Post Hawaii Thoughts

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lynchsr
Captain

Post Hawaii Thoughts

Post by Lynchsr »

Offense:
I really liked the play calling. For the first time since maybe Ludwig, the offense found something that worked and stayed with it. The perimeter run was there and Vandy had 5-6 different plays that put the ball in athletes hand on the perimeter and kept running them over and over. There was a lot of counters (movement one way and then the ball the other way).

I didn’t see a lot from the passing game, but I did see some great blocks by the WRs including a de clearer on Wrights long TD. It was also nice to see the TE involved in the passing game. Even a TE screen that worked and got a first down.

Hawaii’s defense was bad, BUT it took the Vandy players breaking tackles and running through the arm tackles.

The RBs seemed explosive getting to the second level.

The OL should gain some confidence from this game. They had some aggressive penalties early but I think it is a mindset and a message they were trying to send. They have a lot of pride and aren’t going to be a punchline.

Defense:
IF, and a big IF, the Hawaii OL is as good as they were hyped to be (best part of the Hawaii team according to CBS Sports), this defense will be OK. Way better than last year. The DL got pressure on the QB without blitzing and by blitzing. Several different looks

When WRs got open or made catches, there was multiple VU defenders to bring them down. There were very few plays were the VU defenders were chasing WRs with 5+ yards of separation. I get it, HI doesn’t have SEC talent, but either did UCON or CSU last year and in those games VU DBs were burned regularly.

This unit will give up some points, but I think teams will have to earn them more than last year. Fewer big plays from our opponents. Even on HI’s opening drive TD they had to convert 2 or 3 third downs. The long 37yd TD run was a blown assignment by the safety and LB. It was more of a mental mistake in execution then a talent of scheme deficiency. Those thing happen in week 0.

The Wake Forest and N IL games are winnable. Not sure things but the over on 2.5 wins seems like a good bet at the moment.