For anyone still wondering about SPJ's plans

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

For anyone still wondering about SPJ's plans

Post by Go Vandy! »

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: For anyone still wondering about SPJ's plans

Post by UltimateVUFan »

That and he’s getting some love in some mock drafts as an early-mid 2nd round pick
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Current projection for several prominent mock drafts re: SPjr NBA 2022 draft

Hoops Hype: undrafted
Yahoo Sports: undrafted
Tankathon: undrafted
NBADraftRoom: 2nd round to Cleveland
USAToday: undrafted
Hoop-Social: undrafted

Out of the six I looked at, one has him getting drafted. Saben Lee didn't get much love from the mocks and he did get drafted, so mocks are not everything... but I only found ONE projecting him to get drafted. If there are others, feel free to list them.

Isn't McCormick a Titans beat writer? When did he start covering VU hoops?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

If he wants to go let him go. I would make a different decision if I wasn't going in the first round. Maybe he has more fun at the end of this year and isn't in a rush to get out of a place where he feels that the games weren't mattering and we were getting pounded.

Not anymore, we have a pretty good team and next year we would be even better with SPJ
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:29 pm If he wants to go let him go. I would make a different decision if I wasn't going in the first round. Maybe he has more fun at the end of this year and isn't in a rush to get out of a place where he feels that the games weren't mattering and we were getting pounded.

Not anymore, we have a pretty good team and next year we would be even better with SPJ
Maybe he wants the degree he's one year shy of earning... Unlike many others, he's from as very fortunate background and doesn't need the $$$. Besides he can do fine with the NIL.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I noticed Chandler, the PG at uut has fallen from 33 to 48th on the S I mock draft.

Tshiebwe went from undrafted (?) to #52

Davison at Bama dropped from #13 (which was ridiculous) to #37

Ellis at Bama dropped from 23 to 33. (With all the talent at Bama this season, their record should be better)

Alondes Williams, G, Wake Forest has gone from undrafted to #30 which is a HUGE jump. :o :shock:

Eason at LSU has gone from undrafted to #24, an even bigger jump.

Agbaji, guard, Kansas has jumped from 34 to 16.

E.J. Liddell, F, Ohio State jumped from 35 to 13.

Jeremy Sochan, F, Baylor jumped from 31 to 13. (Was seriously recruited by Vandy)

A.J. Griffin, F, Duke from 32 to 10...I don't see it, for an 18 year old 6-6 forward unless he's Jordan-ish.

Shaedon Sharpe, G, Kentucky from unranked to top-10. (was unranked because they thought he was returning)

*** Some of the highest ascending players are 3rd or 4th year guys for whatever that is worth
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Ok, this may come out wrong but if Saben Lee was drafted at #38 in 2020, Pippen should be drafted. They are virtually the same size but Pippen can do so many more things (including shooting). I'm really not trying to bad mouth Lee as he definitely contributed at Vandy and made the most of his talents. I just think Pippen is a way more complete, NBA ready player that can contribute right away. Pippen's downside is his size and maybe his high turnover rate but his overall package seems like an early 2nd round player.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Lee is freakish athletic, especially relative to SPJ. Many games at VU he was the most athletic guy on the court (SEC games included). Not to mention his size and length (has about 10 pounds on SPJ and a 6’9 wingspan).
Last edited by UltimateVUFan on Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:58 pm Ok, this may come out wrong but if Saben Lee was drafted at #38 in 2020, Pippen should be drafted. They are virtually the same size but Pippen can do so many more things (including shooting). I'm really not trying to bad mouth Lee as he definitely contributed at Vandy and made the most of his talents. I just think Pippen is a way more complete, NBA ready player that can contribute right away. Pippen's downside is his size and maybe his high turnover rate but his overall package seems like an early 2nd round player.
I don't know about that - Pippen is a better distributor and a more saavy player, but Saben Lee is far more athletic than Pippen - that is pretty obvious from watching the two play. Pippen is a better shooter, but it isn't a drastic difference - for their careers, Lee shot 32.8% from three, Pippen 33.9%. From the line Lee was a 71.8% FT shooter while has shot 75.8%. Inside the arc Lee hit 52.7% while Pippen hits 46.1%. They are about as efficient offensively all put together, with Pippen shooting FT's more often, though not dramatically so. Pippen is more polished in most areas, but Lee is much more athletic. Pippen might be drafted, but question most GM's would have is does he have enough athleticism to allow his skills to translate to the next level. If he were just a little more athletic or a few inches taller we probably aren't having this discussion, and PIppen would be a 1st rounder.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:58 pm Ok, this may come out wrong but if Saben Lee was drafted at #38 in 2020, Pippen should be drafted. They are virtually the same size but Pippen can do so many more things (including shooting). I'm really not trying to bad mouth Lee as he definitely contributed at Vandy and made the most of his talents. I just think Pippen is a way more complete, NBA ready player that can contribute right away. Pippen's downside is his size and maybe his high turnover rate but his overall package seems like an early 2nd round player.
Saben has elite quickness and he can defend elite quickness.
I agree SPG has a much more complete game (more complete than what Saben showed us at VU anyway) and if I could have Jr year Saben or Jr year SPJ on my college team I'd take SPJ without hesitation. But as an NBA team, the priorities might be different. Saben has an attribute that is literally as good as anyone in the NBA, and it can't be learned or taught. Not sure you can say that about Pippen.
Locked Previous topicNext topic