The aforementioned 10-year plan

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

The aforementioned 10-year plan

Post by Go Vandy! »

is looking more and more likely.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: The aforementioned 10-year plan

Post by charlestonalum »

We beat the spread at least.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

We missed two field goals and threw a pick in the end zone… The game was right there for us.

Just gotta convert. It was right there.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Young team mistakes. How many of us have seen VU teams fold and pack it in down 17 in the first half? This team didn't.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

It is going to take YEARS to rebuild this program.
There’s just not enough SEC caliber players to be competitive on a regular basis. I’ve had season tickets since 1981 and I can’t remember it being this bad. And with the transfer portal being a LIABILITY for us, it will be a minor miracle if we can recruit and actually KEEP most of the quality players we bring in.
Barton Simmons is going to have to be a miracle worker!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

DS, How long would you give them? I'm 68, so i don't have many more decades to wait.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I'd be shocked if it was Lea who turned this around. Unless he changes some coaches around and shows some spunk himself! JMO...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

DS2001 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:24 pm It is going to take YEARS to rebuild this program.
There’s just not enough SEC caliber players to be competitive on a regular basis. I’ve had season tickets since 1981 and I can’t remember it being this bad. And with the transfer portal being a LIABILITY for us, it will be a minor miracle if we can recruit and actually KEEP most of the quality players we bring in.
Barton Simmons is going to have to be a miracle worker!
That AND big-money NIL elsewhere that we're not hearing much about at VU. Maybe it's there but, as a private institution, VU just doesn't have to reveal it?
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Go Vandy, I’m a year younger than you. I saw my first VU football game in 1968. I’ve decided to give the program until 2028 to get somewhat turned around and stabilized. The stadium enhancements should be mostly in place by then ( hopefully). If we’re still staring into the black hole in 2028, I will probably give up my 4 season tickets. I will have given them part of 60 years of my life.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm not complaining in a 17-14 loss at an SEC opponents place when this game could have easily been won. I'm sure many on this board don't remember this but Vandy was outscored 164-31 in the last 3 games (sarcasm alert). This is actually refreshing so yeah moral victories are a thing again.

I'm not sure what the expectation is in 2032 but with a loaded SEC that will be even more loaded, I don't see it even then. I honestly don't think Vandy will be in another bowl game in my lifetime and I'm in my 50's.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

And for the few who think a new stadium will solve everything:

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1 ... Aik6UxeGSA

And that was with the Cardinal coming off a big win at Notre Dame last weekend. Stanford Stadium is only 15 years old, and gorgeous.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

We're less than 10 years away from perrenial "6 Win/Music City Bowl"-type level IMHO. Not sure there's much more to be expected/hoped for than that though- especially w/the SEC continuing to add more and more industrial grade football factories...
Vandy sr
Seaman

Post by Vandy sr »

Time to join conference USA. We would be a better fit in all sports. Good bye sec and good riddance!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The only sport we aren't competitive or nearly competitive in SEC is football: if we improve that sport we are fine. I say this knowing Thursday night our soccer team plays UT to see who finishes first in the East and lots of other sports are right up there. Go Dores.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Mike Wright is a good football player and I wish we'd find a place on the field for him, but he probably wouldn't be a starting QB in Conference USA, either.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Some good signs, and I am not sure what we mean by turn around? If winning 6 games/2 SEC and being in a bowl is accurately called a turn around I say two seasons. If you are looking for 9-4 I say may never happen. This would not be the fault of anyone, but the reality of where college football has moved. Free agency and paying players has completely changed the college game.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:33 pm The only sport we aren't competitive or nearly competitive in SEC is football: if we improve that sport we are fine. I say this knowing Thursday night our soccer team plays UT to see who finishes first in the East and lots of other sports are right up there. Go Dores.
True statement. And those who advocate leaving the SEC to benefit the football success, may not realize that without the SEC money, those other sports will suffer greatly. And a move still doesn't guarantee football success.
Vandy sr
Seaman

Post by Vandy sr »

The sec in football are becoming semi-pro teams with the money they spend on building teams. Vanderbilt will continue to try to build a team the old way recruiting and building a team if they hold on to their top players and don’t lose them in the transfer portal. The best Vandy can hope for is maybe a 6 win season. Vandy needs to find a conference without semi-pro football. We are not very good in football,men’s and women’s basketball or any money making sport. Just a thought!
Locked Previous topicNext topic