Why St. Josephs?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Why St. Josephs?

Post by MikeADore »

I've wondered why we wound up scheduling a trip to Philadelphia to play St. Josephs. It's not exactly a natural rivalry or a trip you would make considering how many other, closer teams you could play. Well, I got the answer listening to Charlie Saturday night. St. Joe's is coached by Cindy Griffin, who was formerly known as Cindy Anderson. She was an assistant for several years under Jim Foster at Vandy, including the final-four team. I'm assuming we'll see a return visit from them next year.

On another note, I'm hoping one is our new signees, Ryanne Allen, can slip away and make it to the game. She lives in Philly, and I'm very excited to see her offensive abilities on display at Vandy. The girl can shoot.

vandyfan52
Ensign

Re: Why St. Josephs?

Post by vandyfan52 »

I am wondering if the game with St. Joe's might have something to do with our very own, Christina Foggie as well? I believe that she was working as an athletic department administrator at Joe's before she returned to Vandy this year.
Regardless of the reason/s, I am happy and thankful about it as I live in Philly so plan to attend the game. Hoping to provide a report as well.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

You're exactly right. I had forgotten about Christina being there, so I'm sure that was a big factor in the scheduling. I hope you have some ear plugs, vandyfan52. It's St. Joe's "Education Day" game, so there will be plenty of screeching young'uns on hand. The good news is, if they're like the kids at Vandy's Education Day, they'll cheer for us as well as the home team. They just like cheering.

If you see Ryanne Allen at the game, tell her I said "hey." :mrgreen:
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Also, Jim Foster began his coaching career there, so we've got some long-standing ties to the school.
4Dores
Seaman

Post by 4Dores »

Also Jim Foster was a head coach at St. Joseph and had a young assistant Geno Auriemma on his staff.
Locked Previous topicNext topic