well Bobby Johnson will be forever known as the "deuce" for his ability to only win 2 games a year. Is Clark Lea now know as "quattro"?
Only if he wins 4 games 3 years in a row.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Positive progress yes.,......A successful season no. Not yet. We beat either Fla or UT maybe then.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Minoadoc wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 pm i admit to having vandy colored glasses, but we legitimately had a chance to beat Mizzou, and a lesser chance to beat SC. We still lack the talent of even middle of the pack SEC teams, but we may not be far behind. Need to continue talent upgrade, speed in the DB and WR, and as always bigger better OL/DL
The encouraging part is that we could have folded like a cheap suit after Ky scored late. We did not. Mizzou certainly was a winnable game. No good team wins all winnable games. Great teams do. I would have loved to have beaten Mizzou too, but in my mind, if we had to choose one, our win Saturday was far more meaningful in the overall scheme of things. Next step is to play more winnable games.
Locked Previous topicNext topic