New renderings released of Vandy United renovated FirstBank Stadium south end zone

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

New renderings released of Vandy United renovated FirstBank Stadium south end zone

Post by BrentVU »

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: New renderings released of Vandy United renovated FirstBank Stadium south end zone

Post by FayetteDore »

Thanks for posting.

The north end is cool, but the south with that weird 3-level box stand in the southwestern corner looks so out of balance and ridiculous to me. Very slick and modern, yes. But then I have a very orderly and regimented mind so I like things symmetrical. 8-) :roll:

Also, it appears they've reversed the V in the middle of the field, so that it's facing east instead of west.

[Edited because my original post apparently created unnecessary confusion.]
Last edited by FayetteDore on Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Seadog73
Admiral

Re: New renderings released of Vandy United renovated FirstBank Stadium south end zone

Post by Seadog73 »

I think the top rendering is taken from the North endzone looking south, given the location of the press box on the right. That would make the lower rendering from the south, looking north towards the Marriott. But, many have said I have no perspective! :-)
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

It is a bit confusing. The first photo is made standing in the north end zone, which will be the basketball facility; you can see the south end zone, but I don't think there is anything new about that view. (Obviously, the basketball facility will have a great view of the field! The second photo is looking back at the north end zone; you can see the (whited out) Marriott and the Kensington parking garage looming above it in the background.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I've been hoping for more of an update on the construction schedule. It's been a while since I have heard anything about when the most visible work is going to begin. It's been my understanding that demolition of the south end zone was scheduled to begin following this season, but it's been crickets lately.
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm I've been hoping for more of an update on the construction schedule. It's been a while since I have heard anything about when the most visible work is going to begin. It's been my understanding that demolition of the south end zone was scheduled to begin following this season, but it's been crickets lately.
I'm guessing the need to upgrade the power to the site has cost a year of construction. The north end needs to be complete (including visitor locker room, ADA seating and restrooms, officials' locker room, etc.), before we can tear down the south end. Our 2023 schedule will allow an earlier demolition date, but we will have a reduced capacity for one or two years, depending on how fast south end construction proceeds.

The north end video board has been moved back to the middle, a good thing. The south end video board will be in the southeast corner. Looking at the southwest corner I have to wonder if some audio-visual services will get moved there.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

VandyfanKY wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:36 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm I've been hoping for more of an update on the construction schedule. It's been a while since I have heard anything about when the most visible work is going to begin. It's been my understanding that demolition of the south end zone was scheduled to begin following this season, but it's been crickets lately.
I'm guessing the need to upgrade the power to the site has cost a year of construction. The north end needs to be complete (including visitor locker room, ADA seating and restrooms, officials' locker room, etc.), before we can tear down the south end. Our 2023 schedule will allow an earlier demolition date, but we will have a reduced capacity for one or two years, depending on how fast south end construction proceeds.
I think you're right--I mixed up the dates. The schedule announced a year ago stated the north end zone project is supposed to break ground this fall, with completion prior to the 2024 football season.

I'm frustrated, though, by the pace of information surrounding the project. Vandy United was announced in March 2021 and since then we've been receiving updates approximately every six months. And the announcements are basically just updated renderings, and mostly just basketball-related. This week's announcement included no construction schedule updates, when you'd think we should be learning more about exactly when we'll see construction cranes in the north end zone.

I'm aware that updating the power grid and other campus infrastructure was going to be a major project in itself in preparation for the sexier parts of the undertaking. My fear, though, is the same one affecting every other construction project announced in the last two years--that the cost of the project has skyrocketed and the university is now in a delay mode and/or "value engineering" the project. And while I'm delighted to see the new basketball facilities, we could really use some good news for the football program, too.

I'm not expecting any kind of special treatment when it comes to knowing anything more than everyone else, but I committed to Vandy United at a level that puts me at a McGugin Society level of giving very early in the process. After a flurry of information and appeals early in the campaign, the flow of updates has slowed to a trickle. I hope I have no reason to be concerned, but with everything else going on in the external environment I'm slightly worried.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

It does seem that VU Administration is devoted to secrecy. Even considering the constant critiques of coaching issues, the one opinion that gets vigorous support is that marketing /communications here are poor.

In a thread about the Titans' stadium proposal, I commented that it is almost unheard of for projects
such as this to come in on budget. You are right to be concerned, Auric, as every factor of construction from materials to labor is in short supply and likely to stay that way or get worse ( thanks hurricanes, wildfires and droughts !).
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Count me also frustrated by the lack of information, particularly as relates to timelines.
I too made a serious commitment to Vandy United shortly after the projects were first announced. I would think all donors at every level of giving are (dare I say) entitled to know more about what’s to be expected and when.
That to me isn’t asking too much. I’d like to know what my $$ are doing.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I wish I knew I could live until the day of all the huge video displays is over and done with. I can stare at a screen at home.

That being said, I have to admit this one looks impressive.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

FayetteDore wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:35 pm Thanks for posting.

... the south with that weird 3-level box stand in the southwestern corner looks so out of balance and ridiculous to me.
What used to be Section H now sits apart from the rest of the stadium like an island. Reminds me of the apartment rooftop seating beyond the Wrigley Field walls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_R ... _Field.JPG

ONE THING I LIKE, if I'm thinking about this correctly, is the V facing to the east.

Does that mean the TV cameras will be on the east side of the field looking toward (mostly) our own fans? I've been suggesting that for a long time ... but I see our players on what was once the Visitors' sideline. That doesn't make sense.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:19 am
FayetteDore wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:35 pm Thanks for posting.

... the south with that weird 3-level box stand in the southwestern corner looks so out of balance and ridiculous to me.
What used to be Section H now sits apart from the rest of the stadium like an island. Reminds me of the apartment rooftop seating beyond the Wrigley Field walls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_R ... _Field.JPG

ONE THING I LIKE, if I'm thinking about this correctly, is the V facing to the east.

Does that mean the TV cameras will be on the east side of the field looking toward (mostly) our own fans? I've been suggesting that for a long time ... but I see our players on what was once the Visitors' sideline. That doesn't make sense.
I don't recall anything in the earlier renderings about any new addition atop the East side of the stadium (and that would be difficult given the close proximity to the baseball field), plus the TV people probably need elevators to move all that equipment up and down, so my guess is the TV cameras will remain on the West side. The visuals of empty seats or seats filled with opponents aren't good -- but that will be resolved when Vandy fans start filling in those seats.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VUGear
Seaman

Post by VUGear »

VandyfanKY wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:36 pmThe north end needs to be complete (including visitor locker room, ADA seating and restrooms, officials' locker room, etc.), before we can tear down the south end.
Is the team's locker room (recently renovated) going to move over to the stadium or will it stay in McGugin?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

BrentVU wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:24 pm Image

I tend to think that today's modern is tomorrow's tacky!
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

VUGear wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:58 pm
VandyfanKY wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:36 pmThe north end needs to be complete (including visitor locker room, ADA seating and restrooms, officials' locker room, etc.), before we can tear down the south end.
Is the team's locker room (recently renovated) going to move over to the stadium or will it stay in McGugin?
According to the Vandy United website the south end zone will host the home team game day locker room as well as routine team dining. The official team locker room will remain in McGugin Center.
Locked Previous topicNext topic