Notre Dame AD talks about the "inevitable" breakup of DI college athletics

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Notre Dame AD talks about the "inevitable" breakup of DI college athletics

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

This was an interesting interview published in Sports Illustrated over the weekend. I also believe that a breakup is inevitable along the lines of what he envisions, and the timing he mentions (mid-2030s) would be consistent with the expiration of many conferences' media rights deals. I know there's been a lot of speculation about the Power Five programs breaking away from the rest of DI, but like Swarbrick I tend to think it will be more seismic than that, along two fault lines: universities will ultimately have to decide what their relationship is with their major revenue-producing sports programs and their student-athletes, and future media rights deals could fundamentally reshape what bigtime college football looks like.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told Sports Illustrated that he believes the breakup of college sports at the NCAA Division I level is “inevitable,” and puts a potential target date on that seismic change as the mid-2030s. Swarbrick also said there are “so many” schools trying to leave their current conferences, but they’re handcuffed by existing contracts.

In a wide-ranging interview with SI, the only athletic director who is part of the College Football Playoff Management Committee said the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/23/n ... n-1-change

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Notre Dame AD talks about the "inevitable" breakup of DI college athletics

Post by FayetteDore »

Thanks for posting.

That last paragraph in your excerpt says it all:
[T]he only athletic director who is part of the College Football Playoff Management Committee said the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

Echoes what we have discussed on here ad infinitum. It will be interesting to see on which side of that fracture line Vanderbilt stands. I THINK I know, but man, how would you like THAT decision (integrity v. $60M a year) to be on your shoulders.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

I think a multi-billion dollar endowment is bigger than 60 million but I dunno I was never great at math.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Hi Fayette, I think the $60 million would be balanced against the cost of maintaining the programs and debt service/ amortization or whatever on wildly expensive facilities and academic admins may say to hell with the whole thing. We may well say to athletes, coaches, and such in the future: "Be careful what you wish for !"
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

The line between professional sports and collegiate sports will become more blurred that you won't recognize it the mid-2030s.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

There were $100 handshakes in the 50s. There has been a disconnect between academics and athletics, at least in the top 40-50 programs since the 60s. To believe college athletics were strictly "amateur" until the last 3-4 years IMOO is at best naive.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Yeah, no one is arguing THAT point.

The subject at hand is : the AD at Notre Dame - NOTRE DAME! - says a breakup of college athletics is "inevitable." Do we believe he's right, and if so, where does VU end up when the inevitable occurs. And does it happen sooner than the AD's projection of 12-14 years from now.

I believe he's correct on the inevitability part, but I believe it will happen sooner than the mid-2030s.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Mid-2030s? What are the chances that Vandy becomes is coming off several winning seasons and bowl appearances by then?
Locked Previous topicNext topic