Video: Clark Lea talks to press about Elon preparation (8/30)

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Video: Clark Lea talks to press about Elon preparation (8/30)

Post by BrentVU »

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Video: Clark Lea talks to press about Elon preparation (8/30)

Post by BrentVU »

BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

“I thought our kids played hard, demonstrated physicality and I thought we did a nice job of taking what they were giving us. It was nice to see a lot of people get involved, a lot of people touch the ball whether they were running it or pass catchers. And we talked about that – everyone has to play complementary football and everyone has to have a piece in what we’re doing.”

Lynch, in his second year with the program, really saw the Vanderbilt offense begin to emerge toward the end of the 2021 season. After a demoralizing loss to Mississippi State in which the Dores scored six points and mustered just 155 yards, Vandy started to show signs of life over the final four games of the schedule in which it averaged 20.8 points per game – seven points more than the previous eight games of the year.

Part of that trend turnaround coincided with quarterback Mike Wright being handed the reigns to the offense while starting quarterback Ken Seals was sidelined with an injury.

“I thought we got better as the year went on, for sure, and then started to get in a rhythm there late,” Lynch said. “Then as we got back in January to build upon what we were forming, we did a great job in spring practice and into fall camp. I think we’ve been a consistent offense through spring practice and fall camp.

“That’s what I challenged our guys with Friday night was, ‘Just be the same offense. Do everything you’ve done to this point through practice and fall camp and everything else will take care of itself.’ I thought, for the most part, that’s who we were and it was good to have some success.”

VUCommodores: Lynch Pins Success on Offseason Consistency: Vandy OC saw unit grow toward end of 2021
(by Chad Bishop)
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

And after the Rainbow Warriors marched 75 yards in eight plays to go up 7-0 less than three minutes into the game, Vandy allowed just 283 yards and three points from there and stopped Hawai’i all four times it tried to convert a fourth-down play.

“There were no real adjustments,” Vandy senior Elijah McAllister said. “We knew that it was a misfit on our end. That (early) touchdown happened because of us, not because of anything they did. So it was just about communicating with each other and knowing that we just needed to play to our standard, our level as a defense and everything was going to happen.”

Defensive Dominance: Dores look to carry momentum from opening-week performance
(by Chad Bishop)
Locked Previous topicNext topic