Bryan Harsin fired at Auburn

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Bryan Harsin fired at Auburn

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

While he was obviously a poor fit from day one, he didn't even make it two full seasons.

He does get $15.5M walking away money, though.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Bryan Harsin fired at Auburn

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Auburn thought so little of the guy they didn't even bother using his name in the announcement:

[tweet][/tweet]
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Sometimes you see someone who is so out of place you feel sorry for them. I grew up an Auburn fan, until I came to VU, and that's how I feel about Harsin. He had a good thing at Boise State but he was a fish out of water at Auburn. And I suspect than between their reported new AD, and this, they may enter the same twilight zone our "friends" to the east inhabited until Josh Heupel appeared on their doorstep.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I am not a tea leaf reader. But I would be surprised they would do this, this way, if they did not have someone semi-lined up.

If that someone is Lane, it will be an instant upgrade.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

roanoke wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:46 pm I am not a tea leaf reader. But I would be surprised they would do this, this way, if they did not have someone semi-lined up.

Though I think they would be insane to do this, a lot of students want Deon Sanders. I think that could lead them to the depths of the SEC and probation.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Tiffin or Freeze, but whoever it is we get to see him at the Dud next year.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

What a bad place

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

It used to be run by Bobby Lowder, now it's run by that midget yeller wood salesman.

It's probably the most corrupt, toxic athletic department in the country. And that's saying something, although most candidates are in the SEC( or soon going to be).

They ran off the existing AD who didn't kowtow to their attempted rumor-mongering of Harskin's family to get the coach to quit so they wouldn't have to pay another buyout since they're still paying off their last coach.

They hired Bruce Pearl. I imagine they'll hire anyone now that the NCAA is all gums.

And now they brought in the Miss State AD to babysit the sandbox. Some things will never change.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

commadore wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:45 pm
roanoke wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:46 pm I am not a tea leaf reader. But I would be surprised they would do this, this way, if they did not have someone semi-lined up.

Though I think they would be insane to do this, a lot of students want Deon Sanders. I think that could lead them to the depths of the SEC and probation.
why is that?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Their new AD - former baseball player at state and UK baseball coach and then AD at MSU has a Vanderbilt connection. Cohen's wife, Nellie, is the daughter of a fellow classmate and frat brother of mine, Sloan Bashinsky and his wife also a VU alum. So let us give Auburn credit for choosing an AD with strong spousal relationship to good old Vanderbilt. Below is a picture of them right after beating Vanderbilt in Omaha a couple of years ago.
Cohens in Omaha.jpg
Cohens in Omaha.jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
dunc77
Ensign

Post by dunc77 »

"President Roberts made the decision . . ."

Tell me another one, Pinocchio.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

VUinFL wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:59 am

why is that?
For multiple reasons, there are many reasons to think this would not be the outcome he would see.

Auburn fans are pretty delusional, but in their defense, they find ways to play good football. In the last 20 years they've had two undefeated seasons and played for a couple of titles (and could've been a third). In normal times (read, not dominated by Alabama) that would be a pretty proud record for a program to hang its hat on. And it was with three different coaches to boot.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

why is that?
If you watch him at Jackson State, he will tell a recruit anything they want to hear and do anything to get them there.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

And now that Harsin is out, an al.com story about his relationship with Coach Mason emerges:

An excerpt (but there's a little more in the article):

Harsin and Mason had an interaction where Mason said “I’ve been a head coach in this league longer than you have.” Harsin replied, “Oh, you mean at Vanderbilt?” according to people familiar with the situation.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:43 pm And now that Harsin is out, an al.com story about his relationship with Coach Mason emerges:

Harsin and Mason had an interaction where Mason said “I’ve been a head coach in this league longer than you have.” Harsin replied, “Oh, you mean at Vanderbilt?” according to people familiar with the situation.
Harsin to Mason: and I have a hot assistant
@AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:43 pm And now that Harsin is out, an al.com story about his relationship with Coach Mason emerges:

And Harson replied "yes, and I won 64 games and you won 27, so shut the hell up!"
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

commadore wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:35 am

why is that?
If you watch him at Jackson State, he will tell a recruit anything they want to hear and do anything to get them there.
oh, so you're just guessing he's doing something that should lead to probation...got it
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

commadore wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:49 pm

And Harson replied "yes, and I won 64 games and you won 27, so shut the hell up!"
Harsin didn't win 64 games in the SEC. I tend to think, that a guy who spent 7-8 years as HC at Vandy knows more about the SEC than anyone else. Should certainly be trusted with choosing his DL coach.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

VUinFL wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:06 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:35 am

why is that?
oh, so you're just guessing he's doing something that should lead to probation...got it
Right. And pitching a recruit hard to get them to your school makes him unique as a college coach how exactly? I'm not really sure it does make him unique.

Deion sells his program and he sells it hard. He pitches Black players on the benefits of playing at an HBCU and works his tail off to promote the program. He is a godsend to that program, university and town from that perspective. It may not work in other places, but its currently working for him at JSU.
Dorefrom88
Commander

Post by Dorefrom88 »

And SEC Shorts weighs in...with a Vanderbilt mention in there, too.
https://youtu.be/uj4NvSZsr8M
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

The sympathy I had for Harsin was washed away when I read about that exchange with CDM. A coordinator should always have a significant, but not necessarily controlling, say in who is hired on his side of he ball.
Locked Previous topicNext topic