Article From The Athletic on Coach Ralph-Vandy

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Article From The Athletic on Coach Ralph-Vandy

Post by MikeADore »

There is an article in The Athletic by Joe Rexrode this morning that is said to be extremely complimentary of coach Ralph and what is happening in the Vandy program. I no longer have a subscription, but I did find these two paragraphs posted on another website. Thought you might want to see it, too:

From the Athletic article:

"The last glimpse of Ralph in her debut season was that of a coach at the podium trying to process how her team squandered a 14-point lead late to lose a game it mostly controlled. She blamed herself for late out-of-bounds plays that didn’t work. She said she was proud of her players and also hoped this would be a lesson on the intensity required to finish such games.​

She responded to a question on the late officiating — a key charging call on Cambridge was hard to understand — as such: “I have been instructed several times not to talk about the officiating on my walk here, so I won’t say anything about it. But I can tell you if you want to look back at my reaction, you’ll get exactly what I think about it.”​

Those reactions, and the ongoing smolder after a cooldown period, looked like someone very unhappy with the officiating. Also, someone with the fire this program has needed."​

Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Re: Article From The Athletic on Coach Ralph-Vandy

Post by Dore2Dore »

Amen! We were hosed & disrespected!! Am proud we have this coach & staff, proud of each of these young ladies! Proud to be a fan of theirs!
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

Officiating -

As I approach 21,900 days of following Vanderbilt sports, I have come to the conclusion that a few (not all, but some) SEC officials have a bias against Vanderbilt. This maybe conscious or unconscious, but there have been too many calls or non-calls to be overlooked.

It is almost as if they feel Vanderbilt 'doesn't belong in the SEC,' because we "don't take sports seriously." I could recount many examples, but Flopper Grant Williams is near the top of the list.

CONQUER!!.... and PREVAIL!!!
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

great point abvandy - both BB teams, FB, unsure about Baseball (probably scared of Corbs) - seem to rarely be the beneficiary of 50/50 or questionable calls; and most certainly late in games; is it "because of Vanderbilt's academic standings", or because we "aren't supposed to win" , or something else? I just know it has been going on a long time. I think CSR & CJS are strong coaches so hopefully we have the ability to overcome this bias.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Dore2Dore wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:06 pm great point abvandy - both BB teams, FB, unsure about Baseball (probably scared of Corbs) - seem to rarely be the beneficiary of 50/50 or questionable calls; and most certainly late in games; is it "because of Vanderbilt's academic standings", or because we "aren't supposed to win" , or something else? I just know it has been going on a long time. I think CSR & CJS are strong coaches so hopefully we have the ability to overcome this bias.
There are so many dynamics to the subject of bias but one of them is the idea of bias against perceived elites. Could simply be described as jealousy, but I suspect there are a few who perceive VU as elitist and, consciously or not , want to "cut us down to size".
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

Exactly, OldDude.

And. there is almost every year, the apparent practice of "Let's protect the national ranked (..cough Alabama...cough, Kentucky...) team that has a real shot at bringing a Gloriou$$ Victory to the $$EC."

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Let's not play he victim
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MikeADore wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:39 am...She responded to a question on the late officiating — a key charging call on Cambridge was hard to understand — as such: “I have been instructed several times not to talk about the officiating on my walk here, so I won’t say anything about it. But I can tell you if you want to look back at my reaction, you’ll get exactly what I think about it.”​

Those reactions, and the ongoing smolder after a cool down period, looked like someone very unhappy with the officiating. Also, someone with the fire this program has needed."​
Have to really like that. she got her point across without risking a fine. And she was right.
Locked Previous topicNext topic